Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to Rhyd6,eyeball08,Wondergirly,bofh,johnstevens77, for Donating to support the site

Self Assessment Payment Reminders

Practical Issues
staffordian
Lemon Quarter

Self Assessment Payment Reminders

Postby staffordian » January 7th, 2017, 1:22 pm

So far this month I have received three emails and one text message from HMRC urging me not to forget to pay my dues by the end of the month. Though to be fair, it's really only two emails, because the first told me I had to pay by 31 January 2016, and the second was to correct the first...

What is a little annoying, and not a little concerning, is that in May 2016 I set up a direct debit dated for 19 January 2017 for the balance due.

Is it beyond the capabilities of HMRC to not send reminders to those who have made payment arangements which they are clearly aware of?

When I received the first message, my immediate reaction was that somehow my direct debit was no longer in force, but when I logged in, it was fine. At least todays email does say ignore it if you have set up a direct debit or already paid, but the text and the first two emails didn't. Not a shining example of good practice or good customer service IMHO.

Rant over :)

Staffordian

PinkDalek
Lemon Half

Re: Self Assessment Payment Reminders

Postby PinkDalek » January 7th, 2017, 2:59 pm

staffordian wrote:... Is it beyond the capabilities of HMRC to not send reminders to those who have made payment arangements which they are clearly aware of? ...

It does not seem unreasonable to remind taxpayers of their liabilities or, in your case, to ensure there are sufficient funds in the account to meet the direct debit.

staffordian
Lemon Quarter

Re: Self Assessment Payment Reminders

Postby staffordian » January 7th, 2017, 3:23 pm

Yes, that's a good point. I suppose some folk may forget they've set up a DD so not have funds in place.

But if it were me setting up the reminders, I'd send one message to those with a DD simply reminding them about it, and a "remember to pay" message to those who haven't.

Maybe they don't have the expertise to do that though.

Staffordian

Return to “Taxes (Practical)”