Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to eyeball08,Wondergirly,bofh,johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva, for Donating to support the site

Declare SIPP Dividends on Tax Return?

Practical Issues
foundone
Lemon Pip

Declare SIPP Dividends on Tax Return?

Postby foundone » January 17th, 2017, 1:56 pm

My accountant has asked me what contributions I made to my SIPP for my tax return. I replied that I didn't make any contributions, just reinvested dividend payments. They are now asking for details of these. Is this correct? I was under the impression that the money was regarded as part of the fund and the reinvested dividends didn't need to be declared, the fund is in drawdown if this makes any difference.

genou
Lemon Quarter

Re: Declare SIPP Dividends on Tax Return?

Postby genou » January 17th, 2017, 2:03 pm

foundone wrote:My accountant has asked me what contributions I made to my SIPP for my tax return. I replied that I didn't make any contributions, just reinvested dividend payments. They are now asking for details of these. Is this correct? I was under the impression that the money was regarded as part of the fund and the reinvested dividends didn't need to be declared, the fund is in drawdown if this makes any difference.

I can't imagine why they need this. Are you sure that they understand that the dividend cash never left the SIPP?

pochisoldi
Lemon Slice

Postby pochisoldi » January 17th, 2017, 3:49 pm

foundone wrote:My accountant has asked me what contributions I made to my SIPP for my tax return. I replied that I didn't make any contributions, just reinvested dividend payments. They are now asking for details of these. Is this correct? I was under the impression that the money was regarded as part of the fund and the reinvested dividends didn't need to be declared, the fund is in drawdown if this makes any difference.

Instead of saying "I didn't make any contributions, just reinvested dividend payments." you should have said "I didn't make any contributions"

Now the accountant thinks that you have taken dividend payments from shares outside the SIPP and invested these monies in the SIPP.
If they had a brain cell they would have realised that this contradicts your statement that "I didn't make any contributions" and should have asked for clarification. I would have expected a more logical way of thinking from an accountant...

PochiSoldi

Gengulphus
Lemon Quarter

Postby Gengulphus » January 19th, 2017, 3:56 am

pochisoldi wrote:

Instead of saying "I didn't make any contributions, just reinvested dividend payments." you should have said "I didn't make any contributions"

Now the accountant thinks that you have taken dividend payments from shares outside the SIPP and invested these monies in the SIPP.
If they had a brain cell they would have realised that this contradicts your statement that "I didn't make any contributions" and should have asked for clarification. I would have expected a more logical way of thinking from an accountant...

In fairness to the accountant, they could well have realised that the second part of "I didn't make any contributions, just reinvested dividend payments." contradicts the first part, but be uncertain how to resolve that contradiction. Having brain cells doesn't make them mind-readers about issues such as whether the dividends concerned come from inside or outside the SIPP and whether foundone understands correctly what a "contribution" is... And asking for details of the dividend payments is a method of asking for clarification on such issues!

Gengulphus

foundone
Lemon Pip

Postby foundone » February 4th, 2017, 9:44 am

The previous three posters are all correct. It turns out they thought I was using my PSC dividends to top up my SIPP

Return to “Taxes (Practical)”