Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to Wasron,jfgw,Rhyd6,eyeball08,Wondergirly, for Donating to support the site

CGT carry forward losses

Practical Issues
Blagdon
Lemon Pip

CGT carry forward losses

Postby Blagdon » March 20th, 2024, 3:49 pm

If I make a CGT profit that exceeds my CGT allowance, do I have to utilise carry forward losses, or can I chose to pay the tax and keep my carry forward losses for use in a later tax year?

Background...
* I have about £15,000 of carry forward GCT losses
* This tax year & next I will have unused basic rate band - thereafter I expect to pay higher rate tax for evermore
* Although I have used my CGT allowances every year, I have accumulated and hope to continue accumulating CGT profits well in excess of the reduced CGT allowance

genou
Lemon Quarter

Re: CGT carry forward losses

Postby genou » March 20th, 2024, 7:22 pm

Blagdon wrote:If I make a CGT profit that exceeds my CGT allowance, do I have to utilise carry forward losses, or can I chose to pay the tax and keep my carry forward losses for use in a later tax year?

Background...
* I have about £15,000 of carry forward GCT losses
* This tax year & next I will have unused basic rate band - thereafter I expect to pay higher rate tax for evermore
* Although I have used my CGT allowances every year, I have accumulated and hope to continue accumulating CGT profits well in excess of the reduced CGT allowance

If you don't claim the losses, you can keep them and carry them forward.

Return to “Taxes (Practical)”