Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to eyeball08,Wondergirly,bofh,johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva, for Donating to support the site

US TIPS

Gilts, bonds, and interest-bearing shares
helfordpirate
2 Lemon pips

Re: US TIPS

Postby helfordpirate » February 8th, 2017, 9:41 pm

That's also my understanding .... but whether that means that TIPS are a positive-yielding shorter-duration alternative to linkers depends on what role inflation-linked bonds are playing in your portfolio. If you are a long term accumulator looking for a diversified bond-like asset that will provide some inflation protection then looks like a reasonable alternative- with less interest-rate risk to boot. If you are a deaccumulator spending GBP then what you phrase as "some interim deviations" may be too much - UK CPI in the mid-70s peaked at 24% whereas US was only 14% or so (I dont know what the currency impact was). So in terms of protection from unexpected inflation not so good - linkers even with negative-real yields would have done a better job. Presumably that's why UK pension funds with their onerous responsibility to match their assets to future liabilities keep buying them - and have made linkers one of the best performing asset classes in the last few years (despite no yield)!

(btw I believe TIPS will be subject to CGT whereas linkers are not - obviously if held via a fund/ETF then they both are.)

Return to “Gilts and Bonds”