Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to bruncher,niord,gvonge,Shelford,GrahamPlatt, for Donating to support the site

I don't get it with Index Linkers

Gilts, bonds, and interest-bearing shares
ChrisNix
2 Lemon pips

Re: I don't get it with Index Linkers

Postby ChrisNix » October 5th, 2022, 11:04 am

JohnW wrote:The duration of your bond fund is 18 years; that’s an important characteristic for bond investing because it’s the weighted (by £) average of all the future periods that a bond pays out until redemption at maturity. So if most of the money comes to you at maturity as principal, because interest rates are very low and thus coupon payments are very small, then the duration will be similar (but shorter) than the ‘time to maturity’. Keep 18 years in mind for your circumstances (which you haven’t told us).
A rough and ready use of duration is to inform you how much your bond(s)/fund will drop in price with an interest rate rise. x% rise in interest rates will drop the bond’s value by x% times the duration in years. Your fund should fall 18% for each 1% rise in interest rates - very, very roughly, and not for long.
We’ll come back to that, but before you slit your throat at the prospects of further rate rises, just reflect on how good your portfolio is at present. A 60/40 equity/bond mix, yours, is widely considered very suitable for many investors; we don’t know enough about you to pontificate, but it’s not a bad setup for anyone with a good few years to go. Secondly, what sort of bonds should be in the 40%? There are good reasons to think yours are perfect (however unfortunate the timing of purchase was). High quality bonds have poor returns compared to riskier assets; you just have to accept it if you’re going to hold bonds (and most investors probably should). The risks of bonds are: #1 credit risk (you’ve got that covered with UK treasury as the issuer); #2 interest rate risk (the longer the duration, the more the risk as per the formula above, but also the better the yield usually). The only protection against this is short duration, lower paying bonds); and #3 unexpected inflation (you’ve got that covered as well as anyone can with linkers in the currency you spend, although you’ve added the risk that would come with unexpected deflation).
As long as your investing horizon is long enough to suit 18 year duration bonds, you’ve got a bond holding as good as anyone’s. Some would argue that having only linkers does not give you the protection against deflation that nominal bonds do, but inflation is much more common than deflation, and usually more damaging to your spending capacity. You won’t find many people holding only linkers as their bonds, but the logic of their argument is often not there and the size of the effect they’re worried about likely small. Hopefully we’ll hear some discussion on this.
So, I contend, the only ‘worry’ you have is does the 18 years match your investing horizon? At age 60 it probably still does if you’re planning to live off an ‘at risk’ portfolio of stocks and bonds; beyond 60 years, maybe an 18 year duration bond fund is too long, so what’s a solution?
It’s a truth universally acknowledged that a bond holding should duration match the spending horizon of the bond holder. If your spending needs are a long way off, you should have long bonds since they pay better; but since it exposes you to interest rate risk, no longer than your spending needs. You can roughly calculate your spending ‘duration’ as the average of those future spending years eg if you only need to spend for the next 5 years, the duration is (1+2+3..5)/5=3years. If your spending starts in 6 years and runs for 10 years, the duration is (1+2+3…10)/10 add 6=11.5 years.
Since a bond fund’s duration usually stays unchanged, but your spending duration naturally keeps getting shorter, in order to ‘duration match’ your bonds with your spending you might need/want another (bond) fund (could be cash) which when ‘mixed’ with your long (18 year) bond fund in their relative proportions gives a combined duration that matches your spending horizon. Here you can read about it: https://www.bogleheads.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=318412
Finally, we come back to your 18% drop for every 1% rise in interest rates. How dramatic that fall is, whether it’s actually 12% not 18%, how quickly or slowly the fund recovers its value as the new higher paying bonds come on line varies with the prevailing economic circumstances. Have a look at this bond fund rising inexorably through rising and falling interest rate periods, where the ’18%’ formula just doesn’t seem apparent. https://www.bogleheads.org/forum/viewto ... 2#p5846789
And look at this theoretical analysis showing how your bond fund can recover, hopefully giving you some comfort. https://www.bogleheads.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=360575
You might have stumbled on a genius portfolio, but make the next move well informed.
is there a calculation that can be made to roughly determine the value of an ETF IL bond within that year or two?

I don’t think you can do that, as it relies on predictions, and here’s what we know about those: https://www.marketwatch.com/story/yes-1 ... 2014-10-21

Useful explanation for bond only investors.

But for spending expectations greater than 12 years a long bond portfolio can be expected significantly to underperform one of equities and even property. Periods of high unexpected inflation can also be calamitous. Pretty much the only scenario where the general rule does not pertain is during periods of QE/ultra low interest rates, such as the last 15 years or so.

I'd keep my durations to say seven years unless you have a strong view on falling interest rates.

ChrisNix
2 Lemon pips

Postby ChrisNix » October 5th, 2022, 11:15 am

JohnW wrote:
No, Bonds aren't always a good long term choice. They might be, but not always.

Inflation linked bonds don't offer certain protection against unexpected, or indeed expected, inflation.

I think we need to distinguish between a 'good choice' when you make it, and a 'good choice' when it turns out what that choice's results were.
With that in mind, and considering the former as I was (perhaps unclearly for some readers!), I still think that bonds are a good choice if it's not to be 'only equities'. Happy to hear arguments for gold, real estate, pork belly futures and cash; and even if they are good choices they don't detract from bonds which have unique characteristics, and you either own the business or you lend to it if you want a slice of the action.
True, bonds haven't always had desirable returns: for 7 years index linked bond funds had zero real returns after 2013, and short term US bonds have had negative real returns for the last 13 years (see portfoliovisualizer). But that's knowledge in hindsight; choices are made before the future arrives.
We're now treading over some well trodden ground, but in that spirit I'll just quote https://www.bankofengland.co.uk/statist ... nked-gilts
'Index-linked gilts differ from conventional gilts in that coupon and principal payments are adjusted in line with movements in inflation.' That's protection as good as it gets.

If an index linker is bought at a negative yield I suppose the 'cost' of that negative yield can be viewed as the insurance premium for protecting the real value of the underlying capital.

At some points the premium is exorbitant and it isn't a wise bargain.

ChrisNix
2 Lemon pips

Postby ChrisNix » October 5th, 2022, 11:23 am

JohnW wrote:
GeoffF100 wrote: INXG is an odd investment. The duration is long in comparison with most people's time spans. Why would you want to buy it?

One line of thinking is to hold two bond funds, long and short duration, and to match your investment horizon by varying their proportions as time passes.
Can read about it here: https://www.bogleheads.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=318412
'Just like an investor can match the stock/bond glide path by rebalancing between two or more funds (e.g. a stock fund and a bond fund), an investor can match the duration glide path by rebalancing between two or more bond funds (e.g. a long-term bond fund and a short-term bond fund) such that the average duration of the bond funds matches the glide path for a particular time horizon.'

Let's assume common ground on the merits of holding a short-term bond fund, in particular for retirees or those nearly at that point.

Other than because interest rates were expected to fall (I switched my SIPP 100% into long gilts c. 1994), why would someone own a long-term bond fund ahead of a soundly based stock portfolio, or index tracker?

ChrisNix
2 Lemon pips

Postby ChrisNix » October 5th, 2022, 11:36 am

Speculators for some time have been driving the prices of long end trackers.

In the last twelve months their underlying investors just got very burned (-90% in trough last week):

https://www.hl.co.uk/shares/shares-sear ... linked-gil

[Can't figure out how to get graph on screen]

Chris

GeoffF100
Lemon Quarter

Postby GeoffF100 » October 5th, 2022, 12:23 pm

ChrisNix wrote:Other than because interest rates were expected to fall (I switched my SIPP 100% into long gilts c. 1994), why would someone own a long-term bond fund ahead of a soundly based stock portfolio, or index tracker?

Because long term bond usually rise in value when equities fall in value. They usually smooth the ride. Recently has been an exception. Both asset classes were over-valued and fell together. Property is also over-valued and is expected to be the next asset class for the chop.

mc2fool
Lemon Half

Postby mc2fool » October 5th, 2022, 2:13 pm

ChrisNix wrote:Speculators for some time have been driving the prices of long end trackers.

In the last twelve months their underlying investors just got very burned (-90% in trough last week):

https://www.hl.co.uk/shares/shares-search-results/t/treasury-0.125-22032073-index-linked-gil

[Can't figure out how to get graph on screen]

Chris

Right click on the chart and select Copy Image Link in Firefox or Copy Image Address in Chrome (other browsers are available ;))

Then, in the post you are writing, click the Img button and paste the copied address between the img tags: [img]paste address into here[/img].

Like so: :D

ChrisNix
2 Lemon pips

Postby ChrisNix » October 5th, 2022, 2:37 pm

GeoffF100 wrote:
ChrisNix wrote:Other than because interest rates were expected to fall (I switched my SIPP 100% into long gilts c. 1994), why would someone own a long-term bond fund ahead of a soundly based stock portfolio, or index tracker?

Because long term bond usually rise in value when equities fall in value. They usually smooth the ride. Recently has been an exception. Both asset classes were over-valued and fell together. Property is also over-valued and is expected to be the next asset class for the chop.

Sorry, but we're talking about 12 years plus. Such thinking is short term, and such variations even out in the long run. Smoothing the ride isn't a major issue if the assets chosen are mainstream.

Any other theories?

GeoffF100
Lemon Quarter

Postby GeoffF100 » October 5th, 2022, 3:24 pm

ChrisNix wrote:
GeoffF100 wrote:

Sorry, but we're talking about 12 years plus. Such thinking is short term, and such variations even out in the long run. Smoothing the ride isn't a major issue if the assets chosen are mainstream.

Any other theories?

It is not a theory. It is a fact. That is the main reason why people buy long dated government bonds particularly. They can outperform equities for decades. 12 years is not long in the stock market. The Vanguards of this world have little choice but to invest their bond allocation in aggregate bond funds which hold the long and the short and everything else, because of the sheer volume of money they are investing.

GeoffF100
Lemon Quarter

Postby GeoffF100 » October 5th, 2022, 3:43 pm

I should add that long dated nominal (rather than index linked) government bonds are the most likely to move in the opposite direction to equities in most market conditions.

ChrisNix
2 Lemon pips

Postby ChrisNix » October 5th, 2022, 4:40 pm

GeoffF100 wrote:
ChrisNix wrote:
GeoffF100 wrote:

Any other theories?

It is not a theory. It is a fact. That is the main reason why people buy long dated government bonds particularly. They can outperform equities for decades. 12 years is not long in the stock market. The Vanguards of this world have little choice but to invest their bond allocation in aggregate bond funds which hold the long and the short and everything else, because of the sheer volume of money they are investing.

Over the past 120 years the number of times in the UK long bonds have outperformed equities over periods of twelve years plus is small. You may be able to find a period or two which backs your theory, but the probabilities are against you.

ChrisNix
2 Lemon pips

Postby ChrisNix » October 5th, 2022, 4:43 pm

GeoffF100 wrote:I should add that long dated nominal (rather than index linked) government bonds are the most likely to move in the opposite direction to equities in most market conditions.

Another theory. Equities have longer duration than most bonds but lower interest rates have tended to benefit both and vice versa.

Over say ten year plus periods inflation has bashed long bonds much more than equities.

GeoffF100
Lemon Quarter

Postby GeoffF100 » October 5th, 2022, 5:27 pm

ChrisNix wrote:
GeoffF100 wrote:
ChrisNix wrote:
GeoffF100 wrote:

Any other theories?

Over the past 120 years the number of times in the UK long bonds have outperformed equities over periods of twelve years plus is small. You may be able to find a period or two which backs your theory, but the probabilities are against you.

You have picked a market where that is true.

GeoffF100
Lemon Quarter

Postby GeoffF100 » October 5th, 2022, 5:43 pm

ChrisNix wrote:
GeoffF100 wrote:I should add that long dated nominal (rather than index linked) government bonds are the most likely to move in the opposite direction to equities in most market conditions.

Another theory. Equities have longer duration than most bonds but lower interest rates have tended to benefit both and vice versa.

Over say ten year plus periods inflation has bashed long bonds much more than equities.

If you think I am wrong, you explain to me why people buy them.

ChrisNix
2 Lemon pips

Postby ChrisNix » October 5th, 2022, 5:54 pm

GeoffF100 wrote:
ChrisNix wrote:

Profit share on investment of other people's money?

GeoffF100
Lemon Quarter

Postby GeoffF100 » October 5th, 2022, 6:21 pm

ChrisNix wrote:
GeoffF100 wrote:
ChrisNix wrote:

Who makes more money by investing their clients' money in bonds rather than equities? What does the FCA have to say about this? Here is a Vanguard article:

https://www.vanguardinvestor.co.uk/arti ... sification

They thought that a mixed portfolio of equities and bonds was a good idea, as did most of the financial services industry. It did not work out well recently. Could Vanguard have advised people to drop their bond holdings?

ChrisNix
2 Lemon pips

Postby ChrisNix » October 5th, 2022, 6:49 pm

GeoffF100 wrote:
ChrisNix wrote:
GeoffF100 wrote:
ChrisNix wrote:

Who makes more money by investing their clients' money in bonds rather than equities? What does the FCA have to say about this? Here is a Vanguard article:

https://www.vanguardinvestor.co.uk/arti ... sification

They thought that a mixed portfolio of equities and bonds was a good idea, as did most of the financial services industry. It did not work out well recently. Could Vanguard have advised people to drop their bond holdings?

Managers of other people's money often do. But seasoned investment professionals less so.

When I was a pension trustee we funded the first ten years or so with a cash flow matched bond portfolio. The rest of the portfolio was invested to earn the long term risk premium.

What time period are those correlations based on? Unless looking at returns over period of a decade plus such metrics are inapplicable.

GeoffF100
Lemon Quarter

Postby GeoffF100 » October 5th, 2022, 7:23 pm

If an adviser recommends too many equities and it goes wrong he has to pay compensation. If he recommends lots of bonds and it goes wrong, he gets off Scot free. Nonetheless, people hold $trillions of bonds. Are they wrong to do that? Are they paying too much?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Equity_premium_puzzle

ChrisNix
2 Lemon pips

Postby ChrisNix » October 5th, 2022, 10:39 pm

GeoffF100 wrote:If an adviser recommends too many equities and it goes wrong he has to pay compensation. If he recommends lots of bonds and it goes wrong, he gets off Scot free. Nonetheless, people hold $trillions of bonds. Are they wrong to do that? Are they paying too much?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Equity_premium_puzzle

It depends on investor being advised.

If a 70 year old retiree who needs his savings to live on for the rest of his life, equities probably not the greatest idea.

But a 40 year old in prime of career probably doesn't need any long term bonds, and equities a safe bet over his time to retirement.

JohnW
Lemon Slice

Postby JohnW » October 6th, 2022, 12:02 am

I think you’re right to be a bit ‘anti-bonds’, but……
‘for spending expectations greater than 12 years a long bond portfolio can be expected significantly to underperform one of equities ‘

I think it can be useful to distinguish ‘expected returns’ in the mathematical sense ie some measure of central tendency like average, and ‘expected’ returns in the common parlance sense that this is what we expect to happen. Most of us would read your sentence in the latter sense, and if so I think it’s useful to keep in mind that we should really expect other outcomes to occur as an alternative although less commonly. So, equities could do terribly for decades while bonds chugged along; in truth this seems very unlikely if you diversify enough, but French equities started going backwards in about 1918 and took a century to recover. In short, if you choose ‘no bonds’ you need to be prepared to face a lower return than having some bonds. Many of us will give up on ‘likely doing better’ for avoiding something avoidable. Brains are strange things.
‘I'd keep my durations to say seven years unless you have a strong view on falling interest rates.’

If you are going to hold bonds, then duration matching makes sense, so ‘staying at 7 years’ doesn’t manage interest rate risk as well as owning a long and a short duration bond fund which vary in their proportions according to your own timeline.
‘(excluding for retirees or those nearly at that point) why would someone own a long-term bond fund ahead of a soundly based stock portfolio, or index tracker?’

Having a regular income from a secure job which delivers a DC pension is like owning a massive bond fund; so, for those without such a job bond holdings are an alternative source of comfort.
Secondly, if you can’t stomach the volatility of stocks then bonds help you avoid capitulating at the wrong time.
Thirdly, one might be building a bond ladder of inflation linked bonds.
Lastly, you’re reasonably talking about 12 years as a ‘safe’ timeframe for equities, but 11 years from retirement is not ‘nearly at retirement’.
‘Over say ten year plus periods inflation has bashed long bonds much more than equities.’

You’ve committed a common sin here of ignoring inflation linked bonds in your reasoning. Perhaps most bond holders don’t hold a substantial proportion of the their bonds as linkers, but there’s a good argument that they should. I have a memory that there have been 3 or 4 decades in the last century during which stocks returns have not kept up with inflation, but it doesn’t invalidate your argument.
Lastly, I feel the argument against bonds, or anything else, is less persuasive when that asset class is doing poorly. If you can win the argument when they’re doing well, you’ve really won.
After lastly, if you think you get the best risk adjusted return from investing according to market capitalisation, as per Sharpe, then you need a ‘market’ portfolio which includes a lot of bonds. Clearly, every individual’s circumstances don’t seem well suited to that, but there it is.

GeoffF100
Lemon Quarter

Postby GeoffF100 » October 6th, 2022, 9:28 am

To quote a cliche, it is all in the price. Mr Market thinks that the relative pricing of equities and bonds is correct. Mr Market has average risk tolerance. If you are more risk averse, you will favour bonds and if you are less risk averse, you will favour equities. Mr Market sometimes gets it wrong. He usually assumes that the future will be like the past, and that the immediate future will be like the immediate past. That is usually right, but sometimes it is wrong. Nobody knows the future.

Return to “Gilts and Bonds”