Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to eyeball08,Wondergirly,bofh,johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva, for Donating to support the site

Worldwide Fund ETF

Index tracking funds and ETFs
Walrus
Lemon Slice

Worldwide Fund ETF

Postby Walrus » December 24th, 2018, 12:58 pm

First time I've posted on this board and it's a pretty straightforward question.

I'm looking for a passive investment preferable an ETF as I don't want to pay HL it's 0.45 percent, to direct funds into as a catch all investment outside of my stock picking and active portfolios.

I guess really what I'm looking for is a world tracker with low fees. Is there any consensus around what is the most appropriate choice for this type of thing?

cheers

TwentyTurtles

Re: Worldwide Fund ETF

Postby TwentyTurtles » December 24th, 2018, 1:27 pm

VWRL is pretty much the go to if you're looking for an ETF. Personally I'm in the Vanguard FTSE Global All Cap as I prefer the increased diversity, but thats an OEIC not ETF - have you decided against holding your passive portfolio with a cheaper provider? http://monevator.com/compare-uk-cheapes ... e-brokers/

mc2fool
Lemon Half

Postby mc2fool » December 24th, 2018, 1:39 pm

Walrus wrote:First time I've posted on this board and it's a pretty straightforward question.

I'm looking for a passive investment preferable an ETF as I don't want to pay HL it's 0.45 percent, to direct funds into as a catch all investment outside of my stock picking and active portfolios.

I guess really what I'm looking for is a world tracker with low fees. Is there any consensus around what is the most appropriate choice for this type of thing?

You could do worse than look at the Vanguard All World and Developed World ETFs, with OCFs of 0.25% and 0.18% respectively. https://www.vanguardinvestor.co.uk/what-we-offer/etf-products

Shame you are with HL as otherwise Vanguard's Developed World ex-U.K. Fund (0.15%) might well complement your UK exposure.

There is also the iShares Core MSCI World ETF with a USD class (0.2%) and a GBP Hedged class (0.3%). https://www.ishares.com/uk/individual/en/products/251882/ishares-msci-world-ucits-etf-acc-fund

Walrus
Lemon Slice

Postby Walrus » December 24th, 2018, 2:29 pm

TwentyTurtles wrote:VWRL is pretty much the go to if you're looking for an ETF. Personally I'm in the Vanguard FTSE Global All Cap as I prefer the increased diversity, but thats an OEIC not ETF - have you decided against holding your passive portfolio with a cheaper provider? http://monevator.com/compare-uk-cheapes ... e-brokers/

You raise a good point. Actually I'm not adverse to opening a new brokerage account. In fact that actually has some advantages. If you don't mind me asking what is more diverse that a world wide etf? As ultimately I'm looking for a straight forward product that I can just dump money into without having to worry about. I have enough to think about with my current active investments ;)

TwentyTurtles

Postby TwentyTurtles » December 24th, 2018, 2:40 pm

Walrus wrote: If you don't mind me asking what is more diverse that a world wide etf? As ultimately I'm looking for a straight forward product that I can just dump money into without having to worry about. I have enough to think about with my current active investments ;)

The world is a big place, what exactly do you mean by all-world. Are you talking every single company in the world? That's a *lot*. Or are you talking large cap companies only? Or a mix of large and small etc. The FTSE Global All Cap as the name suggests contains a mixture of capitalisations and so contains 6000 companies, double that of the VWRL which contains only large cap. For whatever reason its also 0.01% cheaper.

Walrus
Lemon Slice

Postby Walrus » December 24th, 2018, 2:44 pm

TwentyTurtles wrote:
Walrus wrote: If you don't mind me asking what is more diverse that a world wide etf? As ultimately I'm looking for a straight forward product that I can just dump money into without having to worry about. I have enough to think about with my current active investments ;)

The world is a big place, what exactly do you mean by all-world. Are you talking every single company in the world? That's a *lot*. Or are you talking large cap companies only? Or a mix of large and small etc. The FTSE Global All Cap as the name suggests contains a mixture of capitalisations and so contains 6000 companies, double that of the VWRL which contains only large cap. For whatever reason its also 0.01% cheaper.

Ok I see where you are going with that. For what I'm looking for the more diverse the better so the FTSE all cap looks a better bet

Lootman
The full Lemon

Postby Lootman » December 24th, 2018, 2:49 pm

TwentyTurtles wrote:

The world is a big place, what exactly do you mean by all-world. Are you talking every single company in the world? That's a *lot*. Or are you talking large cap companies only? Or a mix of large and small etc. The FTSE Global All Cap as the name suggests contains a mixture of capitalisations and so contains 6000 companies, double that of the VWRL.

The most comprehensive global index I know of is the ACWI (All Countries World Index) from MSCI:

https://www.msci.com/acwi

https://www.justetf.com/uk/news/etf/msc ... world.html

It is free float-adjusted market capitalisation weighted and covers both developed markets and emerging markets. You could take the view that it is the only equity investment you need. It has about 9.000 stocks comprising large-cap, mid-cap and small-cap.

It's over 50% in the US which might seems concentrated to some. The UK is less than 10% which might seem low to those with UK liabilities.

Walrus
Lemon Slice

Postby Walrus » December 28th, 2018, 11:37 pm

Lootman wrote:
TwentyTurtles wrote:

The world is a big place, what exactly do you mean by all-world. Are you talking every single company in the world? That's a *lot*. Or are you talking large cap companies only? Or a mix of large and small etc. The FTSE Global All Cap as the name suggests contains a mixture of capitalisations and so contains 6000 companies, double that of the VWRL.

The most comprehensive global index I know of is the ACWI (All Countries World Index) from MSCI:

https://www.msci.com/acwi

https://www.justetf.com/uk/news/etf/msc ... world.html

It is free float-adjusted market capitalisation weighted and covers both developed markets and emerging markets. You could take the view that it is the only equity investment you need. It has about 9.000 stocks comprising large-cap, mid-cap and small-cap.

It's over 50% in the US which might seems concentrated to some. The UK is less than 10% which might seem low to those with UK liabilities.

Thankyou Mr Lootman. I'm going to spend the weekend investigating.

dspp
Lemon Half

Postby dspp » December 29th, 2018, 6:22 pm

Walrus wrote:First time I've posted on this board and it's a pretty straightforward question.

cheers

Personally I use VWRL and have it via iii as my broker. Thar is very low cost.

In my particular case I also use three other index trackers: VUKE, VERX, and VAPX. By putting suitable amounts in them, the combination allows me to dial up/down my exposure to different geographic areas of the world economy. One can't do that with VWRL on its lonesome.

regards, dspp

Walrus
Lemon Slice

Postby Walrus » December 30th, 2018, 1:06 am

dspp wrote:

cheers

Personally I use VWRL and have it via iii as my broker. Thar is very low cost.

In my particular case I also use three other index trackers: VUKE, VERX, and VAPX. By putting suitable amounts in them, the combination allows me to dial up/down my exposure to different geographic areas of the world economy. One can't do that with VWRL on its lonesome.

regards, dspp

VWRL was my first thought, I was then planning on tilting those exposures to emerging markets through ITs, quality through LT/Fundsmith and UK value through my HYP. Not so sure on the smaller companies, I held BR Throgmorton Trust for a good while but a little more UK centric there than I am looking at.

Walrus
Lemon Slice

Postby Walrus » January 20th, 2019, 5:27 pm

I plumped for the Vanguard FTSE Global All Cap. The intention is to allocate 80 percent of my equity allocation to this, and then 20% as I see fit across smaller cos/emerging markets and potentially value shares at this juncture.

Thanks everyone for the input.

Return to “Passive Investing”