Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to eyeball08,Wondergirly,bofh,johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva, for Donating to support the site

Best Passive Investments for Children

Index tracking funds and ETFs
hiriskpaul
Lemon Quarter

Re: Best Passive Investments for Children

Postby hiriskpaul » January 21st, 2017, 12:06 pm

paullidd wrote:Thanks everyone for the replies.

I think I will use TD Direct for the JISAs, as I already have my own account with them and there is no JISA fee, also, Iam not particularly worried about them being bought by II.

I will be trusting my children with their own money and at the end of the day should they choose to blow it, then I'm sure there will be a valuable life lesson for them to learn. I also think that they will have learnt to be reasonably cautious and thoughtful before committing a large amount of money to anything.

My initial intention is to invest equal amounts in Trackers for FTSE 100, FTSE 250, S+P 500, and a global Tracker/Fund (TBD).

Again many thanks for all the food for thought.

Paul

If you want an alternative I did notice the other day that Hargreaves Lansdown are actually quite competitive when it comes to JISAs. No charges for holding shares, ETFs, ITs and bonds, and online dealing for only £5.95. I have been with HL for many years and would say the quality of the service is excellent. The drawback with their JISA is that it becomes a lot more expensive once it becomes a full ISA and transferring out to another broker is not cheap (£25 per investment + £25 account closure fee).

hiriskpaul
Lemon Quarter

Re: Best Passive Investments for Children

Postby hiriskpaul » January 21st, 2017, 12:09 pm

hiriskpaul wrote:
paullidd wrote:Thanks everyone for the replies.

I think I will use TD Direct for the JISAs, as I already have my own account with them and there is no JISA fee, also, Iam not particularly worried about them being bought by II.

I will be trusting my children with their own money and at the end of the day should they choose to blow it, then I'm sure there will be a valuable life lesson for them to learn. I also think that they will have learnt to be reasonably cautious and thoughtful before committing a large amount of money to anything.

My initial intention is to invest equal amounts in Trackers for FTSE 100, FTSE 250, S+P 500, and a global Tracker/Fund (TBD).

Again many thanks for all the food for thought.

Paul

If you want an alternative I did notice the other day that Hargreaves Lansdown are actually quite competitive when it comes to JISAs. No charges for holding shares, ETFs, ITs and bonds, and online dealing for only £5.95. I have been with HL for many years and would say the quality of the service is excellent. The drawback with their JISA is that it becomes a lot more expensive* once it becomes a full ISA and transferring out to another broker is not cheap (£25 per investment + £25 account closure fee).

* Annual fee of 0.45%, capped at £45, dealing fee £11.95

Return to “Passive Investing”