Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to eyeball08,Wondergirly,bofh,johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva, for Donating to support the site

CAPE by Country and Cambrian Global Value ETF (GVAL)

Index tracking funds and ETFs
EricLightbulb

CAPE by Country and Cambrian Global Value ETF (GVAL)

Postby EricLightbulb » January 17th, 2017, 2:34 pm

Reading a recent article in MoneyWeek, renewed my interest in this concept - particularly as they gave the examples of Russia up 47%, Brazil up 60% and Peru up 58% as examples of what would have been tipped for 2016.

I then stumbled on this ETF, which follows the concept of selecting stocks in countries with low CAPE.

http://www.cambriafunds.com/gval.aspx

However, performance-wise it appears to have struggled, when compared with a World Index since its inception.

Some explanation of the funds performance would be useful, but I can't find any. Just what would appear to be regulatory reporting. Is that normal for an ETF?

masmon

Re: CAPE by Country and Cambrian Global Value ETF (GVAL)

Postby masmon » January 17th, 2017, 3:55 pm

Cambria is run by the rather well known Meb Faber who has written various books on investing. Some of his earlier ETFs that were based upon momentum strategies did not live up to the expectations that back testing seemed to indicate for future returns. GVAL had a great 2016 but the years prior to that were not pretty - market rotation away from growth towards value seems to be the reason for 2016 outperformance.
If you head over to seekingalpha you will probably find more info and specific articles concerning this ETF.

EricLightbulb

Re: CAPE by Country and Cambrian Global Value ETF (GVAL)

Postby EricLightbulb » January 17th, 2017, 5:29 pm

Thanks very much for the seeking alpha tip - excellent.

I will have a look through the articles there.

Seems he was up about 30% last year against 18% for the All World Index, but down about 15% compared with the Index since inception.

Return to “Passive Investing”