Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to Anonymous,bruncher,niord,gvonge,Shelford, for Donating to support the site

SSE sold before dividend cut.

A helpful place to also put any annual reports etc, of your own portfolios
BullDog
Lemon Quarter

SSE sold before dividend cut.

Postby BullDog » April 6th, 2023, 10:03 am

As I hinted on another thread, seeing that there's a decent profit to be taken on my SSE shares and an opportunity to increase portfolio yield I have sold my SSE prior to the dividend reduction. I expect SSE shares to immediately break 2000p as a consequence!

I have reinvested the proceeds back into renewable energy stocks. That was my primary reason for holding SSE, bought prior to Dogger Bank FID. The proceeds have been spilt between NESF and ORIT. Both stocks will hopefully provide a lift to portfolio income beyond what the cut SSE stock would yield. And both are completely focused on developing their renewable energy businesses.

A decent share price for selling SSE and recent interesting news from NESF and ORIT made my mind up. Especially interesting announcement today from ORIT finally flipped the switch.

Dod101
The full Lemon

Re: SSE sold before dividend cut.

Postby Dod101 » April 6th, 2023, 10:11 am

BullDog wrote:As I hinted on another thread, seeing that there's a decent profit to be taken on my SSE shares and an opportunity to increase portfolio yield I have sold my SSE prior to the dividend reduction. I expect SSE shares to immediately break 2000p as a consequence!

I have reinvested the proceeds back into renewable energy stocks. That was my primary reason for holding SSE, bought prior to Dogger Bank FID. The proceeds have been spilt between NESF and ORIT. Both stocks will hopefully provide a lift to portfolio income beyond what the cut SSE stock would yield. And both are completely focused on developing their renewable energy businesses.

A decent share price for selling SSE and recent interesting news from NESF and ORIT made my mind up. Especially interesting announcement today from ORIT finally flipped the switch.

And not even on the HYP Board! I think also that the OP will miss the SSE Final Dividend for the year just ended which promises to be a bumper one., at least in nominal terms.

What I would call a brave move.

For my part I will keep my SSE shares and take the dividend cut in my stride. I am all for companies investing in good opportunities and SSE has not often been wrong. They are a well run outfit.

Dod

BullDog
Lemon Quarter

Re: SSE sold before dividend cut.

Postby BullDog » April 6th, 2023, 10:52 am

Dod101 wrote:
BullDog wrote:As I hinted on another thread, seeing that there's a decent profit to be taken on my SSE shares and an opportunity to increase portfolio yield I have sold my SSE prior to the dividend reduction. I expect SSE shares to immediately break 2000p as a consequence!

And not even on the HYP Board! I think also that the OP will miss the SSE Final Dividend for the year just ended which promises to be a bumper one., at least in nominal terms.

What I would call a brave move.

For my part I will keep my SSE shares and take the dividend cut in my stride. I am all for companies investing in good opportunities and SSE has not often been wrong. They are a well run outfit.

Dod

FWIW SSE is a terrific company and I applaud it's capital investment in renewable energy.

But this is about protecting or even enhancing the dividend stream in the income portfolio I have. It has nothing to do with being brave. It's for others to decide if they do anything or nothing in the face of a reduced SSE dividend. Nobody knows what's going to happen next.

(I cannot post in the referenced sub-forum as I'm a non believer).

Return to “Portfolio Management & Review”