Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to eyeball08,Wondergirly,bofh,johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva, for Donating to support the site

Off topic, but maybe you can help

A helpful place to also put any annual reports etc, of your own portfolios
Virginian12

Off topic, but maybe you can help

Postby Virginian12 » December 9th, 2016, 12:28 pm

For many years I have kept track of my portfolios on Yahoo UK Finance. But they have lost the ability to hold portfolios recently.
I could use Digital Link but that site takes a long time to load up.

Can anyone suggest a good site to replace Yahoo?

(I did warn you that this would be off topic.....)

Many thanks
V12

kempiejon
Lemon Quarter

Re: Off topic, but maybe you can help

Postby kempiejon » December 9th, 2016, 12:46 pm

moorfield
Lemon Quarter

Postby moorfield » December 9th, 2016, 1:21 pm

My portfolio is done on Excel, and I use a watchlist on http://markets.ft.com/data/portfolio/dashboard to mtm prices.

PinkDalek
Lemon Half

Postby PinkDalek » December 9th, 2016, 1:41 pm

Virginian12 wrote:For many years I have kept track of my portfolios on Yahoo UK Finance. But they have lost the ability to hold portfolios recently. ...

See also Yahoo appears to be dropping the UK over at Financial Software which might explain why, in your situation, you can't access the Yahoo Portfolios (they remain available for us but that doesn't help you!).

Raptor
Lemon Quarter

Postby Raptor » December 9th, 2016, 2:25 pm

Moderator Message:
This has been moved from HYP strategies

Raptor
Lemon Quarter

Postby Raptor » December 9th, 2016, 2:31 pm

Got to admit I use Yahoo and it has been the case that it has occasionally stopped displaying the portfolios, especially on the app.

In the past I used digital look, I like the feature on there that added dividends, but once I started to use excel spreadsheets (HYPTUS for instance) I gave it up.

Raptor.

Breelander
Lemon Quarter

Postby Breelander » December 9th, 2016, 9:10 pm

Virginian12 wrote:Can anyone suggest a good site to replace Yahoo?

This question comes up time and again. This is what I said back on TMF last time it was asked:

breelander (on TMF) wrote:...A while back there was a request on 'Ask a Foolish Question' for suggested alternatives to the Moneyextra portfolio which was closing down. https://web.archive.org/web/20161115151 ... sort=whole

After some research, these seemed to me to be the best free (registration required) alternatives...
Financial Times: http://help.ft.com/markets-data/portfolio/
Morningstar: http://www.morningstar.co.uk/uk/portfol ... folio.aspx

I've been happily tracking my HYP in a DigitalLook portfolio for years, but when investigating alternatives for the 'Ask a Foolish Question' thread I duplicated my HYP in the FT portfolio. Both seem to work well. The Morningstar one looks good too, but I didn't test it out. Much more discussion on the pros and cons in the archived AaFQ thread linked to above.

Breelander
Lemon Quarter

Postby Breelander » December 9th, 2016, 9:24 pm

moorfield wrote:My portfolio is done on Excel, and I use a watchlist on http://markets.ft.com/data/portfolio/dashboard to mtm prices.

Yes, my main tool is Excel, but I go one step further than you. Rather than a Watchlist I have a full Portfolio on DigitalLook. http://www.digitallook.com/help_guides/ ... _home.html That way I can monitor not just prices but also the dividend payments as they arrive (in the amounts I should receive). I also have an RNS news feed and a page for Key Dates (results, x/d, paid, AGMs etc.) tailored to just the companies I hold - effectively my own personal 'Week Ahead'.

Raptor
Lemon Quarter

Postby Raptor » December 11th, 2016, 11:16 am

As an exercise and because I already have a log in for digitallook I entered my ISA, SIPP and total trading account under 3 portfolios yesterday. Took about an hour. As I have the same share in more than one portfolio it was easy to create an entry in one and use that to "force" an entry in another portfolio. Wish they would decide on forecast yield though. If I get time will send off a query to them.

I like digitallook for keeping me up to date with the dividend income I should be getting.

Now I have done it will certainly start using it again. Mind you my excel spreadsheets will always be my "record" keeping and update source.

Raptor.

Virginian12

Postby Virginian12 » December 11th, 2016, 3:40 pm

Thanks to everyone who replied. I have decided to test drive the Morningstar portfolio and see how I get on.
Regards
Virginian12

Pipsmum
Lemon Slice

Postby Pipsmum » April 24th, 2017, 3:02 pm

I've been entering information in the DigitalLook portfolio, but cannot find out how to add HL funds to it such as the CF Woodford income focus Class Z. Anyone know?

PitBullCH

Postby PitBullCH » April 25th, 2017, 9:44 am

Just a warning if you are going the MorningStar route - this requires use of Flash - with all the security pains that entails.

Regarding Yahoo Finance - been using that until very recently and the portfolios were working ok, but for about 2 weeks now some of the data is complete carp, and various values can no longer be relied upon - I've given up on it entirely which also means I can scrap my Yahoo email address. I used MoneyXtra for many years before Yahoo Finance until that one was withdrawn.

For the moment I'm using a trial version of the StockMarketEye app (I'm on Mac) for which I used an earlier version in the past - not sure yet if I'll stick with it so am still looking for other options. Will take a look at DigitalLook.

BrummieDave
Lemon Slice

Postby BrummieDave » April 25th, 2017, 6:36 pm

Morningstar requiring Flash? Perhaps for the some elements of the X-Ray tool that may be so, or indeed my not be, but if you access the x-Ray tool as shown below it all seems to work for me and without Flash on my PC. If I go into X-Ray through the Morningstar landing page, it tells me it won't work on this PC because I haven't got Flash. You certainly need Flash for the demo video to run. Same PC but different access method, all works fine.

The way in I use:
Select 'Investment Trusts' from the main menu, then 'Screen for Investment Trusts' on the IT landing page, then enter your first IT in the 'Search by keyword' (eg PLI), hit 'Search', and then when the search function returns your selection, click the tick box next to 'Perpetual Income & Growth' and hit 'X-Ray'. Bob's your uncle, you're in the X-Ray Tool for free. Only downside is I don't think you can save your subsequent analysis (other than by screenshot, paper and pen etc.) unless someone knows better.

Perhaps even simpler, as mcfool stated earlier, you can go to http://www.morningstar.co.uk/uk/investm ... fault.aspx, click Performance, tick the ones you are interested in and then click X-Ray.

Same way in really, just different start points.

Return to “Portfolio Management & Review”