Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to gpadsa,Steffers0,lansdown,Wasron,jfgw, for Donating to support the site

Replacing/mixing just 1 tyre.

Passion, instruction, buying, care, maintenance and more, any form of vehicle discussion is welcome here
BigB
Lemon Slice

Replacing/mixing just 1 tyre.

Postby BigB » April 24th, 2024, 12:05 pm

Hmm - interested in any views on this scenario.

We run our Volvo AWD estate on winter tyres only - we do about 8-9k a year, 2/3 of which is in the winter going to/from the Alps. So limited mileage and no perceived need to swap wheels summer/winter.

Just got a puncture on a rear wheel and looking for a replacement tyre - my usual tyre supplier can't get the tyre now at this time of year and suggested I use Blackcircles. I can get a winter tyre from there but not matching brand/tyre, and therefore a mixture which makes me uneasy - is that valid.

Would you swap out 1 non-matching rear tyre on an AWD car, or maybe 2, or would you want all 4 matching?

Thoughts?
TIA

Urbandreamer
Lemon Quarter

Re: Replacing/mixing just 1 tyre.

Postby Urbandreamer » April 24th, 2024, 12:16 pm

BigB wrote:Would you swap out 1 non-matching rear tyre on an AWD car, or maybe 2, or would you want all 4 matching?

Thoughts?
TIA

Well in your situation I'd establish that the puncture couldn't be repaired first.
If it could be repaired, I'd regard that as the preferable option.
Failing that I'd very seriously consider replacing both tires currently on that axle.
Possibly rotating them to the axle where the tyres suffer the most ware.

DrFfybes
Lemon Quarter

Postby DrFfybes » April 24th, 2024, 1:03 pm

I know some 4WD vehicles have had problems replacing one tyre - something to so with te different rolling diameters affecting the differential or sensors in it or something.

Depending on how worn the old one is, it might be as well to get a summer set of part worns (XC70 wheels and tyres are on Ebay for well under £300 a set) and then get your preferred winter tyres as they become available.

BigB
Lemon Slice

Postby BigB » April 24th, 2024, 1:21 pm

Thanks for responses.

It's a screw on the corner between the face and sidewall of the tyre so even if they said it could be plugged I don't think we'd be comfortable.

It's a V90 CC as opposed to XC70 (its replacement I guess) so will have a look at replacement wheels, but want to avoid if poss. Would also rather run winters here in summer, but could look for set of steels/winters I guess.

AJC5001
Lemon Slice

Postby AJC5001 » April 24th, 2024, 2:41 pm

I assume your Volvo comes without a spare wheel?

Adrian

Dicky99
Lemon Slice

Postby Dicky99 » April 24th, 2024, 2:48 pm

BigB wrote:Thanks for responses.

It's a screw on the corner between the face and sidewall of the tyre so even if they said it could be plugged I don't think we'd be comfortable.

It's a V90 CC as opposed to XC70 (its replacement I guess) so will have a look at replacement wheels, but want to avoid if poss. Would also rather run winters here in summer, but could look for set of steels/winters I guess.

I've used tyreweld before and then run the tyre until the tread depth meant it needed to be replaced but I'm guessing you won't do that if you're not comfortable with plugging.

BigB
Lemon Slice

Postby BigB » April 24th, 2024, 3:03 pm

Correct, no spare wheel.

Comfortable in principle with plugging, but not right on the corner of the sidewall.

BigB
Lemon Slice

Postby BigB » April 24th, 2024, 3:21 pm

Update:

Just found a correct tyre online with mytyres.co.uk (no connection) and having it delivered to my usual tyre garage, who are a linked fitter. Result.

Thanks for responses - without correct tyre, I think I would have bought a new pair of something and switched them to the front, rotating the half worns to the back. AWD hardly ever invokes rear drive, so wears more as FWD. I know the expert advice is to have better tread on rear tyres rather than front (certainly for FWD), but I think that is extremely technical advice about performance and snapping the back out/breaking traction in the warm/dry - I think you'd have to drive like a lunatic to get anywhere near that these days in warm/dry.

Return to “Cars, Driving, Motorbikes or any Transport”