Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to eyeball08,Wondergirly,bofh,johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva, for Donating to support the site

1.2 DIG-T TURBO PETROL ENGINE

Passion, instruction, buying, care, maintenance and more, any form of vehicle discussion is welcome here
jackdaww
Lemon Quarter

1.2 DIG-T TURBO PETROL ENGINE

Postby jackdaww » November 30th, 2016, 6:54 pm

this engine is used in many models , eg--

renault scenic / kadjar / megane / clio / modus / kangoo

and

nissan micra / pulsar / juke / qashqai

and probably other makes .

i have a qashqai , the power is adequate for me .

does anyone have experience of its RELIABILTY please.

. :?: :?:

jackdaww
Lemon Quarter

Re: 1.2 DIG-T TURBO PETROL ENGINE

Postby jackdaww » January 9th, 2017, 9:05 am

jackdaww wrote:this engine is used in many models , eg--

renault scenic / kadjar / megane / clio / modus / kangoo

and

nissan micra / pulsar / juke / qashqai

and probably other makes .

i have a qashqai , the power is adequate for me .

does anyone have experience of its RELIABILTY please.

. :?: :?:

====================================

further to this , the engine concerned is a direct injection turbo petrol - labelled variously as -- hra2ddt h5ft tce130

another - (qashqai forums) website highlights a major issue with excessive oil consumption, up to as much as 5 litres in 12 months!!

i now wonder if there are ANY good modern engines of this genre .

especially with the inevitable demise of diesel there will be more petrol turbo engines before all electric arrives .

can anyone share their experiences of ANY petrol turbo cars/engines.

many thanks.

:?: :?: :?:

bungeejumper
Lemon Half

Postby bungeejumper » January 9th, 2017, 9:41 am

The 1 litre Ford Ecoboost has been around for five years now, and I haven't heard a chorus of complaint about its reliability or anything else really. I must say I was sceptical about durability at the outset, and I still wouldn't buy a great big long-distance car like a Mondeo or a Passat with a 1.2 engine, because I like the 'physical momentum' that you get from a bigger engine - but the stats are impressive all the same:

The 1.0-litre EcoBoost cylinder block can fit onto a sheet of A4 paper but delivers up to 125PS and 170Nm peak torque (with 200Nm overboost), giving it the highest power density of any Ford production engine to date.

One of the selling points when they first came out was that the miniature (A4-sized) engines could be whipped out and replaced in no time if they ever wore out, thus reducing repair and maintenance costs. I haven't heard that one lately, though. And putting a turbo into any engine carries a risk that it'll expire some time after 100,000 miles. But even those are coming down in price now. Looks like my scepticism might be misplaced.

richlist
Lemon Quarter

Postby richlist » January 11th, 2017, 8:01 am

The Ford ecoboost engine had a major fuel pump issue. I know cos we had one that failed when the car was 4 weeks old.

Ford took almost 8 weeks to fix it ......wouldn't recommend the engine or Ford.

jackdaww
Lemon Quarter

Postby jackdaww » January 12th, 2017, 6:04 pm

bungeejumper wrote:The 1 litre Ford Ecoboost has been around for five years now, and I haven't heard a chorus of complaint about its reliability or anything else really. I must say I was sceptical about durability at the outset, and I still wouldn't buy a great big long-distance car like a Mondeo or a Passat with a 1.2 engine, because I like the 'physical momentum' that you get from a bigger engine - but the stats are impressive all the same:

The 1.0-litre EcoBoost cylinder block can fit onto a sheet of A4 paper but delivers up to 125PS and 170Nm peak torque (with 200Nm overboost), giving it the highest power density of any Ford production engine to date.

One of the selling points when they first came out was that the miniature (A4-sized) engines could be whipped out and replaced in no time if they ever wore out, thus reducing repair and maintenance costs. I haven't heard that one lately, though. And putting a turbo into any engine carries a risk that it'll expire some time after 100,000 miles. But even those are coming down in price now. Looks like my scepticism might be misplaced.

=========================

a friend has a ford with the small engine - he has no problems so far - although i'm not keen on ford either.

the story that these small engines can be removed/replaced easily must be a big con - there is so much gubbins connected to it - to achieve that (laudable) idea would need a novel solution .
. :idea:

Slarti
Lemon Quarter

Postby Slarti » January 12th, 2017, 6:48 pm

jackdaww wrote:
a friend has a ford with the small engine - he has no problems so far - although i'm not keen on ford either.

the story that these small engines can be removed/replaced easily must be a big con - there is so much gubbins connected to it - to achieve that (laudable) idea would need a novel solution .
. :idea:

It existed. It was called a Hillman Imp.

Support the engine, remove the bonnet and bottom bar of the engine compartment.
Disconnect the engine, then undo mounts.

Push car forwards off engine.

Do work

Push car back and reconnect. Simple.
Unless the engine moved a bit while you worked on it, or the wheels were not exactly straight when you pushed the car. :o

Slarti

staffordian
Lemon Quarter

Postby staffordian » January 12th, 2017, 6:59 pm

Slarti wrote:It existed. It was called a Hillman Imp.

Support the engine, remove the bonnet and bottom bar of the engine compartment.
Disconnect the engine, then undo mounts.

Push car forwards off engine.

Do work

Push car back and reconnect. Simple.
Unless the engine moved a bit while you worked on it, or the wheels were not exactly straight when you pushed the car. :o

Slarti

Yep, had one; my first car. Did the above to change the gearbox/transaxle.

The Imp was one of many great ideas poorly executed in that era.

Staffordian

jackdaww
Lemon Quarter

Postby jackdaww » January 13th, 2017, 8:30 am

yes , i drove an IMP for a few weeks , great car , better than the MINI.

nice slick gearchange , spacious , smooth and quiet .

but i wasnt aware of the easy engine access feature then.

8-)

PrincessB
Lemon Slice

Postby PrincessB » January 16th, 2017, 4:26 pm

can anyone share their experiences of ANY petrol turbo cars/engines.

We had from a new a Daihatsu Charade GTti (94K reg) which had a similar engine specification to these newer three cylinder Fords.

Engine was a 993cc petrol triple with:

12valves - Double overhead cam - If you find an image, you'll see they wrote most of this on the side of the car.
Mapped ignition and multipoint fuel injection
Turbo charger with water cooling and an intercooler
No catalytic converter - They came in the next year.

The result, 99BHP with a quoted 0-60 time of 7.7 seconds a top speed of 115MPH and if you wanted to toddle about 55MPG at 55MPH - Criver, what a lot of TLAs ( three-letter abbreviations)

No one ever mentions the lack of power steering when they look back fondly at this tiny rocket car. The acceleration was thrilling though it ran quickly out of puff over 75 and the lack of torque at low revs made driving in stop start traffic tiresome as you could easily stall it.

On the plus side, we did a a hundred thousand trouble free miles in it using dealer servicing and at 115K it started to go wrong big time. It felt like we were back at the garage every few weeks facing another large bill as various components failed in quick succession.

If I were to buy a car today with a view towards a decent lifespan I would look at a four cylinder petrol engine with sufficient performance to not annoy. Were I to do that lease hire stuff where you can give it back after three years, I'd go for the biggest diesel I could find in a smaller taller estate type car.

Regards,

B.

Return to “Cars, Driving, Motorbikes or any Transport”