Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to Wasron,jfgw,Rhyd6,eyeball08,Wondergirly, for Donating to support the site

New car needed

Passion, instruction, buying, care, maintenance and more, any form of vehicle discussion is welcome here
melonfool
Lemon Quarter

New car needed

Postby melonfool » December 11th, 2016, 9:23 pm

Hi

I need a new car. I hate buying cars.

My current car now just has too many things wrong with it though the mechanics are incredibly sound - it has done 221,000 miles, it's a Seat Leon, diesel and has good fuel economy. But the lights on the heat controls no longer work, the wing mirrors are gaffer-taped on (after some scrote bashed them off with a baseball bat - now they cannot be adjusted), I've never managed to solve the damp which has been exacerbated by the fact the window got stuck down this week and it was left uncovered for the week while it rained and was icy. So, now it's all wet and the window is broken. OH tried to fix it but it needs new mechanism, so he's managed to get the glass up and jam it, but he's not able to refit the inner door panel. It has a couple of advisories on the MOT which have been there two years or so now, it might not get through the next one in July.

I think I have just had enough of it now :)

I drive to the station each day, about 30 miles each way, and now and again I do very long trips on my own as well as the usual supermarket/local town trips. I prefer 4 door cars though I rarely really have passengers. I wanted petrol this time as I gather diesels are out of favour environmentally - but they're hard to find secondhand, presumably due to people having bought diesel 5-10 years ago when the govt strategy made them more economical (like mine was). Fuel economony is important to me and I don't want a Ford or anything French/Italian.

Anyway - can anyone see any downsides to this one:

http://www.we-sell-any-car.com/used-hyu ... ridgeshire

I need to act fairly quickly as I can't be without a car, so it needs to be reasonably local, though I could go and collect something next weekend. I've been to look at this (but not test drive it, car salesmen don't bother with middle-aged woman in anoraks looking at cars on their own) and it looks clean and tidy.

I just need to get through maybe the next two years and save up for something a bit nicer I think. I live reasonably rurally so my only concern is bad weather on windy country lanes.

Also - what do I do with the old car? It's surely not worth anything so do I have to pay to get it scrapped?

ta
Mel

redsturgeon
Lemon Half

Re: New car needed

Postby redsturgeon » December 11th, 2016, 10:17 pm

Looks as good as anything at that price. Odd that it is only 89bhp, that looks very low for a 1.6 diesel. You should be able to haggle, nobody is buying cars the week before Xmas. And you should be able to get a part exchange with your own car. Drive it to the showroom and insist on getting at least £100 for it.

John

melonfool
Lemon Quarter

Postby melonfool » December 11th, 2016, 10:43 pm

redsturgeon wrote:Looks as good as anything at that price. Odd that it is only 89bhp, that looks very low for a 1.6 diesel. You should be able to haggle, nobody is buying cars the week before Xmas. And you should be able to get a part exchange with your own car. Drive it to the showroom and insist on getting at least £100 for it.

John

Hmm, I didn't see the 89bhp, that does seem low, I like a little bit of oomph.

I shall keep looking. I don't much mind the price, I could go up to £10k with easily accesible cash, but I'd prefer to set a £5k limit really. I saw a 2ltr Mitsubishi Lancer, diesel, I quite liked, but the back was a bit sporty with a spoiler on the rear window.

http://www.jensoncars.co.uk/used-cars/m ... 2020285557

It never occurred to me that they might part-x my current car, it's such a mess. WeBuyAnyCar quoted £200 a year ago, and they'd not seen it, with all its dents and dings and flaking paintwork. But when I was looking around today it is true that they do buy any old pony! Worth a try I suppose.

Mel

staffordian
Lemon Quarter

Postby staffordian » December 11th, 2016, 10:55 pm

Have you looked on autotrader.co.uk to see whats out there?

Very easy to filter by location, price, fuel, body type and virtually anything else.

A sort of "rightmove" for cars.

Staffordian

melonfool
Lemon Quarter

Postby melonfool » December 11th, 2016, 11:10 pm

staffordian wrote:Have you looked on autotrader.co.uk to see whats out there?

Very easy to filter by location, price, fuel, body type and virtually anything else.

A sort of "rightmove" for cars.

Staffordian

Yes, that was where I found the Hyundai. The other one I just saw when I was there.

I shall have another look, but it's really hard when you don't know what to look for!

:)

Mel

supremetwo
Lemon Quarter

Postby supremetwo » December 12th, 2016, 2:16 am

Have a test drive in a 2011 VW Polo Match 5 door hatch 1.4l petrol version with a 7-speed DSG gearbox.

It's about the same size as the old GOLF and extremely responsive.

redsturgeon
Lemon Half

Postby redsturgeon » December 12th, 2016, 7:06 am

Ok Mel, A few more general thoughts:

You said that you just need it to get through a couple of winters then you will get something nicer, now you are saying that you could spend up to £10k.

It seems to me that you should decide one way other the other, up to 5K for something for a couple of winters or up to 10k for something nicer and I assume to last a bit longer. Since you say you hate buying cars then I'd suggest it swings you towards the latter. You will get something nicer to drive and save the hassle of having to buy something else in 18 months.

You say you prefer 4 doors, does that mean a saloon rather than a five door hatchback or just that you don't want two doors? What is the issue with two doors, is it size? Is it the size of the doors in a two door when parking? Is it access to the rear which seems unlikely since you say you rarely have passengers?

You say you would prefer petrol but you are looking at diesels...there are plenty of cars out there, if you want petrol then you should look for petrol.

You say you don't want French or Italian...I assume that is a reliability thing. You also say no Fords, what is the reasoning behind that? I have have many cars in my life, perhaps 20 or more, usually run for about two years, many VWs, Audis, Volvos, BMWs, Mercedes, Hondas, a Renault,a Peugeot, plus a Lexus and a Range Rover. The Fords I have had, have been among the most reliable of all the cars, along with the Hondas, VW and Lexus.

If you were prepared to look at Fords then I would recommend you look at a Focus with the econoboost three cylinder petrol engine, I had one a couple of years ago and it was a great car in every way, well designed, lots of extras, comfortable, with great handling, I sold it after two years with 18K miles and it was as good as the day I bought it. There are over 70 for sale within 50 miles of you and if you wish to go to Peterborough then you could get this one for under £10k.
http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/ ... 000&page=1

The thing with Fords is that there are a lot of them about so you get a lot more bang for your buck than buying something like a BMW or Audi or VW.

You do not seem bothers by badges, so I am surprised about your "no Ford" policy, if that is a rigid rule though I would look at Japanese cars next, Honda or Toyota. A Honda Civic (if you can stomach the styling) might suit you, they are incredibly well made and reliable and for your money how about:

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/ ... NDA&page=1

OK it's red (you don't strike me as a red car person), but it's less than a year old and would keep going for years with no problems, you might not need to shop for another car for the next ten years!

Finally, you have already shown than you don't mind Hyundai so looking at Korean cars then the Kia Ceed fits and again you get more for your money.

Something like this with only 6k miles on the clock
http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/ ... rol&page=1

If it were my choice then I'd go for the Ford, better driving dynamics, better looking car. Next the Honda for sheer build quality and reliability then maybe look at Kia/Hyundai, with it's seven year warranty. I would definitely hold out for petrol if that's what you want, look to buying now at your 10k limit and haggle.

One last thing, the Honda linked to above is available at your local Motorpoint, this is a huge car nationwide supermarket with lots of cars of all makes, it would be worth taking a look there to see a whole range of cars.

Good luck

John

staffordian
Lemon Quarter

Postby staffordian » December 12th, 2016, 9:08 am

Just a very minor point about John's excellent advice above. If warranty length is a major benefit, although Kia and Hyundai are essentially identical apart from their badges, it's only Kia which has a seven year warranty. Hyundai's "only" have five years for some reason.

Staffordian

melonfool
Lemon Quarter

Postby melonfool » December 12th, 2016, 10:04 am

redsturgeon wrote:You said that you just need it to get through a couple of winters then you will get something nicer, now you are saying that you could spend up to £10k.

It seems to me that you should decide one way other the other, up to 5K for something for a couple of winters or up to 10k for something nicer and I assume to last a bit longer. Since you say you hate buying cars then I'd suggest it swings you towards the latter. You will get something nicer to drive and save the hassle of having to buy something else in 18 months.

True, but speed of purchase is the important thing right now, I suppose I don't feel I have time to make decisions worth £10k, if you see what I mean? I took my life in my hands driving my car this morning in the dark, damp and fog, with wing mirrors that don't move, the inside totally fogged up due to the damp and windows which don't open. In an accident I wouldn't be able to get out because the door handle has been removed from inside my door.

Having said that, I might hire a car for the next few days to see me through.

redsturgeon wrote: You say you prefer 4 doors, does that mean a saloon rather than a five door hatchback or just that you don't want two doors? What is the issue with two doors, is it size? Is it the size of the doors in a two door when parking? Is it access to the rear which seems unlikely since you say you rarely have passengers?

Saloon, or hatchback, so, yes, just not two door (probably not estate either). I rarely have passengers but when I do they are adults so I want them to be able to get in and out, plus I don't like 2 doors in case of accidents. I put a lot of stuff on the back seat, laptop bag etc when I drive to work. Also, the size of the door on two-door cars, as you identify, is annoying when parking and as I park at the station every day and the spaces are small anyway it's best avoided.

redsturgeon wrote:You say you would prefer petrol but you are looking at diesels...there are plenty of cars out there, if you want petrol then you should look for petrol.

Fuel economy is important. I moved my thinking towards petrol as I have heard it is better for the environment, as petrol is cheaper now and I also keep hearing that the govt is going to penalise diesel drivers more soon. But looking at secondhand cars there are just a lot more diesels around. And they do still have better fuel economy. So, I am undecided about that one!

redsturgeon wrote: You say you don't want French or Italian...I assume that is a reliability thing.

- indeed!

redsturgeon wrote: You also say no Fords, what is the reasoning behind that? I have have many cars in my life, perhaps 20 or more, usually run for about two years, many VWs, Audis, Volvos, BMWs, Mercedes, Hondas, a Renault,a Peugeot, plus a Lexus and a Range Rover. The Fords I have had, have been among the most reliable of all the cars, along with the Hondas, VW and Lexus.

(you don't have a spare one hanging about, do you?)

Just don't like them. I suppose the fact my dad has always had Fords doesn't help.....plus the ubiquitous Focus, while it is ubiquitous for good reason as you say - I have test driven one and found the rear visibility very limited.

I did have a Ka for a while which was fine (bought off my dad....), but that would be too small for me now. It was too small then really but it was the right thing at that exact time.

redsturgeon wrote:The thing with Fords is that there are a lot of them about so you get a lot more bang for your buck than buying something like a BMW or Audi or VW.

I will have a look at the one you have listed, in case I can get over my prejudice! But I wasn't going to look at BMW, Audi or VW either anyway.

I'm more a Skoda type of girl.

redsturgeon wrote: You do not seem bothers by badges, so I am surprised about your "no Ford" policy, if that is a rigid rule though I would look at Japanese cars next, Honda or Toyota. A Honda Civic (if you can stomach the styling) might suit you, they are incredibly well made and reliable and for your money how about:

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/ ... NDA&page=1

OK it's red (you don't strike me as a red car person), but it's less than a year old and would keep going for years with no problems, you might not need to shop for another car for the next ten years!

Japanese is probably the way to go, thank you for that one, I'll have a look. Cars should be red or blue. That's it. No other colours. My current one is dark red. Previous was....er....blue...before that red...before that (my first car)...red. I once had a company car. That was blue. :)

(I have only ever bought four cars - first was a Volvo from a friend of a friend, next was a Ford Ka from my parents, next was a Rover brand new through work, then the Seat which ahenry helped me find and I have had 8 years I think).

redsturgeon wrote:Finally, you have already shown than you don't mind Hyundai so looking at Korean cars then the Kia Ceed fits and again you get more for your money.

Something like this with only 6k miles on the clock
http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/ ... rol&page=1

Hyundai wouldn't be my *top* choice, it has to be said. My top would be Volvo, but they're out of my price range really.

I do quite like Kia's though.

redsturgeon wrote:One last thing, the Honda linked to above is available at your local Motorpoint, this is a huge car nationwide supermarket with lots of cars of all makes, it would be worth taking a look there to see a whole range of cars.

Funnily enough, I thought that was where I went yesterday. The places I looked at on Autotrader didn't seem the same when I got to them. I got the feeling they are somehow all linked. But one I went to didn't have the car I went to look at - mind you, there only seemed to be one member of staff and he was dealing with someone else. The otehr places seemed to have two staff, they just ignored me until I asked for a fact sheet on a car, then they took ages to get it and when they did the price was different on the sheet to the price on the windscreen.

Urgh. I hate it.

redsturgeon wrote:Good luck

John

Thank you so much - I feel a lot more confident about what I might be able to get. I might just get that Honda and be done with it.

staffordian wrote:Just a very minor point about John's excellent advice above. If warranty length is a major benefit, although Kia and Hyundai are essentially identical apart from their badges, it's only Kia which has a seven year warranty. Hyundai's "only" have five years for some reason.

Do the warranties transfer to secondhand then? I thought they didn't, I thought you had to rely on the dealer warranty?

Mel

redsturgeon
Lemon Half

Postby redsturgeon » December 12th, 2016, 10:42 am

Aha...so you are a red car woman! Ok I got that wrong. In that case the Honda Civic is the one. Nearly new, RED, four doors, petrol, reasonable mpg, local dealer. What's not to like?

BTW the Honda Civic comes in at seventh in the AutoExpress 2016 survey.

http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/best-cars/ ... -cars-2016

FWIW the Volvo V40 is just a rebodied Ford Focus.

John

Slarti
Lemon Quarter

Postby Slarti » December 12th, 2016, 11:14 am

melonfool wrote:
True, but speed of purchase is the important thing right now, I suppose I don't feel I have time to make decisions worth £10k, if you see what I mean? I took my life in my hands driving my car this morning in the dark, damp and fog, with wing mirrors that don't move, the inside totally fogged up due to the damp and windows which don't open. In an accident I wouldn't be able to get out because the door handle has been removed from inside my door.

Having said that, I might hire a car for the next few days to see me through.

Mel

Mel, Have you thought about Toyota?

http://usedcars.steveneagellpeterborough.toyota.co.uk/

Newer, petrol, less miles on it.

If it is anything like Mrs S' Yaris it will be comfortable, reliable and economical to drive, but with a bit of nip when needed.

Slarti

melonfool
Lemon Quarter

Postby melonfool » December 12th, 2016, 11:16 am

redsturgeon wrote:Aha...so you are a red car woman! Ok I got that wrong. In that case the Honda Civic is the one. Nearly new, RED, four doors, petrol, reasonable mpg, local dealer. What's not to like?

BTW the Honda Civic comes in at seventh in the AutoExpress 2016 survey.

http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/best-cars/ ... -cars-2016

FWIW the Volvo V40 is just a rebodied Ford Focus.

John

Excellent, Civic it is then - it was on my mental list.

And that top ten....well, the Civic and Skoda are the only ones on it I would ever buy anyway. But I was pleased to read this:

"In the 2015 Driver Power Survey, it was a lone SEAT Leon that stopped the Asian car industry from garnering all top 10 places in our most reliable cars leaderboard."

Notwithstanding the broken mirrors and door/window, my Seat Leon has been fab. Really reliable, and has done 221k miles without complaining. The engine would probably do double that if I could stand all the other issues.

I didn't like the new shape though, too sporty looking for me.

Mel

melonfool
Lemon Quarter

Postby melonfool » December 12th, 2016, 11:30 am

Slarti wrote:
Mel, Have you thought about Toyota?

http://usedcars.steveneagellpeterborough.toyota.co.uk/

Newer, petrol, less miles on it.

If it is anything like Mrs S' Yaris it will be comfortable, reliable and economical to drive, but with a bit of nip when needed.

Slarti

I quite like those, but find them slightly on the small side for the long distances I sometimes do (visiting family who are several hundred miles away). I certainly like the idea of the fuel economy.

Mel

woolly
Lemon Pip

Postby woolly » December 12th, 2016, 11:36 am

Autotrader's search page is pretty comprehensive, especially if you use filters - interestingly for your budget there are a lot of used electric cars or hybrids on there for sale that might satisfy the green criterion... if you're only doing a daily commute to the station they'll cut your running costs and give you green kudos. They're cheap as chips to run - zero road tax and I gather the electricity to charge them costs around £2.50 per "tank".

Since you're rural diesels might be OK green-wise - especially modern diesels, as they have a formidable amount of engineering to meet emissions standards that older diesel cars simply don't have - and you won't be pumping fumes out into narrow city streets (pollution levels are highly localised and can drop off markedly even metres away from a main road). The downside of modern diesels is they're not quite as agricultural as they used to be - you need to be quite scrupulous about maintenance and topping up all the various fluids (e.g. ad-blue) and so on. Cheap oil is a definite no-no, and in general you'll need to be quite diligent about checking service histories to ensure all the correct services have been carried out with proper-spec oil and so on. The oil thing goes for petrol cars too but is especially important for cars with turbos (generally diesels).

Electric cars are easier in that respect, as the batteries have predictable ageing characteristics and they are mechanically MUCH simpler. If you plan to keep this car as long as the last you might want to consider future-proofing - would you want to be the last fossil fuel hold-out in your town ten years hence? I know when I follow old, pre-catalytic converter petrol cars these days the stench they give out is almost unbearable - will it be the same for all fuel-burning cars in future? I don't know how we stood it - what with ubiquitous smoking as well our collective olfactory capacity must have been dreadful! I guess that's why they could sell such awful food in the 70s and 80s...

Asian cars are reliable on the whole, and I have to say I've been very pleased with our new SEAT 7-seater - very refined and well-made, if not stellar on the economy front. That goes for the Skodas I've had too - but they do have good economy. Good luck...

melonfool
Lemon Quarter

Postby melonfool » December 12th, 2016, 11:51 am

woolly wrote:Autotrader's search page is pretty comprehensive, especially if you use filters - interestingly for your budget there are a lot of used electric cars or hybrids on there for sale that might satisfy the green criterion... if you're only doing a daily commute to the station they'll cut your running costs and give you green kudos. They're cheap as chips to run - zero road tax and I gather the electricity to charge them costs around £2.50 per "tank".

But the station is 30 miles each way, so electric would probably not work, my sister gets 30 miles from her electric 'tank'. Her car costs a fortune to run as far as I can tell.

I'm not sure I have/would have the ability to charge a car overnight either I'm afraid. If it was just a 'town car' with no long journeys, then it would be a good idea (if I could sort a charging station).

woolly wrote:Since you're rural diesels might be OK green-wise - especially modern diesels, as they have a formidable amount of engineering to meet emissions standards that older diesel cars simply don't have - and you won't be pumping fumes out into narrow city streets (pollution levels are highly localised and can drop off markedly even metres away from a main road). The downside of modern diesels is they're not quite as agricultural as they used to be - you need to be quite scrupulous about maintenance and topping up all the various fluids (e.g. ad-blue) and so on. Cheap oil is a definite no-no, and in general you'll need to be quite diligent about checking service histories to ensure all the correct services have been carried out with proper-spec oil and so on. The oil thing goes for petrol cars too but is especially important for cars with turbos (generally diesels).

I am *appalling* at doing stuff to cars. I have never topped up or checked the oil in the current car. I stopped getting it serviced two years ago and now just get it through the MOT. High-maintenance is not me, nor is it my cars (or other inanimate objects, nor animate for that - the cat suffers a sort of tolerable benign neglect, but he seems to thrive on it).

woolly wrote:If you plan to keep this car as long as the last you might want to consider future-proofing - would you want to be the last fossil fuel hold-out in your town ten years hence?

I am sure I can rely on the local farmers to still be spitting out diesel fumes in years to come ;)

Mel

staffordian
Lemon Quarter

Postby staffordian » December 12th, 2016, 1:45 pm

melonfool wrote:Do the warranties transfer to secondhand then? I thought they didn't, I thought you had to rely on the dealer warranty?

Mel

In my experience, yes, they do transfer, though I guess it could be manufacturer specific and therefore of course, worth checking...

I tend to buy cars that are between six and eighteen months old rather than new, some from main dealers but others from the likes of Motorpoint.

I make a point of then having any servicing done by the main dealer, which whilst not essential, I feel helps in the event of a warranty claim.

I have had warranty work done in the above scenario with no problems or questions at all, and in one case (Ford, so it won't apply to you :D ) they did some work FOC just after the three year warranty because I was able to argue that what led to it should have been picked up by the 36 month service, which I always try to schedule prior to the warranty expiring. I think having had main dealer servicing done helped there.

The one thing to check is that if there is any manufacturers warranty left, is that the vehicle has been serviced in line with manufacturers schedule, or the warranty might well be invalidated.

Staffordian

melonfool
Lemon Quarter

Postby melonfool » December 14th, 2016, 3:15 pm

OK, £999 deposit paid by credit card, £9k to pay by debit card when I go back to collect it at 5pm.

I had a look at a few others but c4k fewer miles meant c£1,500 more, which just didn't seem worth it.

They had a trade delivery of 160 Honda Civics from Hertz, so they are all ex hire cars.

The hardest bit was batting away all the other stuff they kept trying to sell me.

I'm not 100% keen on the rear spoiler and lack of rear windscreen wiper, but it's not a big deal, there are worse things!

I got £100 for mine (they add a £99 preparation fee or something, so it netted out), taking it back at 5pm with the spare key and paperwork. I had a little cry, but I told it that it will go and live on a farm. :)

Thank you

Mel

Slarti
Lemon Quarter

Postby Slarti » December 14th, 2016, 4:15 pm

melonfool wrote:OK, £999 deposit paid by credit card, £9k to pay by debit card when I go back to collect it at 5pm.

I had a look at a few others but c4k fewer miles meant c£1,500 more, which just didn't seem worth it.

They had a trade delivery of 160 Honda Civics from Hertz, so they are all ex hire cars.

The hardest bit was batting away all the other stuff they kept trying to sell me.

I'm not 100% keen on the rear spoiler and lack of rear windscreen wiper, but it's not a big deal, there are worse things!

I got £100 for mine (they add a £99 preparation fee or something, so it netted out), taking it back at 5pm with the spare key and paperwork. I had a little cry, but I told it that it will go and live on a farm. :)

Thank you

Mel

Spoiler? Lack of rear wiper?

You've gone for something other than the sensible 5 door I30 then :o

staffordian
Lemon Quarter

Postby staffordian » December 14th, 2016, 4:18 pm

melonfool wrote:OK, £999 deposit paid by credit card, £9k to pay by debit card when I go back to collect it at 5pm.

Thank you

Mel

You won't go far wrong with a Honda Civic; Hondas don't break down. I think its the law :D

Are you certain it's not got a rear wiper? IIRC the Civic wiper is fixed to the bottom left corner of the window and when parked is vertical, so it isn't noticeable if you look at the centre of the window where they usually are.

Staffordian

bungeejumper
Lemon Half

Postby bungeejumper » December 14th, 2016, 5:36 pm

Congratulations!

Civics do have a slightly restricted rear view, due to the high rear window line and (usually) the roof spoiler, which is slatted right across the screen on some models. Your car might have a reversing camera; if not, have a think about getting some reversing sensors. (About £130 fitted, or £50 for just the kit if you can persuade someone to fit it for you.)

Best investment I ever made when I got my Passat. I have a reversing camera on my present car, but am still thinking about adding the sensors as well. I rather miss the audio warning beeps.

BJ

Return to “Cars, Driving, Motorbikes or any Transport”