Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to jfgw,Rhyd6,eyeball08,Wondergirly,bofh, for Donating to support the site

New car needed

Passion, instruction, buying, care, maintenance and more, any form of vehicle discussion is welcome here
melonfool
Lemon Quarter

Re: New car needed

Postby melonfool » December 14th, 2016, 5:58 pm

Slarti wrote:Spoiler? Lack of rear wiper?

You've gone for something other than the sensible 5 door I30 then :o

It does have a rear wiper, as the next poster said, it's not very obvious si with the spoiler there I had assumed it didn't. Yes, the spoiler goes across the rear window, it is a bit of a pain but I guess after about two weeks I'll not notice it any longer.

It has as much gumption as my old car, was worried the 1.4l wouldn't be able to compare to the 1.9l turbo diesel, but it seems fine. I did notice the other day my [old] car was struggling to get past 75mph where it would happily have done 90 before, so wonder if it wasn't "firing on all cylinders", which is even more reason for it to go.

:)

Mel

redsturgeon
Lemon Half

Postby redsturgeon » December 14th, 2016, 6:30 pm

melonfool wrote:OK, £999 deposit paid by credit card, £9k to pay by debit card when I go back to collect it at 5pm.

I had a look at a few others but c4k fewer miles meant c£1,500 more, which just didn't seem worth it.

They had a trade delivery of 160 Honda Civics from Hertz, so they are all ex hire cars.

The hardest bit was batting away all the other stuff they kept trying to sell me.

I'm not 100% keen on the rear spoiler and lack of rear windscreen wiper, but it's not a big deal, there are worse things!

I got £100 for mine (they add a £99 preparation fee or something, so it netted out), taking it back at 5pm with the spare key and paperwork. I had a little cry, but I told it that it will go and live on a farm. :)

Thank you

Mel

It was the red that did it wasn't it!

Wow, I feel a sense of responsibility now.

Enjoy your new car I'm sure it will seem like a different world to the old one.

John

melonfool
Lemon Quarter

Postby melonfool » December 14th, 2016, 6:36 pm

redsturgeon wrote:
It was the red that did it wasn't it!

Wow, I feel a sense of responsibility now.

Enjoy your new car I'm sure it will seem like a different world to the old one.

John

I looked at their list on their own computer and they had two red, the rest were blue or grey. The red ones had the slightly higher mileage and were therefore cheaper. Funny how that was the case - the blue is a very nice blue, I would have liked that, but not for the extra money.

The dealer seemed as honest as they could be. They said they don't ever discount prices, so the only 'deal' to be done was on the part ex and considering I tried to give it away to the fire brigade this morning (I heard they need old cars to practice on) £100 seemed a good deal really. Idiot OH, even though I told him three times not to bother fixing the window bought a new window mechanism and had fitted it - so £100 and it's got £60 of brand new parts on it as of this morning! And £30 of diesel. And the stereo is OK.

And no-one patronised me, asked where my male companion was, or raised their eyebrows at me being a Ms - totally different experience to other times I have been to car dealers.

:)

Mel

redsturgeon
Lemon Half

Postby redsturgeon » December 14th, 2016, 6:43 pm

That all sounds like excellent service from the selling angle, nice to hear.

At least this way you don't have to go through the whole thing again for a few years

Shame about the window mech and the diesel...when I sold my last car to webayanycar.com in was running on fumes and when they were going to knock £90 off for a scuff mark on one of the doors, I took it home and did a thirty second run with some T cut and took it back for the full price. I didn't think it would make the journey but I was determined not to put any more fuel in. Tight? Moi?

John

melonfool
Lemon Quarter

Postby melonfool » December 14th, 2016, 6:57 pm

redsturgeon wrote:That all sounds like excellent service from the selling angle, nice to hear.

At least this way you don't have to go through the whole thing again for a few years

Shame about the window mech and the diesel...when I sold my last car to webayanycar.com in was running on fumes and when they were going to knock £90 off for a scuff mark on one of the doors, I took it home and did a thirty second run with some T cut and took it back for the full price. I didn't think it would make the journey but I was determined not to put any more fuel in. Tight? Moi?

John

Well, OH paid for the window mech and I'm not paying him back, since I told him not to do it and when I saw he'd bought it I told him to send it back - no idea why he wouldn't just listen to me.

I did consider driving it to the station Thu and Fri and picking the new one up Sat to use the fuel :) The new one has a full tank, which surprised me, so I feel OK about it really.

And things like road fund licence (new and refund of old) and insurance all seem much easier than I remember. They have insured me free for five days, so I can sort out my insurance at the weekend, though it's online so I might look later.

And with it being so new, two years with no MOTs!

Mel

swill453
Lemon Half

Postby swill453 » December 14th, 2016, 7:13 pm

melonfool wrote:And things like road fund licence (new and refund of old) and insurance all seem much easier than I remember.

The VED is a rip-off though - they'll have been paid for the whole of December for both cars.

This is as it's always been for buying from a dealer. The recent change means the same rip-off now also applies to private sales (unless you arrange the sale for midnight on the last day of the month).

Scott.

Stonge
Lemon Slice

Postby Stonge » December 14th, 2016, 9:31 pm

Congratulations.

Just for info, there are some good lease deals around.

http://www.whatcar.com/car-leasing/

melonfool
Lemon Quarter

Postby melonfool » December 14th, 2016, 9:34 pm

swill453 wrote:
melonfool wrote:And things like road fund licence (new and refund of old) and insurance all seem much easier than I remember.

The VED is a rip-off though - they'll have been paid for the whole of December for both cars.

This is as it's always been for buying from a dealer. The recent change means the same rip-off now also applies to private sales (unless you arrange the sale for midnight on the last day of the month).

Scott.

Well, when you say 'rip off', you mean 'tax'? How they arrange it makes no difference, it's still just tax - and a bit more tax if you behave in a certain way.

I did realise that this now means my VED and insurance will forever be due two weeks before Christmas! It's not a problem financially, as I set the money aside, but as if one doesn't have enough to do at this time of year! Hey ho (ho ho). Maybe I'll just buy a 6m one next year so as to split it up a bit (mind you, then it makes remembering harder as there are more dates - with the old car, somehow the insurance, VED and the MOT were all more or less the same time and by a bit of juggling of the MOT dates gradually got it so they could all be done at once).

Mel

swill453
Lemon Half

Postby swill453 » December 14th, 2016, 10:51 pm

melonfool wrote:Well, when you say 'rip off', you mean 'tax'? How they arrange it makes no difference, it's still just tax - and a bit more tax if you behave in a certain way.

Well yes, but only one car has been legally entitled to be on the road in December, yet "they"'ve had 2 car's worth of tax.

Scott.

DrFfybes
Lemon Quarter

Postby DrFfybes » December 14th, 2016, 11:05 pm

melonfool wrote:I did realise that this now means my VED and insurance will forever be due two weeks before Christmas! It's not a problem financially, as I set the money aside, but as if one doesn't have enough to do at this time of year! Hey ho (ho ho). Maybe I'll just buy a 6m one next year so as to split it up a bit (mind you, then it makes remembering harder as there are more dates - with the old car, somehow the insurance, VED and the MOT were all more or less the same time and by a bit of juggling of the MOT dates gradually got it so they could all be done at once).

Mel

Wait until the last night of a month (perhaps the one before the month in which the MOT is due.)

SORN it online.

Re-tax it the following morning.

Voila - Tax and MOT are both due in the same month, and not at Xmas :)

Dr'spending a month SORN'd for tax purposes'F.

melonfool
Lemon Quarter

Postby melonfool » December 14th, 2016, 11:27 pm

DrFfybes wrote:
melonfool wrote:I did realise that this now means my VED and insurance will forever be due two weeks before Christmas! It's not a problem financially, as I set the money aside, but as if one doesn't have enough to do at this time of year! Hey ho (ho ho). Maybe I'll just buy a 6m one next year so as to split it up a bit (mind you, then it makes remembering harder as there are more dates - with the old car, somehow the insurance, VED and the MOT were all more or less the same time and by a bit of juggling of the MOT dates gradually got it so they could all be done at once).

Mel

Wait until the last night of a month (perhaps the one before the month in which the MOT is due.)

SORN it online.

Re-tax it the following morning.

Voila - Tax and MOT are both due in the same month, and not at Xmas :)

Dr'spending a month SORN'd for tax purposes'F.

I will bear that in mind, in two years when the first MOT is due!

Mel

redsturgeon
Lemon Half

Postby redsturgeon » December 15th, 2016, 6:51 am

I will bear that in mind, in two years when the first MOT is due!

Mel

Show off! ;)

Is the new baby home now?

John

melonfool
Lemon Quarter

Postby melonfool » December 15th, 2016, 9:42 am

redsturgeon wrote:
Is the new baby home now?

John

I went and sorted it out around 1pm, then picked it up about 5pm. They had to 'prepare it', which I think means drive it to the front and give it a quick squirt with fairy Liquid or something. Last wash it will have for a while - I don't think I ever washed the last one in ten years!

It nags me. I am not keen on this. If I drive 'aggressively' the dash lights are blue, if I am OK, they are kind of aquamarine, if I am a good girl they go green.

Mel

swill453
Lemon Half

Postby swill453 » December 15th, 2016, 9:51 am

You can probably disable the colour changing in its settings menu.

Scott.

redsturgeon
Lemon Half

Postby redsturgeon » December 15th, 2016, 9:55 am

If I drive 'aggressively' the dash lights are blue

And it took you how long to find this out? ;)

I guess the best way to get out of Peterborough quickly is to drive like an extra in Fast and Furious 17!

John

melonfool
Lemon Quarter

Postby melonfool » December 15th, 2016, 10:53 am

redsturgeon wrote:
If I drive 'aggressively' the dash lights are blue

And it took you how long to find this out? ;)

I guess the best way to get out of Peterborough quickly is to drive like an extra in Fast and Furious 17!

John

Well, to be fair, I read it in the manual then observed it this morning. But, yes, while I don't live *in* Peterborough (I live in a village), I have to go through it to the A1* and I prefer to limit the time that takes as much as possible!

Mel

* there are other ways, but the slip roads onto the A1 from my village are heart-in-mouth types and I don't like them, too many lorries, only two lanes, short slips, blind bends....not doing that at 6am!

stooz
Site Admin

Postby stooz » December 16th, 2016, 12:11 am

The civic is a fine choice. I built a website for a local honda dealership and I got a great insight into hondas ethics toward customer csre and car manafacture.

So much so I now own a honda.
A friend is looking to sell his civic soon, 11 years old 220, 000 miles and only needed one set of brake pads. Not a single fault.

However many modern cars burn oil as part of the lubrication of the engine so please check and top it up, as it will use it up.

jonthetourist

Postby jonthetourist » December 19th, 2016, 9:48 pm

You won't go far wrong with a Honda Civic; Hondas don't break down. I think its the law :D

When my daughter turned 17 instead of buying her an old banger she got her mum's old Honda Civic as a learner / first car. 7 years later it's still going strong. (Daughter is miffed as she has wanted something small and trendy for years)

Enjoy!

Jon

jackdaww
Lemon Quarter

Postby jackdaww » December 27th, 2016, 4:57 pm

in the times today , dr mark porter gave us ten resolutions.

the third was -- " make your next car a petrol one"

..the move to diesel is now widely regarded as a mistake ... for the health of those that live and work in built up areas .

.. diesels are much dirtier than petrol in busy traffic...

i have never owned a diesel .

it seems indefensible - particulates , nox and decibels - cannot be good for those living/working in built up areas.

. :x

melonfool
Lemon Quarter

Postby melonfool » December 27th, 2016, 6:21 pm

jackdaww wrote:in the times today , dr mark porter gave us ten resolutions.

the third was -- " make your next car a petrol one"

..the move to diesel is now widely regarded as a mistake ... for the health of those that live and work in built up areas .

.. diesels are much dirtier than petrol in busy traffic...

i have never owned a diesel .

it seems indefensible - particulates , nox and decibels - cannot be good for those living/working in built up areas.

. :x

Glad I am back in with the zeitgeist. It is quieter and I do feel less guilty starting it at 6am in our small close.

Mel

Return to “Cars, Driving, Motorbikes or any Transport”