Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to Rhyd6,eyeball08,Wondergirly,bofh,johnstevens77, for Donating to support the site

Free Parking

Passion, instruction, buying, care, maintenance and more, any form of vehicle discussion is welcome here
DrFfybes
Lemon Quarter

Re: Free Parking

Postby DrFfybes » January 1st, 2017, 4:30 pm

Snorvey wrote:A few car parks in my area have charging points for electric cars. Free electricity AND free parking, the gits. Despite this, no one ever seems to use the spaces though. What a waste

For short stays I'd be tempted to fix an 'Eco - EV' sticker on the boot lid of the fossil fuel burner, lift the bonnet and chuck the end of the charger into the engine bay. At a casual glance, I wouldn't think it would look much different from this VW thing/

http://insideevs.com/wp-content/uploads ... _large.jpg

On my last day in me previous job I went to get cakes. The only available space on my return was the never used "Electric Vehicles Only" charging point installed when they trialled a Leaf for a month.

I parked there, grabbed a 3m RJ45 patch lead from my drawer, and ran it from the charging hook-up into the boot of the Maser. When the boss commented I said the battery was flat. I'm not sure when he realised I wouldn't have had a plug for the charging point.

bungeejumper
Lemon Half

Postby bungeejumper » January 1st, 2017, 5:46 pm

DrFfybes wrote:I parked there, grabbed a 3m RJ45 patch lead from my drawer, and ran it from the charging hook-up into the boot of the Maser. When the boss commented I said the battery was flat. I'm not sure when he realised I wouldn't have had a plug for the charging point.

:D :D :D :D :D :D

According to our local council, we have two EV charging points in car parks within a five mile radius of here. Alas, one of them is in a residents-only zone where anybody without the right badge will pick up an automatic £60 fine for even trying to hook up to the juice. Which would have paid for a week's petrol. I'm not sure our council has fully got the hang of this EV business yet.

BJ

Ashfordian
Lemon Slice

Postby Ashfordian » January 1st, 2017, 6:33 pm

Snorvey wrote:A few car parks in my area have charging points for electric cars. Free electricity AND free parking, the gits. Despite this, no one ever seems to use the spaces though. What a waste

There are 2 of these spaces with a shared charger near to where I work and it is the first street side one that I have seen.

During the working day at least one, if not both spaces are occupied by electric cars that are on charge.

"Build it and they will come" seems to suit this scenario. You definitely need to have the infrastructure in place to allow the cars to be a viable transport

NomoneyNohoney
Lemon Slice

Postby NomoneyNohoney » January 1st, 2017, 8:33 pm

I can imagine a Tv sketch, of two electric car owners.
Each morning they grimly race, leaving earlier and earlier each day, just to get to the charging point. If they come second, at night they don't have enough battery to get home, hence the desperation...

bungeejumper
Lemon Half

Postby bungeejumper » January 3rd, 2017, 12:56 pm

NomoneyNohoney wrote:Each morning they grimly race, leaving earlier and earlier each day, just to get to the charging point. If they come second, at night they don't have enough battery to get home, hence the desperation...

I like it. Musical chairs with a potentially murderous 21st century twist. A few CCTV cameras and you've got yourself some prime time TV. :twisted:

All it needs is a catchy name, in fact. Load Rage? Amper-Rage? I'm sure somebody can do better than that?

BJ

didds
Lemon Half

Postby didds » January 3rd, 2017, 5:23 pm

"Race for Ohm"

"Resistance is Fueltile"

"Power Rangers"

?

didds

malkymoo
Lemon Slice

Postby malkymoo » January 3rd, 2017, 9:19 pm

Who's on Charge?

panamagold
Lemon Slice

Postby panamagold » January 3rd, 2017, 9:30 pm

I can see the headlines:

'A surge of commuters revolt and take positive action against the councils discharge of duty and negative network of static resistance and in-frequency of installation of ample charging circuits and sockets for current electric motor vehicles'.

bungeejumper
Lemon Half

Postby bungeejumper » January 4th, 2017, 11:11 am

panamagold wrote:'A surge of commuters revolt and take positive action against the councils discharge of duty and negative network of static resistance and in-frequency of installation of ample charging circuits and sockets for current electric motor vehicles'.

Aye, sparks will fly. But will it bring them down to earth? I reckon we're talking about a long lead time.

BJ

jfgw
Lemon Quarter

Postby jfgw » January 4th, 2017, 12:13 pm

bungeejumper wrote:According to our local council, we have two EV charging points in car parks within a five mile radius of here. Alas, one of them is in a residents-only zone where anybody without the right badge will pick up an automatic £60 fine for even trying to hook up to the juice.

And,

bungeejumper wrote:I reckon we're talking about a long lead time.

There is possibly and answer there somewhere.

Julian F. G. W.

bungeejumper
Lemon Half

Postby bungeejumper » January 4th, 2017, 1:50 pm

* Terminal Kombat?
* Assault and Battery?

And not forgetting:
* Whose Line Is It Anyway?

I'll get me coat.

BJ

wheypat
Lemon Slice

Postby wheypat » January 5th, 2017, 3:05 pm

Well, I've got a leaf and I use them. And it's great. Free parking and a charge up as well (note the electricity normally isn't free as you have to join the provider for that) but it's still great to use :)

DrFfybes
Lemon Quarter

Postby DrFfybes » January 5th, 2017, 8:29 pm

wheypat wrote:Well, I've got a leaf and I use them. And it's great. Free parking and a charge up as well (note the electricity normally isn't free as you have to join the provider for that) but it's still great to use :)

I would actually consider an electric car, especially if I knew it would do the 255 miles up to my mum without worrying about getting caught in traffic or the M/way being closed (like it was on the way back at Xmas).

90% of my journeys are round trips of under 10 miles. However 90% of my mileage are trips over 100 miles. Getting a leccy car just to commute isn't really feasible.

wheypat
Lemon Slice

Postby wheypat » January 6th, 2017, 9:27 am

DrFfybes wrote:
wheypat wrote:Well, I've got a leaf and I use them. And it's great. Free parking and a charge up as well (note the electricity normally isn't free as you have to join the provider for that) but it's still great to use :)

I would actually consider an electric car, especially if I knew it would do the 255 miles up to my mum without worrying about getting caught in traffic or the M/way being closed (like it was on the way back at Xmas).

90% of my journeys are round trips of under 10 miles. However 90% of my mileage are trips over 100 miles. Getting a leccy car just to commute isn't really feasible.

Indeed - that was my issue. So when one of the cars came to the end of it's life that was why we replaced it with a leaf. Twice a day we take my son to school and back in it (40 miles a day) and it's on charge at the other times. When we visit parents, go on holiday etc. then the diesel comes back into play.

For short journeys though the leaf is hard to beat. And this year there will be a whole raft of 200+ mile electric options (Chevvy Bolt, Tesla 3, 2017 Leaf, Renault Zoe). Of if you're richer than most the Faraday Future has a 400+ mile range.

Return to “Cars, Driving, Motorbikes or any Transport”