Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to Rhyd6,eyeball08,Wondergirly,bofh,johnstevens77, for Donating to support the site

VW

Passion, instruction, buying, care, maintenance and more, any form of vehicle discussion is welcome here
swill453
Lemon Half

VW

Postby swill453 » January 3rd, 2017, 10:03 am

Looks like no lasting damage to their reputation in Sweden anyway. Best selling car in 2016 wasn't a Volvo for the first time in 50 years, it was a Golf.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-38493295

Scott.

Mike88
Lemon Slice

Re: VW

Postby Mike88 » January 3rd, 2017, 12:53 pm

There has been lasting damage to me as my car at least - an Audi Q3 - is the biggest pile of rubbish I have ever owned. So many faults and niggles in a car that has covered only 12000 miles is ridiculous. Last month an oil seal failed in the transfer box. Audi don't sell the seal so a new transfer box costing £3000 was required. Fortunately the cost was covered by the VW/Audi warranty but if this is an example of German engineering I will return to another marque sooner rather than later. Rant over.

bungeejumper
Lemon Half

Re: VW

Postby bungeejumper » January 5th, 2017, 11:14 am

Mike88 wrote:There has been lasting damage to me as my car at least - an Audi Q3 - is the biggest pile of rubbish I have ever owned. So many faults and niggles in a car that has covered only 12000 miles is ridiculous. Last month an oil seal failed in the transfer box. Audi don't sell the seal so a new transfer box costing £3000 was required. Fortunately the cost was covered by the VW/Audi warranty but if this is an example of German engineering I will return to another marque sooner rather than later. Rant over.

Sounds like an old-fashioned Friday car - you'll hear similar about every brand. That's an odd one about the oil seal, though. It sounds like you may not have been told the whole story. According to a quick Google search, a gone seal in the transfer box is likely to trash the onboard ecu, and that'll be why VW replaced the whole caboodle on a newish car rather than trying to patch it up. (And good for them - would you honestly rather that they did anything else?) FWIW, there are plenty of Q3 transfer box seals out there for sale, so I'd guess that the older-car repair situation is covered.

My three VWs have all been fantastically reliable, although VAG have had a well-publicised design problem with their aircon compressors, and with their pre-2009 DSG gearboxes. I'll be buying another Passat just as soon as Wolfsburg have got their heads out of their backsides and fixed their engine/emission problems permanently, instead of installing a bodge as at present. Oh, and sharpened up their customer relations a bit. :roll: Might take a few years. No complaints about build quality per se.

BJ

Return to “Cars, Driving, Motorbikes or any Transport”