Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to Rhyd6,eyeball08,Wondergirly,bofh,johnstevens77, for Donating to support the site

Ever moved a sofa bed using a car?

Passion, instruction, buying, care, maintenance and more, any form of vehicle discussion is welcome here
NomoneyNohoney
Lemon Slice

Ever moved a sofa bed using a car?

Postby NomoneyNohoney » January 14th, 2017, 4:56 pm

Here's a long shot. I am considering buying and moving a sofa bed, using a standard 5 door saloon Mondeo Mk 111.
I am toying with the idea of making a frame, to test whether it would fit into the boot opening, but just wondered if anyone has actually moved anything similar with a Mondeo. I reckon the test frame to check size is the way to go, but can anyone give an answer before I do?

If I had to I could hire a van, but if I can squeeze it into the car, that would be favourite.

redsturgeon
Lemon Half

Re: Ever moved a sofa bed using a car?

Postby redsturgeon » January 14th, 2017, 5:04 pm

Itsallaguess
Lemon Half

Postby Itsallaguess » January 14th, 2017, 5:17 pm

NomoneyNohoney wrote:
If I had to I could hire a van, but if I can squeeze it into the car, that would be favourite.

Just the one sofa?

Pah!

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/73 ... bdc0a1.jpg

Of course, joking aside, doing the job with the correct vehicle would be best -

http://assets.nydailynews.com/polopoly_ ... -kenya.jpg

:D

Itsallaguess

NomoneyNohoney
Lemon Slice

Postby NomoneyNohoney » January 14th, 2017, 5:19 pm

The first link didn't have a successful outcome, and unfortunately, I can't access the Telegraph website - I've blocked it, along with the Daily Mail.
Is that second link available on any other site?

poundcoin
Lemon Slice

Postby poundcoin » January 14th, 2017, 5:21 pm

Didn't try a bed settee but helped my son take 2 large fridge freezers in an 09 Mondeo to the tip .
Obviously measure up but amazing the amount of space in the Mondeo when the backseats are folded down .

redsturgeon
Lemon Half

Postby redsturgeon » January 14th, 2017, 7:17 pm

NomoneyNohoney
Lemon Slice

Postby NomoneyNohoney » January 14th, 2017, 7:38 pm

redsturgeon wrote:http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/driver-busted-trying-transport-huge-9351207

Mirror Ok?

John

Thanks John ( as I think I've mentioned before, I've blocked the Telegraph and Daily Maul from being able to be accessed from home, they upset me that much!)

redsturgeon
Lemon Half

Postby redsturgeon » January 14th, 2017, 7:42 pm

NomoneyNohoney wrote:
redsturgeon wrote:http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/driver-busted-trying-transport-huge-9351207

Mirror Ok?

John

Thanks John ( as I think I've mentioned before, I've blocked the Telegraph and Daily Maul from being able to be accessed from home, they upset me that much!)

LOL I feel that way about much of what I have to read on Polite Discussions but I feel it is character building.

John

DrFfybes
Lemon Quarter

Postby DrFfybes » January 15th, 2017, 9:26 am

NomoneyNohoney wrote:Thanks John ( as I think I've mentioned before, I've blocked the Telegraph and Daily Maul from being able to be accessed from home, they upset me that much!)

"I read an article in the DM once about Cannabis smoking. Apparently it can cause paranoia and depression."

"Really? All that, just from reading one article?"

OTSO sofa beds - it might fit, but the are incredibly heavy!

Paul

bungeejumper
Lemon Half

Postby bungeejumper » January 15th, 2017, 1:16 pm

Hate to be a spoilsport, but against the points on your licence, the £35 to £47 that a cheap rented van would cost you seem like a bit of a bargain really. (Sample prices? http://www.practical.co.uk/locations/en ... p?vcat=van . Similar avaibale near me.)

But hey, the devil's in the details. Or rather, the inches. If you can get the tailgate shut, good luck to you. If not, don't drive it past any ANR cameras. Or on the motorway.

BJ

bungeejumper
Lemon Half

Postby bungeejumper » January 15th, 2017, 3:22 pm

If you can get the tailgate shut, good luck to you. If not, don't drive it past any ANR cameras. Or on the motorway.

And ferchrissake, open the windows and turn the fans up high. A half open roped-down tailgate will suck all that lovely carbon monoxide back into the cabin, and you can figure out where that story goes. There, that van sounds better and better, doesn't it?

BJ

NomoneyNohoney
Lemon Slice

Postby NomoneyNohoney » January 15th, 2017, 7:23 pm

BJ, it's kind of you to have my welfare at heart, but I did originally say I would hire a van if I had to, but moving it in the car would be favourite.

I have occasionally moved furniture using cars before, so it's not as if it's a new game. Yes, I agree that exhaust fumes could be a problem - that's why I open the windows and dress warmly, if I have the tailgate open at all. And yes, I rope the item(s) into place and hang a bit of red material on the far end of the item that's sticking out of the car. Sometimes I put the hazards on, so that people understand why I'm just doing 20 mph on a clear road, all that kind of thing.

If anyone is interested - and for my own reference in the future! - the dims for a Mark 3 Mondeo are:

Width between wheel arches 37 1/4" - 94 cms
Height, top edge of hatch to level floor : 30" - 76 cms

(The height is what really surprised me, it seems odd that it's so low. Measured twice though.)

jfgw
Lemon Quarter

Postby jfgw » January 15th, 2017, 8:14 pm

NomoneyNohoney wrote:Sometimes I put the hazards on, so that people understand why I'm just doing 20 mph on a clear road, all that kind of thing.

Or to demonstrate that you do not know Rule 116 of The Highway Code:

Hazard warning lights. These may be used when your vehicle is stationary, to warn that it is temporarily obstructing traffic. ...You MUST NOT use hazard warning lights while driving or being towed unless you are on a motorway or unrestricted dual carriageway and you need to warn drivers behind you of a hazard or obstruction ahead. ...

One problem with using hazard warning lights while driving is that, if other drivers can only see one side, it looks like you are indicating.

Julian F. G. W.

NomoneyNohoney
Lemon Slice

Postby NomoneyNohoney » January 15th, 2017, 8:39 pm

jfgw wrote:
You MUST NOT use hazard warning lights while driving or being towed unless you are on a motorway or unrestricted dual carriageway and you need to warn drivers behind you of a hazard or obstruction ahead. ...

Yup, I am that hazard, ahead of them.

bungeejumper
Lemon Half

Postby bungeejumper » January 16th, 2017, 8:50 am

NomoneyNohoney wrote:I have occasionally moved furniture using cars before, so it's not as if it's a new game. Yes, I agree that exhaust fumes could be a problem - that's why I open the windows and dress warmly, if I have the tailgate open at all. And yes, I rope the item(s) into place and hang a bit of red material on the far end of the item that's sticking out of the car.

Sorry, NmNh, didn't mean to teach you to suck eggs. We lost someone in my wife's family to carbon monoxide poisoning, so it's always a bit of a preoccupation with me. I'll shut up now.

The dims for a Mark 3 Mondeo are:

Width between wheel arches 37 1/4" - 94 cms
Height, top edge of hatch to level floor : 30" - 76 cms. (The height is what really surprised me, it seems odd that it's so low. Measured twice though.)

I doubt that many cars have much more than that! I suppose it must be that by the time you've put a petrol tank and a spare wheel under it, the loadspace is higher that you tend to expect. And then they often put in a low-hanging tailgate that cramps your style even further. (A bigger rim for greater body rigidity, I imagine.)

Best car I ever had for height was a Mini Clubman estate back in the early eighties. I got a full sized desk into that (with the rear doors closed), and to this day I still don't know how. It was hell getting it out again, though. :lol:

BJ

Return to “Cars, Driving, Motorbikes or any Transport”