Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to Wasron,jfgw,Rhyd6,eyeball08,Wondergirly, for Donating to support the site

New Vehicle Excise Duty rates .

Passion, instruction, buying, care, maintenance and more, any form of vehicle discussion is welcome here
poundcoin
Lemon Slice

New Vehicle Excise Duty rates .

Postby poundcoin » January 15th, 2017, 9:18 am

Just read about the new car tax rates being introduced in April this year .
Seems incredibly complicated and expensive for some ! After a quick read it only applies to new cars registered after April .
Unlikely I will ever buy a new car and hope existing old bangers like mine stay roughly the same .

http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/car-news/c ... k-road-tax

bungeejumper
Lemon Half

Re: New Vehicle Excise Duty rates .

Postby bungeejumper » January 15th, 2017, 1:49 pm

This scale seems clearer: http://www.nextgreencar.com/car-tax/2017-bands/ .

It's unlikely that older cars will be retrospectively penalised. But some of the lower-tax bands enjoyed by existing cars will disappear if they're bought new after April, it seems. My wife's 1.6 diesel Golf, which does 55 mpg, would go up from £30 a year to £140, which would hurt. (And some would say that, after dieselgate, it was richly deserved, but that's another matter.) I'd imagine that the new system will presumably add to its s/h desirability?

Conversely, my petrol Toyota, which does only 40 mpg, would come down to £140 under the new system. I suppose there's some justice in the new system, but it does look as though the Chancellor is just lashing out at the clever-clogs who've managed to keep their VED low until now. These changes aren't going to improve the planet.

BJ

swill453
Lemon Half

Postby swill453 » January 15th, 2017, 1:58 pm

bungeejumper wrote:This scale seems clearer: http://www.nextgreencar.com/car-tax/2017-bands/ .

Clearer yes, but it's still moving to a very complicated system, with the "first year rate" and the "premium model" supplement.

I don't see why they couldn't have just adjusted the current CO2 bands downwards (since apparently 75% of new cars are now coming into the >100g band).

Scott.

bungeejumper
Lemon Half

Postby bungeejumper » January 15th, 2017, 2:03 pm

Clearer yes, but it's still moving to a very complicated system, with the "first year rate" and the "premium model" supplement.

Agreed. As far as I can see, however, the premium rate is just for cars that cost over £40,000 new after April, and it equates to an extra £310 a year on the VED for the first five years. Doesn't affect other cars. Which, for some of us, is one less thing to think about. :lol:

BJ

DrFfybes
Lemon Quarter

Postby DrFfybes » January 16th, 2017, 12:31 pm

bungeejumper wrote:
Agreed. As far as I can see, however, the premium rate is just for cars that cost over £40,000 new after April, and it equates to an extra £310 a year on the VED for the first five years. Doesn't affect other cars. Which, for some of us, is one less thing to think about. :lol:

BJ

I do like the way the rate flattens out after year 1, this removes the current bizarre system where 10 year old cars can be worth a couple of grand more if they were registered in March rather than April.

However, it isn't known if the premium supplement applies to ZE or hybrid vehicles. You could find that over 5 years the plug in Outlander PHEV costs twice as much as the 140g CO2 diesel.

poundcoin
Lemon Slice

Postby poundcoin » January 18th, 2017, 10:56 am

Snorvey wrote:I still don't see why they can't just just add a bit of extra to the price of fuel and do away with the whole car tax system.

I mean it's progressive, it's cheap to collect and it's practically unavoidable. What's not to like?

Agreed .....those that use the roads more pay the extra tax for the networks upkeep . Plus all the foreign traffic pay their share too . Not to mention all the staff and offices and pensions that are needed to administer the current system .

Lootman
The full Lemon

Postby Lootman » January 18th, 2017, 2:35 pm

Snorvey wrote:I still don't see why they can't just just add a bit of extra to the price of fuel and do away with the whole car tax system.

I mean it's progressive, it's cheap to collect and it's practically unavoidable. What's not to like?

I suspect the authorities like having mandatory annual vehicle registration because it gives them the opportunity to check your paperwork and keep owners on their toes. Plus there's the extra revenue when a driver forgets and gets caught.

robbelg
Lemon Slice

Postby robbelg » January 18th, 2017, 4:33 pm

Its been suggested before but there were huge complaints from countryside folks who have to drive further and thus pay more.

quelquod
Lemon Quarter

Postby quelquod » February 5th, 2017, 5:13 pm

robbelg wrote:

Its been suggested before but there were huge complaints from countryside folks who have to drive further and thus pay more.

Nothing to do I suppose with the gigantic, gas-swilling, car-park-blocking monstrosities that many countryside folk seem to worship. ;)

bungeejumper
Lemon Half

Postby bungeejumper » February 5th, 2017, 6:08 pm

quelquod wrote:Nothing to do I suppose with the gigantic, gas-swilling, car-park-blocking monstrosities that many countryside folk seem to worship. ;)

I think you'll find that your average rural motorist is driving a twelve year old Astra these days. Static wages and soaring rents, largely caused by the 4x4-driving Hooray Henrys snapping up all the housing, are squeezing these people pretty hard. I'm no supporter of the Countryside Alliance, but I can see where they're coming from.

Having said that, I do know four people in our end of the village who drive old Land Rovers or battered Hiluxes. All four of them are farm workers. There are always a few shiny new Range River Vogues parked outside the organic farm shop, but they're mostly townies doing a Marie Antoinette. Ne'er the twain shall meet.

BJ

Return to “Cars, Driving, Motorbikes or any Transport”