Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to bruncher,niord,gvonge,Shelford,GrahamPlatt, for Donating to support the site

Honey fungus

wildlife, gardening, environment, Rural living, Pets and Vets
88V8
Lemon Half

Honey fungus

Postby 88V8 » November 22nd, 2022, 5:57 pm

Years ago, perhaps twenty or more, the PO had a large ash tree cut down, but foolishly left the stump. Unfortunately I did not give thought to it.
Last year, a clerodendron maybe 30' distant suddenly died, then another, and then a rosa gallica sp, then this year another rose and a large shrubby lilac at 60' or more, and finally fttb, a large wedding cake tree another 100' on.

Four years ago I had the ash stump dug out, perhaps it was too late , or perhaps honey fungus has come into the garden from spores, it does not only travel underground.

Anyway, until the wedding cake I had no clear evidence that it was honey fungus, although roses and lilac are amongst the known susceptible species. The wedding cake however, which went from healthy to rotting and falling over in 6 months, had the white mycellium beneath the bark. I spent part of this afternoon beginning to dig it out.

Going back 20 years the chemical remedy for honey fungus, or supposed remedy, was Armillatox. One result of the EU's interference was that like many useful garden chemicals such as tar oil winter wash, it was removed as a fungicide in 2003 and the Co that made it was wound up in 2016. So now there appears to be no treatment at all.

Unless you know of anything?

We have many large trees and shrubs in our half acre, including a Kiftsgate 60' high in a large sycamore, both of which are vulnerable.
I hate the thought that one by one they may all die.

V8

ReformedCharacter
Lemon Quarter

Re: Honey fungus

Postby ReformedCharacter » November 22nd, 2022, 6:35 pm

Armillatox appears to be available still, but sold as a patio cleaner:

I have used this product for many years with excellent results. It is also a garden product but I believe they are not allowed to advertise it as such due to some ridiculous EU regulations. It is produced by a smallish company who unfortunately do not have the finances to fight the matter in court. Phone them and they will tell you all its applications.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Armillatox-Outdoor-Cleaner-garden-chemical/product-reviews/B0036AXOH2?reviewerType=all_reviews

RC

88V8
Lemon Half

Postby 88V8 » November 22nd, 2022, 7:23 pm

ReformedCharacter wrote:Armillatox appears to be available still, but sold as a patio cleaner:

Yes, they did manage to keep it going for a while as a cleaner, but sadly when you click through to buy it, it's no longer available.
It's a bit like the situation with creosote - should have bought some more while I could.

V8

Nimrod103
Lemon Half

Postby Nimrod103 » November 22nd, 2022, 10:56 pm

I always suspected that the volume of armatillox needed to drench the garden and rid it of Honey Fungus was just ridiculous.

I had fungus in the further half of my garden. It killed my newly planted rhubarb, and when I dug it up I found the typical bootlaces spreading underground from old rotten apple tree roots, which as far as possible I removed.
Since then I have found the bootlaces in several different parts of my garden, though I have not lost any more plants, shrubs or trees. Which led me to presume that there may be different types of Honey fungus, some of which are not so destructive.

In the long run I think the only course of action is to live with it, but avoid planting susceptible plants and trees.

BullDog
Lemon Quarter

Postby BullDog » November 23rd, 2022, 7:49 am

Nimrod103 wrote:I always suspected that the volume of armatillox needed to drench the garden and rid it of Honey Fungus was just ridiculous.

I had fungus in the further half of my garden. It killed my newly planted rhubarb, and when I dug it up I found the typical bootlaces spreading underground from old rotten apple tree roots, which as far as possible I removed.
Since then I have found the bootlaces in several different parts of my garden, though I have not lost any more plants, shrubs or trees. Which led me to presume that there may be different types of Honey fungus, some of which are not so destructive.

In the long run I think the only course of action is to live with it, but avoid planting susceptible plants and trees.

That has been the case for millions of years in nature. I suspect anything else is fighting a losing battle and I expect most people have other things they would be better occupied doing.

bungeejumper
Lemon Half

Postby bungeejumper » November 23rd, 2022, 8:27 am

I don't think anything will kill a Kiftsgate. If you manage it, patent the method. :lol:

Agree with others, though. We got honey fungus 25 years ago, after we felled a dangerous but ancient birch tree (with permission from the listed trees people, obviously). And even though we took the precaution of having the entire rootball excavated (which broke the bucket on the JCB!), we've suspected that it may have caused the demise of some other trees and bushes over the years. Beyond that, there was little to be done. And eventually the deaths stopped. That's about the best comfort I can offer. :|

Roses, cotoneasters etc can often have defined lifespans after which they weaken naturally and eventually die, so honey fungus might not actually be the explanation. We did mourn the loss of our quinces, though. Laurels, bays and holly have all proved to be resilient against the pest. Good luck!

BJ

Return to “The Natural World”