Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to Steffers0,lansdown,Wasron,jfgw,Rhyd6, for Donating to support the site

Weeping tree

wildlife, gardening, environment, Rural living, Pets and Vets
valueinvestor123
Lemon Pip

Weeping tree

Postby valueinvestor123 » May 1st, 2017, 10:42 am

Hello,
We are looking for tree recommendations to plant in the middle of our garden. Ideally, my wife wants a decorative tree with weeping branches that also has nice blossoms in spring or winter.
Has to be something that grows well in UK and isn't prone to too many illnesses and perhaps grows relatively fast (she wants to have our kids hide underneath it).
I know...lots of demands. :)
Would be great to hear some suggestions.
Thanks!
vi123

redsturgeon
Lemon Half

Re: Weeping tree

Postby redsturgeon » May 1st, 2017, 11:28 am

A weeping willow will grow quickly but a weeping cherry will be much better for blossom while a weeping Japanese maple will give stunning foliage colours.

https://www.fast-growing-trees.com/WeepingWillow.htm

https://www.gardeningknowhow.com/orname ... g-tips.htm

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=weepi ... bJOKgODTSM:

John

valueinvestor123
Lemon Pip

Postby valueinvestor123 » May 1st, 2017, 12:00 pm

Thanks, I tend to lean towards the weeping cherry:

https://www.ornamental-trees.co.uk/prun ... -tree-pp27

We actually have this tree in the front but it's not a weeping variety. The blossoms are stunning though. I also planted the Yoshino cherry about 3-4 years ago: this one is a weeping kind but it's very small still (under a meter still). is it possible to buy them as semi-mature trees? (around 3 meters would be good). The website says the biggest you can get is 4.5-6m but the tallest they grow is 3x3 which is confusing...

redsturgeon
Lemon Half

Postby redsturgeon » May 1st, 2017, 12:12 pm

valueinvestor123 wrote:Thanks, I tend to lean towards the weeping cherry:

https://www.ornamental-trees.co.uk/prun ... -tree-pp27

We actually have this tree in the front but it's not a weeping variety. The blossoms are stunning though. I also planted the Yoshino cherry about 3-4 years ago: this one is a weeping kind but it's very small still (under a meter still). is it possible to buy them as semi-mature trees? (around 3 meters would be good). The website says the biggest you can get is 4.5-6m but the tallest they grow is 3x3 which is confusing...

You can buy mature trees...at a price.

For example
https://www.barcham.co.uk/products/prun ... ls-weeping

John

Breelander
Lemon Quarter

Postby Breelander » May 1st, 2017, 3:39 pm

While weeping cherries are an obvious choice, don't forget there are weeping crab-apples too...

https://www.rhs.org.uk/Plants/104053/i- ... al/Details

Slarti
Lemon Quarter

Postby Slarti » May 1st, 2017, 7:39 pm

My only sensible contribution to this is to point out that Weeping Willows can grow very large, especially if given a lot of water.

There is (was?) a large one at the lakeside in Clumber Park in Notts. It was huge, 20/25m across and high.
And I believe the roots go as far as the width of the trees.

Slarti

Nimrod103
Lemon Half

Postby Nimrod103 » May 2nd, 2017, 5:14 pm

valueinvestor123 wrote:Hello,
We are looking for tree recommendations to plant in the middle of our garden. Ideally, my wife wants a decorative tree with weeping branches that also has nice blossoms in spring or winter.
Has to be something that grows well in UK and isn't prone to too many illnesses and perhaps grows relatively fast (she wants to have our kids hide underneath it).
I know...lots of demands. :)
Would be great to hear some suggestions.
Thanks!
vi123

Fast growing trees tend to continue growing fast after reaching the size you want.
Also most weeping willows I have seen are affected by the disease anthracnose of willows, which can be disfiguring.
What about a solid wigwam type structure over which grows a creeper like clematis?

valueinvestor123
Lemon Pip

Postby valueinvestor123 » May 2nd, 2017, 5:26 pm

I think a weeping cherry is pretty self-contained/doesn't grow massive.
I might go with that. I just love the pink blossoms/wish they stayed longer than a few weeks.
Wigwam is a great idea but we are just about to build a tree house for the kids as well so that might be enough 'structures' in the garden. Plus our garden is not that big. Will post some photos later for some ideas.
Thanks! vi123

fuiseog

Postby fuiseog » May 3rd, 2017, 12:40 pm

Salix caprea pendula (weeping goat willow - small growing and prunable to contain)

Cotoneaster Hybridus Pendulus (weeping cotoneaster - white spring flowers, red autumn berries, evergreen)

Pyrus salicifolia pendula (weeping silver leaf pear - medium sized but prunable to contain)

Prunus Kiku Shidare Zakura (Cheal's Weeping Cherry - the showy pink flowerer)

Prunus subhirtilla Pendula Rosea (less common cherry, now called Prunus pendula 'Pendula Rosea') flowers very early in spring

Betula pendula Tristis (weeping birch, medium growing)

If you google the Latin names above you'll find lots of information about them. All of the above are freely available in the trade.

There's loads more:

The big one is Salix x chrysocoma (syn. vitellina pendula et al.-you need a big garden and plant it nowhere near your house!). Also big growing are Fraxinus excelsior Penduls (weeping ash) and Fagus sylvatica Pendula (weeping beech with green or purple forms)

Nimrod103
Lemon Half

Postby Nimrod103 » May 3rd, 2017, 5:52 pm

fuiseog wrote:Salix caprea pendula (weeping goat willow - small growing and prunable to contain)

Cotoneaster Hybridus Pendulus (weeping cotoneaster - white spring flowers, red autumn berries, evergreen)

Pyrus salicifolia pendula (weeping silver leaf pear - medium sized but prunable to contain)

Prunus Kiku Shidare Zakura (Cheal's Weeping Cherry - the showy pink flowerer)

Prunus subhirtilla Pendula Rosea (less common cherry, now called Prunus pendula 'Pendula Rosea') flowers very early in spring

Betula pendula Tristis (weeping birch, medium growing)

If you google the Latin names above you'll find lots of information about them. All of the above are freely available in the trade.

There's loads more:

The big one is Salix x chrysocoma (syn. vitellina pendula et al.-you need a big garden and plant it nowhere near your house!). Also big growing are Fraxinus excelsior Penduls (weeping ash) and Fagus sylvatica Pendula (weeping beech with green or purple forms)

I had a weeping silver leaf pear which was planted when our house was built. It eventually died at the age of c.50 years.. Very slow growing, though it was a bit overshadowed by a large Prunus padus, and the flowers were not really up to much.

Return to “The Natural World”