Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to eyeball08,Wondergirly,bofh,johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva, for Donating to support the site

Planet Earth II

wildlife, gardening, environment, Rural living, Pets and Vets
bungeejumper
Lemon Half

Planet Earth II

Postby bungeejumper » December 6th, 2016, 10:17 am

So nice to see David Attenborough back on the job. 'National Treasure' seems too slight a compliment, somehow. And nor are we only nation that think so. My American contacts are crazy about him as well. I think it's his voice, which always carries such quiet authority.

How nice, also, to hear Attenborough standing up for good old-fashioned British values. Last Sunday we were told that a certain type of grass can grow by two feet a day. Not "600 millimetres", whatever that is. But then the penny dropped. One of the odd things about this programme is that none of the larger animals ever seem to get killed. A sure sign that the series is being bankrolled by American interests, who have to factor in the potential loss of income if their programmes are considered to be un-schoolworthy.

Great series, though. I'm really looking forward to next Sunday's edition, which is about how wildlife is adapting to the urban environment.

BJ

redsturgeon
Lemon Half

Re: Planet Earth II

Postby redsturgeon » December 6th, 2016, 10:37 am

I have to agree. DA is fantastic and the photography is just mind blowingly good.

It is one of the few programmes that has me thinking about buying a super duper ultra high definition TV.

John

paulnumbers
Lemon Slice

Postby paulnumbers » December 6th, 2016, 11:11 am

bungeejumper wrote:So nice to see David Attenborough back on the job. 'National Treasure' seems too slight a compliment, somehow. And nor are we only nation that think so. My American contacts are crazy about him as well. I think it's his voice, which always carries such quiet authority.

How nice, also, to hear Attenborough standing up for good old-fashioned British values. Last Sunday we were told that a certain type of grass can grow by two feet a day. Not "600 millimetres", whatever that is. But then the penny dropped. One of the odd things about this programme is that none of the larger animals ever seem to get killed. A sure sign that the series is being bankrolled by American interests, who have to factor in the potential loss of income if their programmes are considered to be un-schoolworthy.

Great series, though. I'm really looking forward to next Sunday's edition, which is about how wildlife is adapting to the urban environment.

BJ

It's already available via some sources...

http://solarmovie.sc/movie/planet-earth ... layer-area

Paul

tieresias
Lemon Pip

Postby tieresias » December 7th, 2016, 7:26 pm

Really good first episode!

Slarti
Lemon Quarter

Postby Slarti » December 9th, 2016, 4:49 pm

bungeejumper wrote:One of the odd things about this programme is that none of the larger animals ever seem to get killed. A sure sign that the series is being bankrolled by American interests, who have to factor in the potential loss of income if their programmes are considered to be un-schoolworthy.

You certainly see large animal carcases, such as the rhino in the grasslands and the water-buffalo being mauled by the lions was a bit rough.

Slarti

bungeejumper
Lemon Half

Postby bungeejumper » December 10th, 2016, 8:34 am

Slarti wrote: You certainly see large animal carcases, such as the rhino in the grasslands and the water-buffalo being mauled by the lions was a bit rough.

Ah yes, but the important point was that it survived, so that was all right then. (In fact, as Attenborough said, with a two inch thick hide the buffalo bull was never in much danger anyway, which was presumably why it didn't expend any energy in trying to run away in the first place.)

I gather it doesn't take much to disqualify a film from being thought unsuitable for screening in US schools. (And, come to think of it, a bloody death might also impact on the ad revenues that the programme might attract on mainstream TV.) Whereas, out there in the real world, a Minnesota dentist with an assault rifle would have dispatched both the buffalo and all the lionesses in record time. Sigh.

BJ

bungeejumper
Lemon Half

Postby bungeejumper » December 10th, 2016, 9:17 am

Speaking of which, the violent giraffe fight (also US-financed, via Discovery Channel) is still one of the most extraordinary things I've ever seen on television. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fKVYAqtKBVI . I seem to remember that the loser eventually got up and recovered. Wouldn't have wanted it any other way. :D

BJ

todthedog
Lemon Slice

Postby todthedog » December 11th, 2016, 3:28 pm

The photography is fabulous but too much slowmo graphic death for me.
Could be old age but am I alone in feeling the background music a tad irritating?

Return to “The Natural World”