Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to GrahamPlatt,gpadsa,Steffers0,lansdown,Wasron, for Donating to support the site

What bird did I just see on the bird feeder?

wildlife, gardening, environment, Rural living, Pets and Vets
BullDog
Lemon Quarter

What bird did I just see on the bird feeder?

Postby BullDog » September 25th, 2022, 12:04 pm

For a few seconds this morning, amongst the flock of great tits, blue tits, there was one bird I have never seen before and I can't identify. Unfortunately it was only hanging onto the far side of the bird feeder cage for a few seconds before it flew off. As it was on the far side of the feeder it was partly obscured and I couldn't observe most of it's plumage. The bird was maybe ~50% bigger than the tits who were also on the feeder. The shape of the bird was kind of woodpecker-ish with a sharper and longer bill than say tits or robins. The throat and chest right down to the tail was a kind of light brown/orange or ochre shade. I can't find anything on the RSPB or similar websites that quite match what I saw. The nearest I found is a hawfinch, but they're rare and I think the beak is too stubby for it to be one of those. Any ideas here what I saw? Thanks.

By the way, this is in a back garden on the edge of as village backing onto farm land in the North West of England if that helps.

PS - Possibly a bullfinch but beak was wrong for that.

BD.

swill453
Lemon Half

Re: What bird did I just see on the bird feeder?

Postby swill453 » September 25th, 2022, 12:18 pm

What about a jay?

Scott.

Breelander
Lemon Quarter

Postby Breelander » September 25th, 2022, 12:22 pm

BullDog wrote:.... I can't find anything on the RSPB or similar websites that quite match what I saw...

swill453 wrote:What about a jay?Scott.

I agree, does sound like a Jay.

https://community.rspb.org.uk/ourwork/b ... about-jays

BullDog
Lemon Quarter

Postby BullDog » September 25th, 2022, 12:25 pm

swill453 wrote:What about a jay?

Scott.

Thanks. I did wonder about a jay. But the front of a jay isn't really colourful enough to match the one I saw this morning. I don't think they hang off feeder cages, but the size and the beak would be right. Last time I saw a jay it was hopping about on the lawn under the feeder. I see the odd chaffinch doing that too along with robins, dunnocks, blackbirds etc...

BullDog
Lemon Quarter

Postby BullDog » September 25th, 2022, 12:27 pm

Breelander wrote:
BullDog wrote:.... I can't find anything on the RSPB or similar websites that quite match what I saw...

swill453 wrote:What about a jay?Scott.

I agree, does sound like a Jay.

https://community.rspb.org.uk/ourwork/b ... about-jays

I tend to agree, but nowhere near orange enough at the front and I don't think they hang off bird feeder cages?

Dod101
The full Lemon

Postby Dod101 » September 25th, 2022, 12:29 pm

What about a Redstart? The jay does not have a longish beak and seems more colourful than described. One of my books shows birds from the smallest to the largest and the redstart sort of fits the description.

They do not depart these shores until October my book says.

Dod

BullDog
Lemon Quarter

Postby BullDog » September 25th, 2022, 12:50 pm

Dod101 wrote:What about a Redstart? The jay does not have a longish beak and seems more colourful than described. One of my books shows birds from the smallest to the largest and the redstart sort of fits the description.

Dod

Yes, I think Dod101 nailed it. I never heard of a redstart. But it's by far the best match for what I saw. They're most common in the North West of England and Wales, apparently. The colour for a male redstart and the beak are spot on. The habitat described at RSPB is typical around here. I don't know if htey frequently hang off bitd feeder cages, but tihs one did this morning and looked confident doing so. I'll keep a look out now, see if he comes again. Thanks.

Redstart -

Dod101
The full Lemon

Postby Dod101 » September 25th, 2022, 1:08 pm

BullDog wrote:
Dod101 wrote:What about a Redstart? The jay does not have a longish beak and seems more colourful than described. One of my books shows birds from the smallest to the largest and the redstart sort of fits the description.

Dod

Yes, I think Dod101 nailed it. I never heard of a redstart. But it's by far the best match for what I saw. They're most common in the North West of England and Wales, apparently. The colour for a male redstart and the beak are spot on. The habitat described at RSPB is typical around here. I don't know if htey frequently hang off bitd feeder cages, but tihs one did this morning and looked confident doing so. I'll keep a look out now, see if he comes again. Thanks.

Redstart -

Always interesting to see something different. I spotted a tiny Goldcrest the other day and was quite elated!

Dod

mike
Lemon Slice

Postby mike » September 25th, 2022, 1:20 pm

From time to time during the year, I get nuthatches on my feeders which match your description.

About half as big again as the tits
Long sharp bill
Ochre/orange underneath

The only thing against a nuthatch in your description would be its mingling with the tits. I always find them the most polite of visitors. They wait until the feeder is empty until going for their turn including when there are two nuthatches - the second one waits until the first is finished, even though there is a spare feeding port.

https://www.rspb.org.uk/birds-and-wildlife/wildlife-guides/bird-a-z/nuthatch/

BullDog
Lemon Quarter

Postby BullDog » September 25th, 2022, 2:01 pm

mike wrote:From time to time during the year, I get nuthatches on my feeders which match your description.

About half as big again as the tits
Long sharp bill
Ochre/orange underneath

The only thing against a nuthatch in your description would be its mingling with the tits. I always find them the most polite of visitors. They wait until the feeder is empty until going for their turn including when there are two nuthatches - the second one waits until the first is finished, even though there is a spare feeding port.

https://www.rspb.org.uk/birds-and-wildlife/wildlife-guides/bird-a-z/nuthatch/

Thanks, yes that's a definite possible. Though I think what I saw was a bit bigger. RSPB says a nuthatch is about the same size as a great tit. As there were great tits on the feeder when my mystery bird was seen, I am confident what I saw was larger. As it was a short duration sighting, I can't be certain it was a redstart, if it wasn't then perhaps it was indeed a nuthatch.

Nuthatch -

NotSure
Lemon Slice

Postby NotSure » September 25th, 2022, 2:31 pm

Was it feeding upside down? I.e. clinging on with head downwards. It does sound like a nuthatch. I've once seem two, but almost always solitary, but they always feed upside down on my feeders.

BullDog
Lemon Quarter

Postby BullDog » September 25th, 2022, 3:46 pm

NotSure wrote:Was it feeding upside down? I.e. clinging on with head downwards. It does sound like a nuthatch. I've once seem two, but almost always solitary, but they always feed upside down on my feeders.

No, it was halfway between upright and horizontal, moving more towards the horizontal as it pecked through the mesh of the feeder. Then, off it went. I can't be 100% certain, but was most certainly either a redstart or a nuthatch. On balance, I think the former. But anyway, if was just very nice to see it. I hope I see it again soon amongst the flocks of tits. Thanks.

BD

Return to “The Natural World”