Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to bruncher,niord,gvonge,Shelford,GrahamPlatt, for Donating to support the site

Red Kite

wildlife, gardening, environment, Rural living, Pets and Vets
XFool
The full Lemon

Red Kite

Postby XFool » February 17th, 2023, 3:12 pm

Now in North London? Spied in the sky while on an allotment yesterday.

Makes a change from the parakeets! :)

bungeejumper
Lemon Half

Re: Red Kite

Postby bungeejumper » February 17th, 2023, 3:55 pm

I must admit that the map at https://londonist.com/london/maps/red-kites-london surprised me, but only because it has so very few kites being recorded in the southern Chilterns. Whereas, as any fule kno, they exist in their marauding thousands. My old stamping grounds around High Wycombe, Amersham and all points north are absolutely rammed with them. But those concentrations around Heathrow are a new one on me. :)

You never forget the day when the wazzock driving along the M40 in front of you suddenly slams on the brakes because he's spotted his very first kite and he doesn't mind being rear-ended by a truck for the fatal privilege. Whereas the flipping things are ten a penny in every hedgerow in the vicinity. They do enjoy a wheelie bin feast, which might be why they're moving in on Finchley and Wembley.

Thrilling beasties, and graceful too. But out here in West Wilts, it's the ravens that really make me stop and pay attention!

BJ

Mike4
Lemon Half

Postby Mike4 » February 17th, 2023, 9:27 pm

bungeejumper wrote:I must admit that the map at https://londonist.com/london/maps/red-kites-london surprised me, but only because it has so very few kites being recorded in the southern Chilterns. Whereas, as any fule kno, they exist in their marauding thousands. My old stamping grounds around High Wycombe, Amersham and all points north are absolutely rammed with them. But those concentrations around Heathrow are a new one on me. :)

You never forget the day when the wazzock driving along the M40 in front of you suddenly slams on the brakes because he's spotted his very first kite and he doesn't mind being rear-ended by a truck for the fatal privilege. Whereas the flipping things are ten a penny in every hedgerow in the vicinity. They do enjoy a wheelie bin feast, which might be why they're moving in on Finchley and Wembley.

Thrilling beasties, and graceful too. But out here in West Wilts, it's the ravens that really make me stop and pay attention!

BJ

Ravens?

Intriguing as recently I keep seeing unusually large crows flying around here (east Wilts). Very black and almost as big as buzzards and with a similar solid buzzard-like 'body language' in the air. (Red kites have completely different 'floppy' body language when flying and are instantly distinguishable from buzzards.)

Might these be ravens?

bungeejumper
Lemon Half

Postby bungeejumper » February 18th, 2023, 8:48 am

Mike4 wrote:Ravens?

Intriguing as recently I keep seeing unusually large crows flying around here (east Wilts). Very black and almost as big as buzzards and with a similar solid buzzard-like 'body language' in the air. (Red kites have completely different 'floppy' body language when flying and are instantly distinguishable from buzzards.)

Might these be ravens?

Unexpectedly large - at least a four foot wingspan, often five. A huge thick beak that could probably crack a brazil nut if it ever decided to try. Claws that could certainly do a lot of damage. The rooks don't like them very much. Mind you, that's probably because ravens will raid their nests. :D

Ravens have a kind of diamond shaped tail, which is distinctive. But mostly it's the noise they make while flying that attracts the attention. They grunt softly like flying pigs!

Anyway, my apologies to XFool for the topic hijack. :(

BJ

Return to “The Natural World”