Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to Rhyd6,eyeball08,Wondergirly,bofh,johnstevens77, for Donating to support the site

Aberdeen irruption

wildlife, gardening, environment, Rural living, Pets and Vets
argoal
2 Lemon pips

Aberdeen irruption

Postby argoal » November 12th, 2016, 10:55 pm

Spotted around 100 waxwings out and about in Aberdeen today gorging themselves on the plentiful berries we have this year.

Absolutely beautiful birds, very distinctive due to the crest so easy to identify once you have seen them once.

Hopefully they will stick around for a while.

p.s. if you are confused about the post title, a congregation of waxwings is apparently called an irruption.

Clariman
Lemon Quarter

Re: Aberdeen irruption (Waxwings)

Postby Clariman » November 14th, 2016, 9:03 am

Lucky you!

I haven't seen them for years. We have loads of berries too at the moment, which are attracting lots of tits and goldfinches. Maybe we might see some waxwings this year!

C

argoal
2 Lemon pips

Re: Aberdeen irruption (Waxwings)

Postby argoal » November 14th, 2016, 9:34 am

Cheers Clariman,

It is around 10 years since I last saw them in Aberdeen but I know they at least pass through each winter and always keep one eye out.

The last time I saw them was in the company board room which looked out onto a tree canopy about 15 feet away. It was a smaller group of about 20 birds that time but I spent most of the meeting ignoring what was going on in the room and concentrating on what was going on outside. I don't think anyone else in the meeting even noticed them.

Return to “The Natural World”