Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva,scotia,Anonymous,Cornytiv34, for Donating to support the site

Apprentice

Reviews, favourites and suggestions
bitstrange

Apprentice

Postby bitstrange » December 16th, 2016, 12:39 pm

Hi all, so what do people think, who will win this year's Apprentice?

I'm really torn this year. The bloke is just so dull and boring, has clearly been struggling with his business for years and doesn't seem to have much of a plan for how to grow it and make money from it. The woman is just really whiny and there's just something about her demeanour that means nobody seems to respect her. Her business sounds like it's been more successful, but she's obviously inexperienced in running anything that's greater than her and her boyfriend/employee.

In the past, Sugar seems to have taken a punt on characters with a bit of spark, who remind him of himself, but neither candidate seems to tick that box this year. I wonder if he might go for the bloke on the basis that at least it's a business that Sugar's familiar with, so he might have some ideas for how it can be steered towards success.

Any other views?

redsturgeon
Lemon Half

Re: Apprentice

Postby redsturgeon » December 16th, 2016, 12:46 pm

Her business sounds like it's been more successful, but she's obviously inexperienced in running anything that's greater than her and her boyfriend/employee.

Unlike the guys who sits in his bedroom and draws cheap tat to sell on the internet. ;)

I wonder if he might go for the bloke on the basis that at least it's a business that Sugar's familiar with, so he might have some ideas for how it can be steered towards success.

I thought that he has to go with whoever wins the last task.

John

bitstrange

Postby bitstrange » December 16th, 2016, 12:50 pm

redsturgeon wrote:

I thought that he has to go with whoever wins the last task.

John

What? I don't think that's ever been the case. He just decides who he wants to go into business with (or who he wanted to employ, in the olden days)...

Clitheroekid
Lemon Quarter

Postby Clitheroekid » December 17th, 2016, 9:28 pm

It's frankly difficult to imagine why he would want either of the surviving candidates. The only reason they're there at all is that the other lot were even worse.

Throughout the whole series I've been astonished at just how stupid, self-deluded and incompetent this lot have been. I watched the interview stage with incredulity, as despite the fact these were supposedly the `best' of the candidates it became embarrassingly clear that not one of them seemed to have a clue about how to run a business at all. They were unable to answer the most obvious questions about their own businesses, and it's impossible to imagine anyone with more than one brain cell investing £25 with them, let alone £250,000.

I presume that under the rules one of these muppets has to get the cash, but if I were Lord S I'd simply give them the cheque and tell them to womble off!

Dod1010
Lemon Quarter

Postby Dod1010 » December 18th, 2016, 8:20 am

I agree with Clitheroekid

The standard this year was very poor to the extent that I wonder if the series has not outlived its original idea. I have not even watched all of the series because it was downright boring,

FWIW I think the girl will probably be given the money but only because she is slightly better than the useless fellow. And she is marginally better looking.

Clariman
Lemon Quarter

Postby Clariman » December 19th, 2016, 10:39 am

Don't get too worked up about it :) . The Apprentice is an entertainment show and has little to do with real world business. It has been this way for years, but a fun watch nevertheless. My only worry is that folk really do think this is how to do business.

simoan
Lemon Quarter

Postby simoan » December 19th, 2016, 12:13 pm

Clariman wrote:Don't get too worked up about it :) . The Apprentice is an entertainment show and has little to do with real world business. It has been this way for years, but a fun watch nevertheless. My only worry is that folk really do think this is how to do business.

I agree and some weeks it's not even particularly entertaining either. However, I can't help thinking that the result of the final was a sign of the real world we live in. I am sure this time last year the bloke would have won, but with the depreciation of sterling against the dollar, making cheap plastic tat in China and importing it is not as lucrative as it was. So a UK based, high margin business with relatively low cost manufacturing in the back end of Wales has to be the better bet!

All the best, Si

poundcoin
Lemon Slice

Postby poundcoin » December 19th, 2016, 1:00 pm

I think she will do well .
Whilst I personally wouldn't pay £3 for a slice of cake , with the right packaging and branding and the manufacturing outsourced to some large bakery , no tooling costs or patents to worry about .
All she and Sir Alan have to do is get the distribution and with his contacts.......
I used to retail novelty gifts for many years and it was always difficult to get the timing right without being left with a ton of stock when the craze died .

pottager

Postby pottager » December 19th, 2016, 4:56 pm

A good final I thought with a fair mixture of dumb and smart moments. I tipped Alana from very early on so pretty pleased with that. Ridiculouslyrichbyalana.com was registered on 15 December and looks like it's got Alana's address and mobile phone number all over it!

zico
Lemon Quarter

Postby zico » December 19th, 2016, 8:23 pm

I thought Alana stood out this year as being smart and reasonable, but was in real danger of being trampled underfoot in the earlier weeks by noisier and dumber people. Courtney has been incredibly lack-lustre in the last few weeks and I thought he was the weakest ever finalist, but he upped his game for the final, helped massively by the presentation coach (wonder whose idea that was?)

In the end, the final was a lot closer than I expected as they both had decent ideas. However, Alana now has the publicity from her win, and it'll be a nice steady earner for Lord Sugar, with the potential to do really well if her brand takes off. I was confident her stuff was really good, perhaps showing my gullibility, as my opinion is based on various people on TV saying "Alana's stuff is really tasty"! If I saw it in a supermarket or cafe, I'd definitely give it a try.

pottager

Postby pottager » December 19th, 2016, 9:13 pm

pottager wrote:Ridiculouslyrichbyalana.com was registered on 15 December

Correction - registered 4 November and updated 15 December. Current website is https://www.narnascakes.co.uk/

LadyGagarin
2 Lemon pips

Postby LadyGagarin » December 19th, 2016, 9:36 pm

I am so glad I didn't put money on this year's Apprentice - as I was tempted earlier on to back Grainne.

Return to “Music, Theatre, TV and Film”