Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva,scotia,Anonymous,Cornytiv34, for Donating to support the site

Passengers

Reviews, favourites and suggestions
zico
Lemon Quarter

Passengers

Postby zico » December 22nd, 2016, 12:26 pm

8/10.

Really enjoyed this. Yet another intelligent sci-fi film of which there have been at least 3 this year - The Martian, Arrival and now this.
It cobbles together quite a few bits of plots from other films, but has its own story - basically "What's the worst thing that could happen to you and how would/should you deal with it?"

It's set on a spaceship en-route to a distant colony with really impressive visuals, but the heart of the film is all about big moral choices, human frailty and not forgetting the Meaning of Life, though the film loses its nerve (a lot) about dealing with these issues, and there are also quite a few big-budget action sequences. Jennifer Lawrence is my favourite actress and is always excellent, but Chris Pratt is the real star of the movie.
There are quite a few sly and mildly amusing digs at customer service and class distinctions throughout the film.

The film gets you empathising (if not agreeing) with the two main characters. Martin Sheen does a good turn as an android barman who is programmed to say comforting and apparently wise things that people want to hear even though he doesn't care about them at all, so obviously he can simply dust off his Tony Blair character.

This is a film that people could have very different views about what kind of movie this is depending on their take on the moral dilemmas (including whether these actually exist). Many film critics say it's misogynist and you can certainly see where they are coming from. Could they have reversed the sexes of the two main characters? Possibly, but I think that would have given the audience fewer possible responses to how they felt about the situation.

Disappointing ending, but it held my interest up to then.

Return to “Music, Theatre, TV and Film”