Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to Rhyd6,eyeball08,Wondergirly,bofh,johnstevens77, for Donating to support the site

Ethel and Ernest

Reviews, favourites and suggestions
oldapple
2 Lemon pips

Ethel and Ernest

Postby oldapple » December 28th, 2016, 10:20 pm

For me, this was the best film I've seen in a long,long time, telling the story of Raymond Briggs' parents - and the times and events they lived through - from their first meeting in 1928 until 1971 when they both died. I think I know a few lemonfools who would enjoy this charming film. It's on BBC1 iplayer now and it's one for all the family.

redsturgeon
Lemon Half

Re: Ethel and Ernest

Postby redsturgeon » December 28th, 2016, 10:57 pm

oldapple wrote:For me, this was the best film I've seen in a long,long time, telling the story of Raymond Briggs' parents - and the times and events they lived through - from their first meeting in 1928 until 1971 when they both died. I think I know a few lemonfools who would enjoy this charming film. It's on BBC1 iplayer now and it's one for all the family.

Yes, very poignant, I enjoyed it. I am a great fan of Raymond Briggs and they were many little snatches throughout of triggers for his other works.

John

Redmires
Lemon Slice

Postby Redmires » December 29th, 2016, 1:09 am

Agreed - a superb piece of work that comes close to the "Snowman" as one of my all time favourite animations. I'm a sucker for animation, even watching "Frozen" for the first time the other day. Of course, Disney isn't in the same league as a Raymond Briggs production ;)

Stonge
Lemon Slice

Postby Stonge » December 29th, 2016, 8:50 am

I almost didn't watch it but it was beautifully done and lovely, a cultural masterpiece.

Clitheroekid
Lemon Quarter

Postby Clitheroekid » January 1st, 2017, 10:42 pm

Another strong recommendation from me. I watched it on iPlayer, and thought it was very poignant, partly because it recalled a way of life that I half-remembered from my childhood, and which has now all but vanished.

But it also illustrated the insanity of the London housing market over the past few years. Ethel and Ernest paid £825 for the house, which was in Ashen Grove, Wimbledon. Ernest was earning 3 guineas a week at the time as a milkman, and, of course, Ethel didn't work, so the house was around 5 times his income.

That same house would probably now sell for over £1m - http://www.rightmove.co.uk/house-prices ... ry=england - and I don't know of many milkmen (or as I assume they are now virtually extinct, delivery drivers generally) who are earning around £200,000 a year.

In fact the poor sods who drive for Amazon / Deliveroo and the rest of them probably don't earn a fifth of that.

It's always been a mystery to me how and why London suddenly detached itself from the rest of the country and became a place that ordinary people like Ethel and Ernest could no longer afford to live in. I know that some of it is due to the overpaid muppets in financial services and that there's some foreign purchasing, but surely that can only account for a small proportion of the upper end. It doesn't explain how a three bed semi has come to be `worth' £1m.

Sorry to have a bit of a rant in a post about a film, but it did sadden me when watching it to contemplate just how comprehensively good and decent people like this have been driven out of their own capital city.

nimnarb
Lemon Quarter

Postby nimnarb » January 3rd, 2017, 2:24 am

Absolutely brilliant, a masterpiece in fact.

jackdaww
Lemon Quarter

Postby jackdaww » January 4th, 2017, 6:14 pm

wonderful , moving and a delight .

many younger people may not realise what it was actually like back then.

the bombing was real , air raid shelters and steel tables , hardly any cars about , children evacuated.

the arrival of television , then cars for most families.

loneliness after a partners passing .

there was dementia then of course , no-one spoke of it , and end of life scenes very sad , few people have a good death even now.

a valuable and thought provoking creation.

Return to “Music, Theatre, TV and Film”