Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva,scotia,Anonymous,Cornytiv34, for Donating to support the site

For Amazon Prime users

Reviews, favourites and suggestions
redsturgeon
Lemon Half

For Amazon Prime users

Postby redsturgeon » January 17th, 2017, 10:17 am

I got Amazon Prime mostly for The Grand Tour which has been a bit of the curates egg to be honest but I have been impressed by some of the other offerings. I have watched and enjoyed:

The Man in the High Castle. A very enjoyable two seasons based on the Phillip k Dick classic where the USA is taken over by the Nazis and Japan after losing WW2. A fascinating look at everyday things in the US in the early 60s as they might have been under Nazi/Japanese rule and a gripping resistance type drama with some parallel multiverse ideas woven in.

The Vikings. I have watched 3 out of the four seasons and if you like a historical romp with everything plus the kitchen sink thrown in then this is for you. Loosely based on the historical saga of Radnor Lothbrok and with more than a passing nod to actual historical events, this is exciting TV in every way. I learned stuff I didn't know about the Viking way of life, their gods and things like the Viking raid on Paris which I had no idea about. An average episode will have, domestic Viking life, a battle or two, a massacre, a pagan feast, romance, childbirth, death, torture, sex all served up at a breathless pace with Abba type accents. Not for the faint hearted!

Goliath. One season. Starring Billy Bob Thornton who won a Golden Globe for this, a down at heel lawyer fights against the big company in solving a difficult case and winning back his dignity in the process. Well acted and gripping if you like the courtroom/lawyer drama stuff, I do.

Sneaky Pete. One season of an extended Sting type con with a parallel story of our con artist become the cuckoo in the nest of a dysfunctional family by taking over the identity of a long lost cousin. In fact this one intrigued me the most and was a real binge watching feast for me over a rainy weekend. A great villain played by Bryan Cranston from Breaking Bad who also directed and produced this one. I could put it down the TV equivalent of the page turner!

So all in all I feel I have definitely had my money's worth so far and would recommend any of the above as quality entertainment.

John

UncleIan
Lemon Slice

Re: For Amazon Prime users

Postby UncleIan » January 17th, 2017, 10:42 am

redsturgeon wrote:The Man in the High Castle. A very enjoyable two seasons based on the Phillip k Dick classic where the USA is taken over by the Nazis and Japan after losing WW2. A fascinating look at everyday things in the US in the early 60s as they might have been under Nazi/Japanese rule and a gripping resistance type drama with some parallel multiverse ideas woven in.

I'm halfway through the second season and I am just about keeping my head around it. Confusing, but good.

redsturgeon wrote:The Vikings....An average episode will have, domestic Viking life, a battle or two, a massacre, a pagan feast, romance, childbirth, death, torture, sex all served up at a breathless pace with Abba type accents. Not for the faint hearted!

If you like that, you'll probably like Black Sails, Pirates of the Caribbean on Crack, and in a strip club. Not subtle, but also looks great. Pirates, swearing, drinking, fights, naval battles, sex, nudity, what's not to like?

redsturgeon
Lemon Half

Postby redsturgeon » January 17th, 2017, 10:49 am

If you like that, you'll probably like Black Sails, Pirates of the Caribbean on Crack, and in a strip club. Not subtle, but also looks great. Pirates, swearing, drinking, fights, naval battles, sex, nudity, what's not to like?

Yes I have started watching that too.

John

kempiejon
Lemon Quarter

Postby kempiejon » January 17th, 2017, 12:38 pm

I have put quite some time into amazon prime TV shows. Black Sails and Man in the High Castle wasn't holding my attention, neither did Mr Robot after season 1. I gave up on Hand of God and Brain Dead. When an episode ended I was not compelled to watch just one more and there's lots of options. Goliath, excellent, Rogue is pretty good, Ray Donovan at series three is still compelling, Bosch was good too. I liked The Following but occasionally the gore fest gets a bit out of hand and implausable. I'm not sure the final season was as compelling as the first two.
For fun there's Life in Pieces, light and humorous, for dark funny I offer the cancer, bereavement dysfunctional auto-bio-pic of One Mississippi, but it's not for everyone. I also like Please Like Me and Good Girls Revolt. The story of home computing and the web portrayed in Halt and Catch Fire is best if you understand some of the real-life events they dramatise.
I can't imagine the Grand Tour is for me though.

peterh
2 Lemon pips

Postby peterh » February 10th, 2017, 7:56 pm

I'm watching series 1 of 'The Americans' - and enjoying it. A cold war 80's story about a couple who are Russian spies living in Washington.

Also on my watchlist is ''The Man in the High Castle'. Related, but slightly off topic, I'm looking forward to SS-GB which starts on the BBC in a week or so.

Return to “Music, Theatre, TV and Film”