Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to Rhyd6,eyeball08,Wondergirly,bofh,johnstevens77, for Donating to support the site

Prometheus

Reviews, favourites and suggestions
robbelg
Lemon Slice

Prometheus

Postby robbelg » January 20th, 2017, 11:19 am

Prometheus

On Film 4 last night

I knew the reviews were bad when it came out but...

What a pile of of steaming incoherent £$%^&

I was going to say it was full of plot holes but that would overstate how much plot there was.

Its a massive collection of holes held together by a thin skein of references to the original Alien movie.

I've tried to describe some of the bigger stupidities but that requires explaining the surrounding stupidities,its like trying to get hold of an alien shapeshifting blob of jelly and nail it to a wall.

A few of the simpler ones;

A series of keystrokes on a complex panel to shut an airlock in an emergency

I know we're scientists on a trillion dollar expedition but its dark and scary we're going back to the ship - Oh look we forgot to go back to the ship and now we're left behind

Every spaceship should have a flamethrower handy - I wonder how many they have on the ISS.

I'm going to examine an alien head - a gauze surgical mask will be plenty of protection.

Fully automated medical pod - for men only.

Ok rant mostly over

In conclusion about as logical and scary as Abbot and Costello Vs The Mummy

Itsallaguess
Lemon Half

Re: Prometheus

Postby Itsallaguess » January 20th, 2017, 1:30 pm

robbelg wrote:
What a pile of of steaming incoherent £$%^&

I'm not convinced it's worthy of such high praise....

I'm a huge film fan, and a huge Alien/Aliens fan, and Prometheus was one of the biggest let-downs of my adult life.

We can't talk about plot-holes and unbelievable situations without asking why a top biologist would be so keen, once he's encountered an alien snake, that he starts trying to pet it like a 5 year old.....

Anyhow, don't get me started.....please....

Itsallaguess

Hallucigenia
Lemon Quarter

Postby Hallucigenia » January 20th, 2017, 5:58 pm

robbelg wrote:Prometheus
Every spaceship should have a flamethrower handy - I wonder how many they have on the ISS.

That's a bit like the original Alien having an intergalactic spaceship of the future with a CCTV system out of a 1970s corner shop. Which it probably was. I know that grainy B&W helps tension, and the ship is meant to have been assembled from a junkyard, but did they really not think about how CCTV might evolve within 40 years, let alone centuries?

bionichamster
Lemon Slice

Postby bionichamster » February 6th, 2017, 10:04 pm

Itsallaguess wrote:We can't talk about plot-holes and unbelievable situations without asking why a top biologist would be so keen, once he's encountered an alien snake, that he starts trying to pet it like a 5 year old.....

Well, speaking as a barely average (according to Researchgate's incessant e-mails) biologist I'd have to concur. In fact the sheer unprofessionalism of the 'scientists' of all disciplines is pretty flabbergasting. They are like first year students on a field trip rather than seasoned professionals on a once in a lifetime ground-breaking research opportunity.

Also, why, when you are selecting a small unreplceable crew for a mission taking place a hundred light years away from assistance and costing a trillion dollars would you pick someone as clearly unstable, and difficult to get along with as that redhaired geologist, one would have imagined that psychological profiling techniques might have improved somewhat 100 years from now.

Frankly, little of it made sense, but although I was dissapointed at the missed opportunity the film afforded I still sort of want to know what happens next even though I'm beyond caring 'why' it might be happening.

BH

Return to “Music, Theatre, TV and Film”