Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to Shelford,GrahamPlatt,gpadsa,Steffers0,lansdown, for Donating to support the site

Songs about English place names

Reviews, favourites and suggestions
gvonge
Lemon Pip

Re: Songs about English place names

Postby gvonge » November 14th, 2023, 5:27 pm

Charlottesquare
Lemon Quarter

Postby Charlottesquare » November 14th, 2023, 5:30 pm

Lootman wrote:
Charlottesquare wrote:Do the ones they stole from us then become cooler within the UK as the USA now has them, like Rochester?

Ah, but which Rochester? There is probably a Rochester in many States. But the two main ones I know of are Rochester, Minnesota (home of the Mayo Clinic) and Rochester, NY, home of Eastman-Kodak and Susan B. Anthony.

I have not been to either, but the first is a nice place and the latter is not, I have heard.

The more romantic sounding places often have non-English roots such as American Indian (Weehawken, Ho-Ho-Kus), Spanish (Santa Fe, San Jose) or French (Baton Rouge, Fond-du-Lac).

Any songs about Milton Keynes? Bletchley on my mind? Midnight train to Bletchley?

MK though is a great place, where else could Milton Friedman and JM Keynes be joined together.

kempiejon
Lemon Quarter

Postby kempiejon » November 14th, 2023, 5:33 pm

Paul Weller did a song about Milton Keynes in his difficult Style Council phase.

C'mon google https://www.google.com/search?q=Milton+ ... e&ie=UTF-8

CryptoPlankton
Lemon Slice

Postby CryptoPlankton » November 14th, 2023, 5:34 pm

Lootman wrote:Any songs about Milton Keynes? Bletchley on my mind? Midnight train to Bletchley?

"Come to Milton Keynes" by the Style Council. Though it was far from a romantic view of the place!

CP (Born near enough to be pushed around Bletchley Park in a pram, but gone before MK was founded.)

Edit: 2 posts about it while I was writing - oh well...

Lootman
The full Lemon

Postby Lootman » November 14th, 2023, 7:15 pm

CryptoPlankton wrote:
Lootman wrote:Any songs about Milton Keynes? Bletchley on my mind? Midnight train to Bletchley?

"Come to Milton Keynes" by the Style Council. Though it was far from a romantic view of the place!

CP (Born near enough to be pushed around Bletchley Park in a pram, but gone before MK was founded.)

kempiejon wrote:Paul Weller did a song about Milton Keynes in his difficult Style Council phase.

Very good, who'd have thunk it?

gvonge wrote:Elton John - Grimsby

I guess if you can have a song about Grimsby then you can have a song about anywhere and romanticise any place.

Barnsley or Doncaster, anyone?

servodude
Lemon Half

Postby servodude » November 14th, 2023, 10:57 pm

Lootman wrote:
Charlottesquare wrote:Do the ones they stole from us then become cooler within the UK as the USA now has them, like Rochester?

Ah, but which Rochester? There is probably a Rochester in many States. But the two main ones I know of are Rochester, Minnesota (home of the Mayo Clinic) and Rochester, NY, home of Eastman-Kodak and Susan B. Anthony.

I have not been to either, but the first is a nice place and the latter is not, I have heard.

The more romantic sounding places often have non-English roots such as American Indian (Weehawken, Ho-Ho-Kus), Spanish (Santa Fe, San Jose) or French (Baton Rouge, Fond-du-Lac).

Any songs about Milton Keynes? Bletchley on my mind? Midnight train to Bletchley?

The Style Council did Come to Milton Keynes https://youtu.be/eweq1pnVOF0?feature=shared
but Paul doesn't exactly mention the place other than in a part of a pun

servodude
Lemon Half

Postby servodude » November 14th, 2023, 11:22 pm

servodude wrote:
Lootman wrote:Ah, but which Rochester? There is probably a Rochester in many States. But the two main ones I know of are Rochester, Minnesota (home of the Mayo Clinic) and Rochester, NY, home of Eastman-Kodak and Susan B. Anthony.

The Style Council did Come to Milton Keynes https://youtu.be/eweq1pnVOF0?feature=shared
but Paul doesn't exactly mention the place other than in a part of a pun

Look at me missing the second page with all the Style Council mentions already!?

Return to “Music, Theatre, TV and Film”