Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to GrahamPlatt,gpadsa,Steffers0,lansdown,Wasron, for Donating to support the site

Are UK House Prices about to peak?

including Budgets
BullDog
Lemon Quarter

Re: Are UK House Prices about to peak?

Postby BullDog » September 6th, 2022, 2:52 pm

absolutezero wrote:
tjh290633 wrote:
absolutezero wrote:
tjh290633 wrote:
absolutezero wrote:If the share price keeps falling and then it pays you 16% of that a year, with the 16% drop in the share price plus the falling price, it doesn't take long to make the shares worth a hell of a lot less.

The answer lies in the free cash flow.

TJH

And they will have less of that as house prices fall.

Not necessarily, as it is the value of land that varies, not the cost of building a house on it. Just compare the price of houses with the costs of rebuilding them.

TJH

Cost of building a house will rise as the raw materials rise in price. Squeeze those profits
I saw something the other day that said the cost of manufacturing tiles in Spain has risen by over 1000% (not a typo)

Time to bring tile manufacturing back to the UK and power the kilns with wind power or wind power generated hydrogen?

absolutezero
Lemon Quarter

Postby absolutezero » September 6th, 2022, 3:34 pm

BullDog wrote:Time to bring tile manufacturing back to the UK and power the kilns with wind power or wind power generated hydrogen?

lol

scrumpyjack
Lemon Quarter

Postby scrumpyjack » September 6th, 2022, 4:18 pm

Lanark wrote:
ReformedCharacter wrote: How do you feel about communism? That would surely address the inter-generational selfishness that you ascribe to those who wish to help their children.

be careful what you wish for, a lot of under 30's are quite partial to communist ideas.

Fortunately most of them grow up eventually :D

1nvest
Lemon Quarter

Postby 1nvest » September 27th, 2022, 8:37 pm

BullDog wrote:I think the local estate agents around here haven't got the memo yet. Prices seem to have hit an even more insane high. A newly built bungalow no bigger than most double garages that has just been built on a bit of land hacked off a garden has just gone on sale for £450,000. I realise that would be dirt cheap for some parts. But around here maybe 18 months ago, that kind of money would have bought a good 4 bed detached house with a garage of similar size to this bungalow.

Owning a house is quite a good inflation hedge. Whilst higher interest rates may lower demand (first time buyers), most homes are mortgage free (around two-thirds). With a declining Pound that can also attract foreign (cash) buyers.

vand
Lemon Slice

Postby vand » November 2nd, 2022, 8:15 am

Month on month falls now showing up in the HP index data.

We are well past the peak, and it makes sense too wth higher borrowing costs and falling real wages strangling the market.

https://amp.theguardian.com/money/2022/ ... et-october

vand
Lemon Slice

Postby vand » November 2nd, 2022, 8:21 am

To put the bull argument forward, three things still keeping the market afloat:

Good labour market
Rising rents
Weak GBP making UK assets more attractive to foreign buyers - though personally I don't weigh this factor very highly

TUK020
Lemon Quarter

Postby TUK020 » November 2nd, 2022, 6:32 pm

Labour market tends to lag the economic cycle.
Monetary policy throttles economic activity ->companies contract, lay off -> mortgage defaults -. repossessions - > collapsing house prices.

A more important question than whether house prices have peaked is how much of a drop is already in the pipeline?

vand
Lemon Slice

Postby vand » November 2nd, 2022, 7:19 pm

TUK020 wrote:Labour market tends to lag the economic cycle.
Monetary policy throttles economic activity ->companies contract, lay off -> mortgage defaults -. repossessions - > collapsing house prices.

A more important question than whether house prices have peaked is how much of a drop is already in the pipeline?

I do agree with this, but I'm also of the opinion that we will not see the unemployment levels we have seen in past downturns, due to technology increasing the flexibility of labour, and also the skill based nature of much of the economy today.

Despite the current economic soft patch the labour market remains remarkably buoyant, wth the number of job openings greater than the number of unemployed, so I would say that you have to give it the benefit of the doubt until the employment numbers start to say otherwise.

Mike4
Lemon Half

Postby Mike4 » November 2nd, 2022, 9:58 pm

My estimate is 25% baked in.

And a corresponding rents rise of maybe 20%.

1nvest
Lemon Quarter

Postby 1nvest » November 2nd, 2022, 10:45 pm

vand wrote:but I'm also of the opinion that we will not see the unemployment levels we have seen in past downturns, due to technology increasing the flexibility of labour

High unemployment was fixed by the Tories - by the introduction of zero hour contracts.

1M unemployed
5M on Universal Credits i.e. not working a real job that pays them enough to live on
30M workforce
20% 'under-employed' and receiving state (taxpayers) aid

IIRC only around a third of houses are mortgaged, there's a large proportion of outright owned properties, such that the housing market is relatively resilient.

servodude
Lemon Half

Postby servodude » November 2nd, 2022, 10:45 pm

Mike4 wrote:

Are you predicting any hare-brained gubmint interventions to either of those?

ursaminortaur
Lemon Half

Postby ursaminortaur » November 2nd, 2022, 11:01 pm

servodude wrote:
Mike4 wrote:

If the cost of living crisis is making purchasing a house unaffordable such that house prices are going to fall by 25% then how on earth would people be able to afford 20% higher rents ?

Lootman
The full Lemon

Postby Lootman » November 2nd, 2022, 11:05 pm

ursaminortaur wrote:If the cost of living crisis is making purchasing a house unaffordable such that house prices are going to fall by 25% then how on earth would people be able to afford 20% higher rents ?

Landlords are usually conscious of the rental yield on a housing unit. This is the annual rent expressed as a percentage of the market value of the property.

In my time as a landlord that varied between about 5% and 10%, so clearly the ratio between the two can vary, to the point where one may go up whilst the other goes down. They are different markets and the rent I can get is not necessarily related to my costs, but only to market demand.

However in one case I got an annual rent that was 20 times the annual income in that area. Location, location, location!

servodude
Lemon Half

Postby servodude » November 2nd, 2022, 11:19 pm

ursaminortaur wrote:
servodude wrote:
Mike4 wrote:

If the cost of living crisis is making purchasing a house unaffordable such that house prices are going to fall by 25% then how on earth would people be able to afford 20% higher rents ?

I think Mike's figures are not far off what I expect if the market were able to bear them - but I don't think it can.. for pretty much exactly the reason you've raised.
The "cost of living crisis" and things like markets losing confidence in those managing stuff don't hit everything evenly.
I can see one possible path where a Govt might step in to buy stock for use as social housing (or as a partial hedge because housing benefit claims are going up considerably)
- or they could legislate for abbeyance to prevent defaults leading to repossessions
- or some other "thing"
but I really doubt they're going to sit back and watch

Mike4
Lemon Half

Postby Mike4 » November 3rd, 2022, 7:13 am

servodude wrote:
ursaminortaur wrote:
servodude wrote:
Mike4 wrote:

I think Mike's figures are not far off what I expect if the market were able to bear them - but I don't think it can.. for pretty much exactly the reason you've raised.
The "cost of living crisis" and things like markets losing confidence in those managing stuff don't hit everything evenly.
I can see one possible path where a Govt might step in to buy stock for use as social housing (or as a partial hedge because housing benefit claims are going up considerably)
- or they could legislate for abbeyance to prevent defaults leading to repossessions
- or some other "thing"

Well I notice no-one has asked the obvious question, over what timescale am I making my forecast?

Well the property market moves glacially slowly so I'm imagining it will take about three years for my suggested 25% fall to occur.

Similarly the rent rise. In three years I think they will have risen by about 20%. And given inflation is currently 10% and I see no reason for that to come back under control for at least three years, just a 20% rise in rents over three years equates to a fall of approx 10% in real terms.

servodude
Lemon Half

Postby servodude » November 3rd, 2022, 7:28 am

Mike4 wrote:
servodude wrote:
ursaminortaur wrote:
servodude wrote:
Mike4 wrote:

- or some other "thing"

Well I notice no-one has asked the obvious question, over what timescale am I making my forecast?

Well the property market moves glacially slowly so I'm imagining it will take about three years for my suggested 25% fall to occur.

Similarly the rent rise. In three years I think they will have risen by about 20%. And given inflation is currently 10% and I see no reason for that to come back under control for at least three years, just a 20% rise in rents over three years equates to a fall of approx 10% in real terms.

Fairy nuff.
I don't disagree with the time scales (and I did mean to ask earlier :roll: ) or amounts, but I think that the drop throughout that period might not be smooth (not constant, linear or continuous - there could well be abrupt changes)
Can you see the (or next) gubmint "taking steps"?
Or can you see them fronting it out?

tjh290633
Lemon Half

Postby tjh290633 » November 3rd, 2022, 9:16 am

Mike4 wrote:

Thinking back to the 1970s, House prices round here* did not fall, but stayed level, while inflation caught up with them. There waqs a big rise then a levelling off, but no great fall.

TJH

*Mid Sussex

TUK020
Lemon Quarter

Postby TUK020 » November 3rd, 2022, 9:29 am

tjh290633 wrote:
Mike4 wrote:

Thinking back to the 1970s, House prices round here* did not fall, but stayed level, while inflation caught up with them. There waqs a big rise then a levelling off, but no great fall.

TJH

*Mid Sussex

In housing 'crashes', prices tend to be sticky in nominal terms, as people become reluctant to move and realise negative equity. Transactions tend to drop. Higher inflation will clear the market faster. A 3 year 'flat in nominal terms' and significant inflation (25% over 3 years) outcome seems quite plausible.

gryffron
Lemon Quarter

Postby gryffron » November 3rd, 2022, 9:43 am

1nvest wrote:High unemployment was fixed by the Tories - by the introduction of zero hour contracts.

The Tories didn’t invent zero hours contracts, merely tweaked the benefits system to make them more attractive. Under the old system temporary/flexible hours were VERY unattractive to the unemployed, as your benefits would be frozen and take weeks to catch up. Which meant it was more appealing to remain totally unemployed. Not good!

Though I agree the Tories/coalition have used the benefits system to massage “unemployment” figures. E.g. The benefits cap only applies to the truly “unemployed”. Work 16 hours per weeek and you can get more benefits, and now you’re not “unemployed”. But IMO this is a good change. People working a bit is better than them not working at all. Better for society, govt figures, and the individuals involved. The govt have proved this social engineering works. The balance of hours could now be tweaked some more to encourage the under-employed to work a bit more.

Gryff

Mike4
Lemon Half

Postby Mike4 » November 3rd, 2022, 10:42 am

TUK020 wrote:
tjh290633 wrote:
Mike4 wrote:

TJH

*Mid Sussex

In housing 'crashes', prices tend to be sticky in nominal terms, as people become reluctant to move and realise negative equity. Transactions tend to drop. Higher inflation will clear the market faster. A 3 year 'flat in nominal terms' and significant inflation (25% over 3 years) outcome seems quite plausible.

This is true, and suggests my 25% fall won't happen. On the other hand in the 92 crash prices slid a bit in cash terms over perhaps three years - about 15% - but started IIRC from a low-ish earning multiple of about 3.5 x joint incomes. Similarly in the 2009 crash but now we have a load of froth on house prices whipped up by the massive earnings multiples the lenders have felt comfortable offering. 5 or 6 x joint salaries was not uncommon until recently.

I dunno what earnings multiples are available now since the Trussquake but I bet it isn't 5x joint income, and once base rates finish the climb back to normality they are now embarked upon, I can't see any way for current house prices to hold up.

Image actually found here:
https://www.economicshelp.org/blog/8733 ... ices-high/

Return to “The Economy”