Handing over our history and culture

High levels of moderation
Forum rules
no trolling, name calling, no arguments
Avarus

Handing over our history and culture

Postby Avarus » January 12th, 2017, 8:22 am

The senior clergyman at a cathedral in Glasgow has defended a service at which passages from the Koran were read from the lectern.

St Mary's Episcopal Cathedral has been criticised because the verses contradict Christian teaching about Jesus.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-g ... t-38591559

We care so little about defending our culture - perhaps we don't deserve to retain it

allahu akbar!

UncleIan
Lemon Pip

Re: Handing over our history and culture

Postby UncleIan » January 12th, 2017, 8:27 am

To also quote from the article...

The cathedral's provost, the Very Rev Kelvin Holdsworth, said readings of the Koran in the cathedral were part of efforts to build relationships between Christians and Muslims in Glasgow.
He said: "Such readings have happened a number of times in the past in this and in other churches and have led to deepening friendships locally, to greater awareness of the things we hold in common and to dialogue about the ways in which we differ."

Forgive me but that doesn't sound like a bad thing.

DaveE101

Postby DaveE101 » January 12th, 2017, 8:52 am

UncleIan wrote:To also quote from the article...

The cathedral's provost, the Very Rev Kelvin Holdsworth, said readings of the Koran in the cathedral were part of efforts to build relationships between Christians and Muslims in Glasgow.
He said: "Such readings have happened a number of times in the past in this and in other churches and have led to deepening friendships locally, to greater awareness of the things we hold in common and to dialogue about the ways in which we differ."

Forgive me but that doesn't sound like a bad thing.

Forgive me but that sounds a bit one sided as usual.
No mention of corresponding events in the local mosques! Is that a lack of interest or tolerance on their behalf?

UncleIan
Lemon Pip

Postby UncleIan » January 12th, 2017, 9:39 am

DaveE101 wrote:Forgive me but that sounds a bit one sided as usual.
No mention of corresponding events in the local mosques! Is that a lack of interest or tolerance on their behalf?

It's a news report about criticism of a priest, not an analysis of inter-religious discourse.

If they are building "relationships between Christians and Muslims in Glasgow" and it's "led to deepening friendships locally"...is that a bad thing?

Richasdotcom
Lemon Pip

Postby Richasdotcom » January 12th, 2017, 10:03 am

Avarus wrote:
The senior clergyman at a cathedral in Glasgow has defended a service at which passages from the Koran were read from the lectern.

St Mary's Episcopal Cathedral has been criticised because the verses contradict Christian teaching about Jesus.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-g ... t-38591559

We care so little about defending our culture - perhaps we don't deserve to retain it

allahu akbar!

Our culture includes religious tolerance.

Avarus

Postby Avarus » January 12th, 2017, 10:35 am

Our culture includes religious tolerance.

...and we are dealing with Islam, a somewhat intolerent religion

If they are building "relationships between Christians and Muslims in Glasgow" and it's "led to deepening friendships locally"...is that a bad thing?

It could well be a bad thing in the long run

Christians need to be a little careful

Going into a mosque and criticising Islam could well be a death sentence these days

Dod1010
2 Lemon pips

Postby Dod1010 » January 12th, 2017, 10:45 am

I think in principle that an understanding of each others beliefs can only be a good thing but to have the passage from the Koran read in Arabic sounds a bit silly. I doubt that many of the Christians in the congregation would have understood a single word.

Dod

avconway

Postby avconway » January 12th, 2017, 11:21 am

Avarus wrote:

I quote from the BBC report:-
“St Mary's Episcopal Cathedral has been criticised because the verses contradict Christian teaching about Jesus.
St Mary's invited local Muslims, who also revere Jesus as a prophet, to join the service. A student, Madinah Javed, read from the lectern in Arabic from the chapter of Maryam, or Mary.
The chapter tells the story of the birth of Christ to the virgin Mary, and includes the Islamic teaching that Jesus is not the son of God and should not be worshipped, which has provoked criticism from some Anglicans. (End of quote.)

I am reminded of the Pope-of-the-day’s intolerant demand that Galileo cease spreading “fake news” which contradicted the Church’s teaching on some issue. I understand that notwithstanding Galileo’s willing offering of evidence in support of his assertions, the Church took the view that his teaching was "foolish and absurd in philosophy, and formally heretical since it explicitly contradicts in many places the sense of Holy Scripture."

Happily however, recent news on this dispute is that the matter has been resolved in Galileo’s favour. Truth is what there is evidence for, all else is either myth, supposition or fabrication, and it seems the weight of Galileo’s evidence carried the day. Nonetheless, the outcome and the reconciliation did take many years – there always those in high places who resist the idea that weight of evidence should trump the weight of their authority.

On this present issue, the matter is binary - either Jesus is the son of God or he is not, both claims cannot be right. For myself I am pleased that Glaswegians, ever known as searchers after truth, beauty and goodness, have broached a discussion of this fascinating issue, and I look forward in due course to a resolution of the matter, one way or the other – if I live long enough, for already there are authoritarian voices from those in high places, who despite preaching tolerance, are notably intolerant of enquiry and eager to close down any discussion, to wit, Bishop Michael Nazir-Ali: "The authorities of the Scottish Episcopal Church should immediately repudiate this ill-advised invitation and exercise appropriate discipline for those involved."

avconway

Return to “Polite Discussions”