The Trading Log

Honest reporting on shorter-term trading activity and ideas
compscidude

The Trading Log

Postby compscidude » December 9th, 2016, 10:24 pm

Hi everyone,

Over the years on TMF I was occasionally accused of not holding particular positions/trades over the periods I claimed, despite the fact that a careful perusal of my posting history would in every case show the trade.

Something I wished for at TMF was a place to record trades so that it would be easy to look up what someone had said they were doing in the past.

I would like there to be a new board called 'The Trading Log' in which posts are simply statements of your positions, without discussion, so that people can put their name behind a particular play. Then others will be able to inspect past posts and decide for themselves if the person is a competent investor and if their reasoning was sound.

For now, I've created this thread and people can post here. It will be messy as hell, since we don't have one thread per user, but that's life.

Proposed rules:

1 - Post your name, and the position you've taken, and optionally a very short note about why - a few sentences at most.
2 - To keep the thread manageable, no discussion on *this* thread about people's trades, or people themselves. Post it somewhere else.
3 - Don't edit your posts. If you need to correct something, post a second post to correct it.
4 - Any post which is edited after being posted should not be considered part of the record (except where it is awful :) )
5 - Trades should be considered as having taken place at time the post was made. i.e. You can't claim 'I got the best price of the day'.
6 - Preferably, report the % of your portfolio that was in the trade, not the absolute amount.

comp

tjh290633
Lemon Slice

Re: The Trading Log

Postby tjh290633 » December 9th, 2016, 10:35 pm

Good idea, but I suspect that rule 5 may be a bit of a problem.
5 - Trades should be considered as having taken place at time the post was made. i.e. You can't claim 'I got the best price of the day'.

If you are doing several deals, for example trimming one share and topping up 2 or 3 more, it may not be practicable to report each deal here while dealing. Perhaps better to give the date and time of each deal, which can then be verified against the price chart for the day.

TJH

compscidude

Postby compscidude » December 9th, 2016, 10:40 pm

compscidude

SELL BRK-B.NYSE (Berkshire Hathaway) 20% of portfolio
SELL MYI.L (Murray International IT) 10% of portfolio

(Price at close, Friday 9th 2016).

I am now 89% in cash, with a smattering of UK and Canadian ITs left.

I moved to cash because the US market indices have scored repeated quadruple simultaneous record highs, as they did before the dotcom crash, which seems like a sign of toppiness. Also because I believe Trump will be a disaster, so I want to reduce my US exposure and market exposure. Also because I believe the US dollar is very overvalued. (http://www.proactiveinvestors.co.uk/col ... 26577.html)

I have no idea what BRK and the US indices will do in the short term, but starting from here and measured in pound sterling terms, I think they are likely to go down in the longer term. The 50% return in pound sterling that BRK has offered holders over the last 13-14 months is spectacular and I don't want to lose it.

I held MYI since the Brexit referendum vote. You can see that this is not really an excellent time to be buying MYI, even over a 1 year time frame. In the last year the price has been as low as 750p, it is now 1158p. (https://www.google.co.uk/finance/getcha ... m_U7SqgvAH)

compscidude

Postby compscidude » December 9th, 2016, 10:46 pm

If you are doing several deals, for example trimming one share and topping up 2 or 3 more, it may not be practicable to report each deal here while dealing. Perhaps better to give the date and time of each deal, which can then be verified against the price chart for the day.

Hi tjh.

Yes I thought about this while proposing the rules. I think it is better that people post 'when they can' and accept the price in that market at that time of their post, even if it is not precisely accurate with their actual trade. The reason is that at least it is always externally verifiable and there is no question of the poster's honesty or accuracy.

The alternative is to allow people to claim they traded at the best price each day. This seems more likely to start arguments about honesty or accuracy, especially if someone is fortunate enough to clutch the best price of the day several times by good fortune.

Can we try it the way I suggested for now and review it in a few weeks if the inaccuracies are too great?

If anyone's trading record is ruined by trades being reported a few hours late occasionally, there's a high probability their trading success is simply random noise anyway.

Perhaps we can also make thread-wide exceptions to this rule during times of high market volatility.

comp

AJC5001

Postby AJC5001 » December 9th, 2016, 10:47 pm

compscidude wrote:compscidude

SELL BRK-B.NYSE (Berkshire Hathaway) 20% of portfolio
SELL MYI.L (Murray International IT) 10% of portfolio

Why not include the actual trade price as well? Saves having to mess about trying to find it in the future when referring back to this post.

Adrian

compscidude

Postby compscidude » December 9th, 2016, 10:49 pm

Updating previous post with numbers included:

SELL BRK-B.NYSE at 164.86 USD, 131.15GBP (Berkshire Hathaway). 20% of portfolio. Forex rate 1.257 USD per GBP.
SELL MYI.L at 1158p (Murray International IT). 10% of portfolio.

compscidude

Postby compscidude » December 9th, 2016, 10:49 pm

Why not include the actual trade price as well? Saves having to mess about trying to find it in the future when referring back to this post.

Completely agree, Adrian. Have posted a correction post with the numbers.

comp

bulltraderpt
2 Lemon pips

Postby bulltraderpt » December 13th, 2016, 3:10 pm

You might want to check out PAYS

Return to “Trading my way to a million”