The Long Road To ISA Millionaires

Honest reporting on shorter-term trading activity and ideas
will89

Re: The Long Road To ISA Millionaires

Postby will89 » January 6th, 2017, 11:23 am

Just as a quick 2016 summary, the unit value of our investments was 9.94 at the end of 2015, and 11.40 at the end of 2016, so an improvement of around 14.5%, which I'm very happy with. We hit a useful milestone in December, which was a live value of £10k overall profit including dividends, which was nice.

Capital value over the year rose by 105% due to the unit value growth and substantial top-ups. Unit value as as of today stands at 11.75.

I keep a master spreadsheet with all of the data, and one of the tabs I maintain shows snapshots at the end of each quarter. Reassuringly, our portfolio has beaten the market in 9 of the last 10 quarters, some being close, but the only 'loser' being the Brexit quarter of April-June 16.

The three 'areas' of our portfolio are now roughly aligned how I want them to be. Value/Small Cap accounts for 30%, HYP/Income accounts for 39%, and Investment Trusts account for 30%. Plans for this year include adding a couple of new HYP shares, continuing to monitor for value opportunities, and topping up ITs where appropriate.
I very much get the feeling that the first two years of investing have been about learning the fundamentals (first investment was 02/15), but I now feel comfortable and settled with a strategy and portfolio setup that works well for us personally, so can now focus on returns and maximising opportunities rather than refining and tweaking strategy.

will89

Postby will89 » January 6th, 2017, 12:26 pm

Following on from the post above, our current holdings are shown below. Apologies as I managed to cut off the column headers but they are EPIC, Name, Running P/L% inc. Divis, % of total portfolio.

You will note that I am overweight in a couple of Small Caps, but I'm comfortable with that for now as they're my highest conviction picks and over time they can be top-sliced or, with new money being added making up a relatively high % of the total portfolio value, their weighting will naturally come down. Any comments are very welcome.

will89

Postby will89 » January 6th, 2017, 1:01 pm

Apologies, as I was adding this chart I noticed one of my comments above is incorrect. We have in fact beaten the FT100 in 8 of the 10 previous quarters, not 9 as mentioned above, the 2 losses were Oct-Dec15 (-3.5%) and Apr-Jun16 (ouch -7.7%).

I know the results aren't world-beating, but for a first couple of years investing I feel content that I have been able to learn and mould my own strategy (and risk/diversification appetite) into something that works well for me and will hopefully now start to show good results, which is a nice feeling to have. 2017 here I come!

will89

Postby will89 » January 6th, 2017, 3:15 pm

Just as a quick addition, I received a PM from a reader regarding benchmarking, and the fact the FT100/350etc perhaps aren't the best for my portfolio, which I agree wholeheartedly with. My reply is below:

I really feel like I need to compare to some other benchmarks, as you said an equal-weighted FTSE would be a good start, I think I would also like to use a world tracker too, but I just haven't had the time to go back and unitise them yet to match up with the portfolio.
Until recently I ran the tracking of the 2 portfolios separately, with the HYP element being stored in a separate spreadsheet, which is why the benchmarks were FTSE-related. In December I decided to migrate everything into one single tracking spreadsheet, I just haven't adjusted the benchmarks to match the newly blended portfolio, thanks for the tip.

will89

Postby will89 » January 16th, 2017, 9:40 am

Topped up some Somero last week after seeing the trading update.

Return to “Trading my way to a million”