Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to Bhoddhisatva,scotia,Anonymous,Cornytiv34,Anonymous, for Donating to support the site

Joey's O&G Trading Log

Honest reporting on shorter-term trading activity and ideas
GoSeigen
Lemon Quarter

Re: Joey's O&G Trading Log

Postby GoSeigen » July 31st, 2021, 10:09 pm

joey wrote:This is a record of my trading in speculative oil & gas small caps.

(Note: I have one other position in O&G (TXP), but that is an actual investment and not a trade, and won't be commented on here).

My strategy is not to trade on fundamentals. That has far too high a probability of complete failure and permament loss of capital. Instead, trade on the sentiment -- and associated price movements -- that comes with speculative stocks when "the herd" arrived. Aim to build a position when certain signals align (e.g. post-placing churn) and dispose of a position pre-news.

I will post position details only once they are fully taken or fully disposed of.

It's not obvious from the way this board is set up but the original purpose of this board was to demonstrate how £1000 could be turned into a million in 30 years. This requires an annual return of above 25% consistently for the 30 years. Will be interesting to see how you get on!

FWIW the originator of the idea gave up in a few short months IIRC...

GS

1nvest
Lemon Quarter

Postby 1nvest » August 29th, 2021, 12:06 am

GoSeigen wrote:It's not obvious from the way this board is set up but the original purpose of this board was to demonstrate how £1000 could be turned into a million in 30 years. This requires an annual return of above 25% consistently for the 30 years.

HedgeFundie data since 2010 with £ adjustment is running at over 30% annualised.

Concept is exploit low interest rates (borrowing costs) to leverage stock, with 3x long dated treasuries to kill the stock downside volatility.

Throwing in some bit coins would have uplifted to the CAGR to 48% since 2016.

Generally OK for sandboxing, perhaps no more than 5% allocation of a established/large portfolio. Or if young and you're portfolio is so little anyway that the total loss wouldn't be the end of the world either.

compscidude
Lemon Pip

Postby compscidude » November 1st, 2021, 7:22 am

It's not obvious from the way this board is set up but the original purpose of this board was to demonstrate how £1000 could be turned into a million in 30 years.

It's also not obvious that the original separate 'trading log' board was merged here some time ago.

The site does not have a lot of visitors, so it's probably not a bad thing for people to report trades and thoughts, more productive and on-topic for finance than 75% of the posts here :-)

Would be happy to see the 'trading log' board reinstated to avoid any confusion and to avoid mere trade-loggers causing chaos amongst the legions of soon-to-be-millionaires.

Return to “Trading my way to a million”