Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to Wasron,jfgw,Rhyd6,eyeball08,Wondergirly, for Donating to support the site

ve ejucayshun sistum tooday

Mind that apostrophe.
Lootman
The full Lemon

Re: ve ejucayshun sistum tooday

Postby Lootman » May 7th, 2023, 3:05 pm

tjh290633 wrote:
bungeejumper wrote:The formal "Yours faithfully" isn't really in style with the tone of the message, and in fact it looks generally odd and rather old-fashioned in an email anyway. Can Calcarius tell us whether it went on to give the name of the sender, or "the team", or "the catering department", or was it just left anonymous?

I think that is the correct way of ending such a message. It's a long time since I was instructed in the correct was to write letters. We had the "Command" letter which began with "I am commanded by Her Majesty's Secretary of State for Air" and ended with "I have the honour to be, Sir, your obedient servant". Then we had the "Direct" letter which started "I am directed by the Air Council" and ended similarly. Then was the "Official" Letter, beginning "Dear Sir", and concluding with "Yours faithfully". Finally came the "Demi-Official" letter, beginning with "Dear Mr .." and concluding with "Yours Sincerely". I might have first two the wrong way round.

As I see it this is the perfect example of the Official letter.

Finally we have the letter to the Editor, beginning "Sir," and concluding with "Yours, etc." often signed "Disgusted, Tunbridge Wells". For the benefit of the doubt, the male may be replaced by the female if appropriate.

I remain.

TJH

I may have this all wrong but back when I was taught this stuff, you ended with "Yours faithfully" if the letter was addressed "Dear Sir" or "Dear Madam".

But if the letter were addressed to a specific named person, then you ended with "Yours sincerely".

Of course nobody writes like that any more. And can you be sincere without being faithful?

bungeejumper
Lemon Half

Postby bungeejumper » May 7th, 2023, 8:03 pm

tjh290633 wrote:I think that is the correct way of ending such a message. It's a long time since I was instructed in the correct was to write letters. We had the "Command" letter which began with "I am commanded by Her Majesty's Secretary of State for Air" and ended with "I have the honour to be, Sir, your obedient servant". Then we had the "Direct" letter which started "I am directed by the Air Council" and ended similarly. Then was the "Official" Letter, beginning "Dear Sir", and concluding with "Yours faithfully". Finally came the "Demi-Official" letter, beginning with "Dear Mr .." and concluding with "Yours Sincerely". I might have first two the wrong way round.

Indeed, I was taught the same way. But those were letters, and these are emails. The email etiquette says that you don't do Yours Faithfully/Sincerely unless you faithfully/sincerely want to be viewed as a quaint relict of the early/mid 20th century.

OTOH I do still use Dear Sir occasionally in emails, if only because I can't bring myself to begin a message with "Hi Peter!" [big smiley], the way so many people seem to do. My sister will sometimes begin an email with just the recipient's name - but only when she wants to let him know in advance that he's done something wrong and that she's about to make him pay for his insubordination. It's a minefield, communication etiquette. Perhaps I should try Oi You instead?

BJ

UncleEbenezer
The full Lemon

Postby UncleEbenezer » May 7th, 2023, 10:15 pm

bungeejumper wrote:Perhaps I should try Oi You instead?

BJ

Wotcher,

I wish to express my disgust at your unworthy words.

Yours (Up),

(insert signature here).

Return to “Pedants' Place”