Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to gpadsa,Steffers0,lansdown,Wasron,jfgw, for Donating to support the site

Upset rhythm

Grumpy Old Lemons Like You
SW10Chap

Upset rhythm

Postby SW10Chap » January 26th, 2017, 4:37 pm

Recently, I've fallen into a pattern of looking in on The Fool discussion boards every four or five years.

It now seems they've closed. Did no-one think to ask my opinion?

SW10

PinkDalek
Lemon Half

Re: Upset rhythm

Postby PinkDalek » January 26th, 2017, 5:07 pm

SW10Chap wrote:Recently, I've fallen into a pattern of looking in on The Fool discussion boards every four or five years.

SW10

I noticed you'd signed up here the other day. If you'd waited 4 or 5 years, you might never have found out about this place. Whether or not that is a good thing is for you to judge.

Lootman
The full Lemon

Postby Lootman » January 27th, 2017, 1:19 am

Of course TMF didn't ask your opinion. When did they ever? It quite simply wasn't a democratic entity. It was driven by commercial imperatives. No matter how wrong they obviously were, they would always double down on their position, and you could never convince them that they were wrong even when it was blatantly obvious.

Now, I am the last person who could ever be accused of being a bleeding-heart liberal. But there was a conceptual disconnect at the heart of TMF. They presented this cute whimsical image of being the peoples' website when in reality (at least in the UK) they were a bunch of very average financial types who would struggle to hold down any kind of job at a big fund manager or IB. In fact, the Boards were the best thing about TMF and they never could figure out how to monetise it.

The good news is that you found this place which, after less than 3 months, is already better.

melonfool
Lemon Quarter

Postby melonfool » January 27th, 2017, 12:00 pm

SW10Chap wrote:Recently, I've fallen into a pattern of looking in on The Fool discussion boards every four or five years.

SW10

I expect they thought about it - then decided not to. But it's the thought that counts, eh?

:)

Mel

NomoneyNohoney
Lemon Slice

Postby NomoneyNohoney » January 27th, 2017, 12:23 pm

SW10

I suspect you are mixing them up with people who cared about your opinion...

Satsuma
Lemon Slice

Postby Satsuma » January 27th, 2017, 12:55 pm

Lootman wrote:Now, I am the last person who could ever be accused of being a bleeding-heart liberal.

Allow me to rectify that for you:

Y'know, I have always thought that Lootman was the quintessential bleeding heart liberal. Bleeds his liberalness all over that place, that one. J'accuse!

Return to “Bitter Lemons”