Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to Anonymous,bruncher,niord,gvonge,Shelford, for Donating to support the site

Taking money out of the bank

Grumpy Old Lemons Like You
wheypat
Lemon Slice

Taking money out of the bank

Postby wheypat » December 20th, 2016, 8:32 am

I head into our local branch, which will be closed at the end of the year as no one goes into the branch apparently. Despite this, there are about 15 people queuing and there is one teller working (there are another 3 members of staff sitting at other windows, but there are closed). There is a member of staff walking up and down the line.

She helpfully comes over and asks if she can help me.

I want to take £100 out so she marches me over to the cash machine and tells me that this can do it for me! So I put my card in (as she shows me how) and tells me the wonderus new machine can give me my money. As she turns round I point out that I don't think it will help. She pauses and comes back. "What do you want in money that this machine can't help me with" she asks.

£100 . . . . in fivers.

Ah, so she walks me back to the queue, which is now 17 people deep and asks me if there is anything else she can do to 'help' me.

Loudly I suggest that either the 3 members of staff sitting at teller windows start serving customers, or how about she stops walking up and down the line and instead goes inside and opens up another position? Several people laugh and more than one agrees with me vocally. She doesn't talk to me again.

Alaric
Lemon Half

Re: Taking money out of the bank

Postby Alaric » December 20th, 2016, 9:55 am

wheypat wrote:I head into our local branch, which will be closed at the end of the year as no one goes into the branch apparently.

I'm wondering whether it's this that is causing the latest run of closures. Is it perhaps a belated realisation on the part of management, that several misselling scandals later, using the Branch network as a base for selling financial products isn't a viable operation?

Lootman
The full Lemon

Postby Lootman » December 20th, 2016, 1:58 pm

I often make a point of asking for specific denominations, like 5's or 50's, even when I don't really need them, just to ensure that I get personal service rather than be steered to a machine.

There's also a specific route through the lobby that I take in order to dodge the various "helpful" tellers who are trying to intercept me.

There are other times when I prefer to use a cash machine. it really depends. But I NEVER want to be engaged by a "helpful" ambulatory teller and certainly do not need to be asked how my day is going.

Tellers are like children - they should be seen but not heard. Leave me alone!!

WrenChasen
2 Lemon pips

Postby WrenChasen » December 20th, 2016, 10:10 pm

I've been to my local small HSBC branch twice since HSBC announced its most recent closures list, which apparently isn't exhaustive. The change in the attitude of the counter staff is remarkable - service with a smile, enquiring (almost sincerely) whether I'm "already for Christmas", and generally falling over themselves to be polite and helpful.

It's almost funny.

didds
Lemon Half

Postby didds » December 21st, 2016, 4:06 pm

our local HSBC is a nightmare./.. downstairs is all automated machines that randomly just don't work, despite the best efforts of the hovering staff.

Upstairs is a 2 person teller station, which often only has one teller on it anyway.

The entire building has piper "Radio HSBC" . Goodness knows how the staff cope with its constant advertising of HSBC products and music all day, everyday.

the redeeming feature is that if you go upstairs you can get a free instant coffee and/or water if you are that desperate/sad.

didds

bionichamster
Lemon Slice

Postby bionichamster » December 31st, 2016, 9:02 pm

On who's side are these 'helpers' who insist on intercepting customers and guiding them to the cash machine...., "hello madam allow me to assist you in putting my colleagues and myself out of a job...."

BH

Rhyd6
Lemon Quarter

Postby Rhyd6 » January 8th, 2017, 5:15 pm

I was reminded of Victor Meldrew the last time I called in the bank.

Very young cashier: Hi guys how can I help you

Customer: You can start by calling me Sir or Mr if this is beyond the bounds of your vocabulary you can help me by getting the Manager.

This produced a round of applause from all customers.

R6

PinkDalek
Lemon Half

Postby PinkDalek » January 8th, 2017, 5:17 pm

Rhyd6 wrote:
Customer: You can start by calling me Sir or Mr ...

Hi Mister, how can I help you (or did you mean Madam)?

Return to “Bitter Lemons”