Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to Wasron,jfgw,Rhyd6,eyeball08,Wondergirly, for Donating to support the site

Transition to Electric Car Endeavours

The Big Picture Place
BigB
Lemon Slice

Re: Transition to Electric Car Endeavours

Postby BigB » March 28th, 2024, 2:58 pm

Arborbridge wrote:
odysseus2000 wrote:
There is a big range in the UK for electric prices. I pay about 31p per kWh, but a neighbour up the road pays around 8p with Evo for off peak charging & often drives 200+ miles to visit his daughter in his electric BMW. This does around 2 miles per kWh, so 200 miles is roughly around 100 kWh, or £8. Compared to say a diesel doing 50 mpg, this would cost around £1.50 per gallon, for 200 miles 4x1.50x4.55 = £27.30. He also gets the reductions in benefit in kind tax. A newer diesel might return 100 mpg, putting the cost down to £13.65.

Regards,

2 miles per KwH - is that true? I don't know much about EVs in general, but that is around half what I achieve with my VW iD3. 2 miles does seem very low from what I read.

Arb.

Could be an honest reflection on the specifics of that 200+ mile trip. I wouldn't be regularly visiting anyone 200 (or 100) miles away at urban (efficient) speeds, I'd want high speed motorway which would drop the range and efficiency significantly.

odysseus2000
Lemon Half

Postby odysseus2000 » March 28th, 2024, 3:06 pm

Arborbridge wrote:
odysseus2000 wrote:
There is a big range in the UK for electric prices. I pay about 31p per kWh, but a neighbour up the road pays around 8p with Evo for off peak charging & often drives 200+ miles to visit his daughter in his electric BMW. This does around 2 miles per kWh, so 200 miles is roughly around 100 kWh, or £8. Compared to say a diesel doing 50 mpg, this would cost around £1.50 per gallon, for 200 miles 4x1.50x4.55 = £27.30. He also gets the reductions in benefit in kind tax. A newer diesel might return 100 mpg, putting the cost down to £13.65.

Regards,

2 miles per KwH - is that true? I don't know much about EVs in general, but that is around half what I achieve with my VW iD3. 2 miles does seem very low from what I read.

Arb.

I don’t have the data to work with. He reckoned over 2 miles kWh. He has plenty of money & leases & changes every 2 or 3 years and doesn’t seem to bother much about running costs, probably depreciation is another major factor I didn’t consider, but that is true in various rates for all new cars. In the summer his roof panels charge the car. I just quoted the base case which was anyhow great value compared to petrol or diesel. Reality is probably a lot better as the car is under 12 months old & he tells me that this is the best car he has ever had which is praise as he once ran a scrap yard & drove about everything with wheels.

Regards,

scrumpyjack
Lemon Quarter

Postby scrumpyjack » March 28th, 2024, 3:36 pm

I get about 3 miles per kWh. Charging costs nothing as it uses surplus power from my solar panels/battery system (VW ID4)

doolally
Lemon Slice

Postby doolally » March 28th, 2024, 3:42 pm

A solution to range anxiety :lol:
https://www.youtube.com/shorts/_si36bGHnbc
doolally

Arborbridge
The full Lemon

Postby Arborbridge » March 28th, 2024, 5:07 pm

odysseus2000 wrote:I don’t have the data to work with. He reckoned over 2 miles kWh. He has plenty of money & leases & changes every 2 or 3 years and doesn’t seem to bother much about running costs, probably depreciation is another major factor I didn’t consider, but that is true in various rates for all new cars. In the summer his roof panels charge the car. I just quoted the base case which was anyhow great value compared to petrol or diesel. Reality is probably a lot better as the car is under 12 months old & he tells me that this is the best car he has ever had which is praise as he once ran a scrap yard & drove about everything with wheels.

Regards,

Sounds as though he isn't too bothered, and might be getting much more than that.

I'm getting a long term average of 4.1 miles going by what the car tells me. I think the car tells porkie pies - by my own reckoning it's nearer 3.7. I can't imagine his BMW is much different.

Arborbridge
The full Lemon

Postby Arborbridge » March 28th, 2024, 5:10 pm

BigB wrote:
Arborbridge wrote:

Arb.

Could be an honest reflection on the specifics of that 200+ mile trip. I wouldn't be regularly visiting anyone 200 (or 100) miles away at urban (efficient) speeds, I'd want high speed motorway which would drop the range and efficiency significantly.

Maybe he's doing 80 mph? - that might do it. But at normal motorway plus town plus dual carriageway I get much more than that even in winter. The only time I approach 2.xx miles/kWh is when I do a short run - say under a couple of miles.
Last weekend I did 50 miles on dual carriageways and return 5.1 mi/kWh.

BullDog
Lemon Quarter

Postby BullDog » March 28th, 2024, 6:26 pm

Technology has moved rapidly. I had a 2019 PHEV and it would do anything between 1.6 and 3.5 miles per kilowatt, winter/summer. Presently have a 2024 BEV and between 5 and 6 miles per kilowatt seems to be typical.

DrFfybes
Lemon Quarter

Postby DrFfybes » March 28th, 2024, 9:45 pm

scrumpyjack wrote:I get about 3 miles per kWh. Charging costs nothing as it uses surplus power from my solar panels/battery system (VW ID4)

You should change supplier. Octopus pay us up to 28p/kWh for our surplus solar output.

scrumpyjack
Lemon Quarter

Postby scrumpyjack » March 29th, 2024, 6:53 am

DrFfybes wrote:
scrumpyjack wrote:I get about 3 miles per kWh. Charging costs nothing as it uses surplus power from my solar panels/battery system (VW ID4)

You should change supplier. Octopus pay us up to 28p/kWh for our surplus solar output.

The grid won't permit us to export more than 5 kW. I am signing up for eons export scheme but making sure I don't lose FIT payments

scotview
Lemon Quarter

Postby scotview » March 29th, 2024, 7:37 am

scrumpyjack wrote:
DrFfybes wrote:

The grid won't permit us to export more than 5 kW. I am signing up for eons export scheme but making sure I don't lose FIT payments

An ID4 costs about £45K. Are your energy savings via FIT, off peak charging etc really relevant compared to the depreciation of your EV.

Are you saving the pennies and losing the pounds or are you in it for the long game and expecting tariffs to go way higher than they are now.

In which case how will ordinary Joe Bloggs cope or will energy become means tested ? ?

scrumpyjack
Lemon Quarter

Postby scrumpyjack » March 29th, 2024, 7:45 am

I got my ID4 3 years ago (£40,500) and am very happy with it. I much prefer it to an ICE car. But I've also kept my 9 year old Golf TDI though hardly use it. The only cost with the ID4 so far was one service after 2 years, apart from insurance which is a little more than the ICE car, but not much. It wasn't a financial decision to get it, but the running costs are extremely low. No road tax, no congestion charges, no cam belts to replace etc etc.

On a couple of longer trips I did spend £10 topping up the battery at Tesco.

I guess the cost of EVs will come down substantially as volumes rise and charging will become less problematic for those without their own charger. They are far simpler than ICE cars.

funduffer
Lemon Quarter

Postby funduffer » April 18th, 2024, 11:57 am

I bought my Kia Niro EV 2.5 years ago, and it has been a revelation. Fun to drive, easy to own.

It has 250-300 miles range (winter - summer), and has averaged 4 m/kWh over that time. This is from actual mileage and kWh charging logs. I have a home charger and this provides 85% of the kWh I need, the rest coming from public chargers. I charge at home using a cheap tariff (Octopus) at 7.5p per kWh. My average cost per mile, including the high public charging costs, has been 2.8p. The fuel cost for a petrol/hybrid doing 50mpg and paying £1.50 per litre, would by 13.5p per mile - i.e. nearly 5 times higher. I do about 8000 mile per year, so this works out as a saving of £850 per year on fuel costs.

Now the EV had a higher price than the petrol/hybrid equivalent (a Kia Niro petrol hybrid) by about £7k, so on the face of it, it would take roughly 8 years to recoup the higher EV price from the savings in running costs. However, there are other factors. Maintenance costs are lower, servicing, brakes etc on the EV. Also, whilst list prices were higher, lease prices were not, and leasing seems to favour EV's for some reason. A quick look at leasing a Kia Niro EV versus a Kia Niro petrol hybrid reveals that it is now cheaper to lease the EV by nearly £50 per month over 3 years!

The big unknowns are the future price of electricity versus petrol, and the residual values of EV's versus hybrids. These are probably the biggest factors in the economics of EV's v hybrids.

FD

PeterGray
Lemon Slice

Postby PeterGray » April 18th, 2024, 12:04 pm

The big unknowns are the future price of electricity versus petrol, and the residual values of EV's versus hybrids.

At some point, as EV takeup grows something will have to done about the revenue loss from fuel taxation. Perhaps a move to some sort of road pricing? That will shift the economics of EV ownership

Hallucigenia
Lemon Quarter

Postby Hallucigenia » April 18th, 2024, 12:27 pm

PeterGray wrote:The big unknowns are the future price of electricity versus petrol, and the residual values of EV's versus hybrids.

At some point, as EV takeup grows something will have to done about the revenue loss from fuel taxation. Perhaps a move to some sort of road pricing? That will shift the economics of EV ownership

What matters is the differential between ICE and EV, but presumably road pricing would apply to each equally (or if anything favour EVs over ICE)?

scotview
Lemon Quarter

Postby scotview » April 18th, 2024, 12:40 pm

funduffer wrote:Now the EV had a higher price than the petrol/hybrid equivalent
FD

And depreciation seems to another factor. We bought an ID3 two and a half years ago and we're looking to go to a Duster hybrid. The ID3 cost £40k new and the latest quote from webuyanycar and VW is £13K.

Adamski
Lemon Quarter

Postby Adamski » April 18th, 2024, 1:58 pm

The EV bubble has burst. As we'll see this quarter numbers levelled off now early adopters already have an EV.

Question now is whether the EU and US politicians will follow their public and delay their 2035 deadline, which very few people think will happen.

Except here we will have Labour who promised to bring back 2030 ICE ban even though this will destroy our car industry :roll: i suppose the EU will look at the disaster unfold here, and adjust their date accordingly.

funduffer
Lemon Quarter

Postby funduffer » April 18th, 2024, 2:18 pm

Adamski wrote:The EV bubble has burst. As we'll see this quarter numbers levelled off now early adopters already have an EV.

Question now is whether the EU and US politicians will follow their public and delay their 2035 deadline, which very few people think will happen.

Except here we will have Labour who promised to bring back 2030 ICE ban even though this will destroy our car industry :roll: i suppose the EU will look at the disaster unfold here, and adjust their date accordingly.

Whilst EV market share in the UK has levelled off at around 16%, it will be interesting to see what happens when the Chinese hit the market with their lower cost vehicles (BYD etc). You could argue the early adopters, like myself, have bought relatively expensive cars cars (£30k - £40k and upwards). When there are mass market £20-£30k cars on the market, and if fuel costs remain as they are, I think we will see a further upsurge in take-up. Also the EV second hand market now has some very attractive bargains. An EV will easily do 100,000 miles with minimal battery degradation and virtually no wear, so I can see this being very attractive to some motorists who buy second hand.

I don't there think there are many who have owned an EV thinking of switching back to ICE.

FD

Hallucigenia
Lemon Quarter

Postby Hallucigenia » April 18th, 2024, 2:25 pm

Adamski wrote:The EV bubble has burst. As we'll see this quarter numbers levelled off now early adopters already have an EV.

I know, too expensive, the technology is too immature...

Adamski
Lemon Quarter

Postby Adamski » April 19th, 2024, 5:33 pm

A lot of people who have an EV have a petrol second car on the drive. Yes I do think they'll be the future eventually, if we have the charging network, the journey range, and the prices come down. However there's no guarantee it'll be in place for 2035 or 2030. Guess we'll see in the Q1 figures but Tesla is worst performer in the S&P YTD down 40% so the market is anticipating bad results, or correcting to a lower growth rare.

Hallucigenia
Lemon Quarter

Postby Hallucigenia » April 19th, 2024, 9:50 pm

Adamski wrote:Yes I do think they'll be the future eventually, if we have the charging network, the journey range, and the prices come down. However there's no guarantee it'll be in place for 2035 or 2030.

I think you're letting perfection be the enemy of the good. We're already pretty much there for many people. What kind of journeys are you planning to do? There was a survey 10-15 years ago in the US (where they drive more than the UK) that found 90% of cars never do more than 180(???) miles in a day. 70% of UK households have off-road parking so in principle can charge at home - plus all the people who may not be able to charge at home but can charge at work or wherever. I know people who only ever charged at home all the time that they owned an EV and I've had an ICE car that did just over 250 miles to the tank - it was fine, a bit of a pain but I didn't have the option of filling up with petrol at home.

Not that it's not getting better with every month that goes by, but exactly how good does the charging network need to be, if most people can charge from home and most people don't do more than their car's range in one day?

And even for the minority doing long distances - where are you planning to go? If you have a car with a range of 250 miles and can charge 80% in 30 minutes as is becoming the standard for that kind of level - you can (just!) do Southampton to Stirling with one charging stop of 30 minutes. I don't know about you, but I need more than half an hour break on a car journey of more than 7 hours, and how often are you doing Southampton to Stirling?

And the fact that BEVs made up 90.2% of new cars in Norway Q1 suggests that for new car-buyers in Norway at least, the basic technology is good enough (but the difference that generous subsidies make suggests that cost is a factor).

So in what way, exactly, do you think there is a problem with journey range?

As for prices - what matters is the price relative to ICE cars, which have gone up quite a bit - and higher interest rates have made leases much more expensive, which combined with incomes being squeezed and the lack of use in lockdown has meant private buyers have been squeezed out of the new car market in general. But something that has changed is that the technology matured a lot about 5 years ago, which means the cars now coming off lease are "good enough" for many people in a way that wasn't true when the second hand market was just Leafs and Zoes. Also those cars have relatively low mileages thanks to lockdown. And while there's been a lot of talk of high depreciation lately, that's mostly been driven by Tesla and seems to be overdone - what I'm hearing is that decent secondhand cars are selling quickly, those £13k offers for scotview's ID.3 sound like they're taking the mick in the current market unless there's something badly wrong with it.

And running costs have come down whilst fossil fuels get ever more expensive. I know someone who was quite a sceptic about EVs until I took him through running costs which worked out just over £100/month less for him with EV over ICE. That kind of saving then meant he could afford the cost of a charger and somewhat higher lease costs and still be quids in - he's gone from being a sceptic to actively looking for an EV, based purely on costs.

Just to give an example, here's a 70-plate Hyundai Kona for £15k with 29,800 miles on the clock, 150kW charging (ie 32 minutes for 80%), 64kWh for 279 official range, say the real-world range is 80% of that or 223 miles. How often do you drive more than 223 miles in a day? Originally was 10% more expensive than its petrol sister, but insurance group 24 vs 27 for the petrol, no road tax vs £190 for the petrol, and the petrol version does 32.8mpg officially. Boot's a bit small, not the most exciting to drive, but 0-60 in 7.6s is quicker than a 2-litre X3 and comparable to brisk Golfs like the GTD/GTE.

It's not sexy but I'd say that looks a pretty good package for £15k, it's hard to say it looks expensive against similar ICE cars - and then you save money on running costs.

So exactly how much more do prices need to come down?

That's not to say the current state of the art works for everyone, it doesn't - but I'd suggest the technology is already at the stage where it is good enough for a majority of people, affordability is getting better, and the comparison with the internet of 2000 - quite expensive and not quite there technology-wise, but getting there on both counts - is not a bad one. At the very least, the onus falls on sceptics to state their case more specifically than "I don't believe this".

Adamski wrote:Guess we'll see in the Q1 figures but Tesla is worst performer in the S&P YTD down 40% so the market is anticipating bad results, or correcting to a lower growth rare.

I know one Lemon will always disagree with me on this <g> but the Tesla shareprice is so divorced from what's going on at Tesla let alone the wider EV market that it's not a good proxy for either.

Return to “Macro and Global Topics”