Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to lansdown,Wasron,jfgw,Rhyd6,eyeball08, for Donating to support the site

Gadge GIP versus Vanguard 80/20 Life Strategy

Stocks and Shares ISA , Choosing funds for ISA's, risk factors for funds etc
Investment strategy discussions not dealt with elsewhere.
BarrenWuffett
2 Lemon pips

Re: Gadge GIP versus Vanguard 80/20 Life Strategy

Postby BarrenWuffett » April 4th, 2017, 11:49 pm

Gadge wrote:I would not though be so happy by its less than 2% yield on the Inc version or enjoy the high platform fee it attracts.

I hold the Lifestrategy 60 acc and merely take 'income' from selling units once each year. The growth of my fund in 2016 was 18.5% and I have taken 4% income. I imagine most income seekers will dismiss the fund due to its low natural yield but what matters is total return at the end of the day.

So far as platform fees, I hold with Halifax Share Dealing which charges an annual fee of £12.50 plus £12.50 for the sale of units so £25 per year or 0.12% for this years ISA allowance. Combine with the ongoing charges of 0.22% and I actually pay less than 0.30% on my holding.

bdr1000

Re: Gadge GIP versus Vanguard 80/20 Life Strategy

Postby bdr1000 » April 6th, 2017, 5:18 pm

Gadge wrote:The Vanguard fund is proving strong competition todate.

https://www.trustnet.com/News/723473/va ... ted-funds/

Interesting insight - thanks.

Ive recently simplified my portfolio significantly as part of a transition in both working-to-livingoffassets and also moving to predominantly passive-lowcost. As part of this I have moved a large % of the portfolio to VG Lifestrategy 80. I plan to stick with this core for the long term.

saechunu made some valid & interesting comments in a recent post of mine about LS80 just reminding me that it has had many tailwinds since 2011 so its strong current performance should be seen in context.

saechunu wrote:

Take LifeStrategy 80 for example, which since launching in 2011 has enjoyed favourable performance tailwinds from all 3 of rising equities, falling long bond yields and sterling currency depreciation, thereby enjoying a wonderful set of conditions compared to what might have happened or could happen in the future. Are you prepared to stick with LS80 through thick and thin, during a period when perhaps all 3 tailwinds become headwinds, and the fund falls by perhaps >50%?

But I guess you could say the same for any highly diversified balanced portfolio of global equity and bonds over this period...

Return to “Investment Strategies”