Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to Wasron,jfgw,Rhyd6,eyeball08,Wondergirly, for Donating to support the site

UCI Cycling and Glasgow Carbon Monoxide

On road, off road, Mamils, Club rides or just share your routes and tips
taken2often
Lemon Slice

UCI Cycling and Glasgow Carbon Monoxide

Postby taken2often » August 4th, 2023, 5:00 pm

Although i have not indulged in Cycling ,since very young. I do understand why some may enjoy it, but why would you want to run round a city. The centre of the City will no doubt have cleaner air, but The Powers that Be have created a massive ring of Carbon Monoxide round it and for 10 days.
Just back from a Hospital visit 10 minute journey an hour. Massive lines of slow moving traffic. I have a Hybrid so my contribution small compared to the trucks , buses and other cars, and this is the first day Friday 4th. Asked a Taxi driver on Thursday, if this was a big problem, No he said. It was not Not until later did I see, he was is happy, a city full of inexperienced tourists, massive re routes. Buses going no where near their regular routes. Thousands having difficulty getting to work or anything else. Stupidity of Politicians at its best. Every Action has a Reaction. Bask in the Glory screw the citizen.

Bob

Dod101
The full Lemon

Re: UCI Cycling and Glasgow Carbon Monoxide

Postby Dod101 » August 4th, 2023, 5:11 pm

taken2often wrote:Although i have not indulged in Cycling ,since very young. I do understand why some may enjoy it, but why would you want to run round a city. The centre of the City will no doubt have cleaner air, but The Powers that Be have created a massive ring of Carbon Monoxide round it and for 10 days.
Just back from a Hospital visit 10 minute journey an hour. Massive lines of slow moving traffic. I have a Hybrid so my contribution small compared to the trucks , buses and other cars, and this is the first day Friday 4th. Asked a Taxi driver on Thursday, if this was a big problem, No he said. It was not Not until later did I see, he was is happy, a city full of inexperienced tourists, massive re routes. Buses going no where near their regular routes. Thousands having difficulty getting to work or anything else. Stupidity of Politicians at its best. Every Action has a Reaction. Bask in the Glory screw the citizen.

Bob

I can understand your frustration but I am not sure what your gripe really is. What is this 'massive ring of Carbon Monoxide round it'? How have they managed that?

The Low Emissions Zone in the square mile or so of the city centre has helped hugely with pollution even if it has probably just pushed it out to the outer city. I do not live in Glasgow but it was a pleasure to walk along George Street a couple of weeks ago, for the lack of pollution and the peace and quiet. How it is to live there of course I have no idea. Cyclists will not have created pollution, at least not directly, that's for sure

Dod

Lootman
The full Lemon

Postby Lootman » August 4th, 2023, 5:17 pm

Dod101 wrote:Cyclists will not have created pollution, at least not directly, that's for sure

Not directly but there is an argument that the provision of bike lanes increases congestion for other road users, which in turns leads to higher pollution.

didds
Lemon Half

Postby didds » August 4th, 2023, 5:21 pm

are the various tracks and routes solely in the middle of glasgow ? I cant imagine the mountain bike and road events are - Id imagine the majority of the distance is well outside the city?

velodrome and BMX tracks may well be in some suburb ?

didds

Dod101
The full Lemon

Postby Dod101 » August 4th, 2023, 5:30 pm

didds wrote:are the various tracks and routes solely in the middle of glasgow ? I cant imagine the mountain bike and road events are - Id imagine the majority of the distance is well outside the city?

didds

Road events are all over the place. I am keeping well clear of my local town as it as warnings everywhere of disruption.

Dod

Dod101
The full Lemon

Postby Dod101 » August 4th, 2023, 5:32 pm

Lootman wrote:
Dod101 wrote:Cyclists will not have created pollution, at least not directly, that's for sure

Not directly but there is an argument that the provision of bike lanes increases congestion for other road users, which in turns leads to higher pollution.

Yes although I note that in Edinburgh some of the more stupid cycle lanes have recently been removed, partly, at least because they were causing more congestion than helping cyclists.

Dod

Mike4
Lemon Half

Postby Mike4 » August 4th, 2023, 6:09 pm

taken2often wrote:Although i have not indulged in Cycling ,since very young. I do understand why some may enjoy it, but why would you want to run round a city. The centre of the City will no doubt have cleaner air, but The Powers that Be have created a massive ring of Carbon Monoxide round it and for 10 days.

Bob

Point of Order...

I doubt diesel engines produce much CO because of the way they work. Always plenty of oxygen in the combustion chamber so little opportunity for the incomplete combustion that creates CO.

I'd suspect your (presumably) petrol hybrid still chucks out more CO than most diesels, unless the catalytic wossname grabs it all.

Other posters here may be able to clarify....

Gerry557
Lemon Quarter

Postby Gerry557 » August 5th, 2023, 8:17 am

Lootman wrote:

Or more bike lanes lead to more drivers cycling and reduce congestion and lowers pollution.

Then again you might be right. Some bike lanes have been designed and built by people who have never been on a bike or are so full of parked vehicles that cyclists continue on the more congested roads.

jaizan
Lemon Slice

Postby jaizan » August 5th, 2023, 9:01 am

Mike4 wrote:Point of Order...

I doubt diesel engines produce much CO because of the way they work. Always plenty of oxygen in the combustion chamber so little opportunity for the incomplete combustion that creates CO.

I'd suspect your (presumably) petrol hybrid still chucks out more CO than most diesels, unless the catalytic wossname grabs it all.

Agreed. Diesels run lean, so CO is not a significant problem. Then there is a catalyst.
Nitrous oxides and particle pollution would be more of a problem.

servodude
Lemon Half

Postby servodude » August 5th, 2023, 9:37 am

jaizan wrote:

Agreed. Diesels run lean, so CO is not a significant problem. Then there is a catalyst.

Indeed, it's like comparing a chip fat fryer to a badly ventilated calor gas heater

Mike4
Lemon Half

Postby Mike4 » August 5th, 2023, 9:51 am

jaizan wrote:

And all of the above are of course, "also rans" compared to the main problem of CO2.

scotia
Lemon Quarter

Postby scotia » August 5th, 2023, 11:03 am

didds wrote:are the various tracks and routes solely in the middle of glasgow ? I cant imagine the mountain bike and road events are - Id imagine the majority of the distance is well outside the city?

didds

See https://www.glasgowlive.co.uk/news/glasgow-news/glasgow-road-race-city-centre-27457963
for the significant disturbances to the roads in the centre of Glasgow. I'm not surprised taken2often had congestion problems attending a hospital near the city centre.

UncleEbenezer
The full Lemon

Postby UncleEbenezer » August 5th, 2023, 12:38 pm

Gerry557 wrote:Then again you might be right. SomeMost bike lanes have been designed and built by people who have never been on a bike or are so full of parked vehicles that cyclists continue on the more congested roads.

FTFY. And some of the problems with designated bike lanes are a whole lot worse than parked cars.

Mike4 wrote:And all of the above are of course, "also rans" compared to the main problem of CO2.

Long-term and globally, of course. But the other pollutants are much more directly harmful to individual health in the short term (which of course may be lifetime-term for individuals), and are the immediate reason the government is in serious breach of the law.

The good news for cyclists is that we're a lot less exposed to it than motorists. Being higher off the ground makes a huge difference. Being in the open air reduces the buildup if exposed to it for any length of time. And above all, the raised circulation coming from physical exercise means the body is better-equipped to defend itself.

servodude
Lemon Half

Postby servodude » August 5th, 2023, 1:01 pm

scotia wrote:

didds

See https://www.glasgowlive.co.uk/news/glasgow-news/glasgow-road-race-city-centre-27457963
for the significant disturbances to the roads in the centre of Glasgow. I'm not surprised taken2often had congestion problems attending a hospital near the city centre.

Rottenrow?

scotia
Lemon Quarter

Postby scotia » August 5th, 2023, 4:19 pm

servodude wrote:
scotia wrote:See https://www.glasgowlive.co.uk/news/glasgow-news/glasgow-road-race-city-centre-27457963

Rottenrow?

I'm guessing you were referring to the Maternity Hospital in Rotten Row :D As you probably know, It has now moved to the Glasgow Royal Site. I believe the old Rotten Row buildings were demolished by Strathclyde Uni, and are now a public garden.

taken2often
Lemon Slice

Postby taken2often » August 5th, 2023, 4:47 pm

Hi I was at a Hoispital on the outskirsts of glasgow. Between my home and the Hospital is a straight line. This is known as Great Western Road. They have blocked off a part of it for 10 Days. Today I had to make a big loop round, but being Saturday the traffic was lighter. Tomorrow the route will be even worse. I will have to head east to get on to the M8 East. Then Turn round and head back, Go under the city, come off at the Clydeside. Travel along the Clydeside Expressway. Come off and travel up to Anniesland Coss to meet the Great Western Road then head back towards the Hospital which is just outside the closed area.

I could of course walk along the straight line. Or I can take the Underground to Partick, change over to a train that stops at the end of the Hospital Grounds. My old age travel card might make this the best option.

Bob

servodude
Lemon Half

Postby servodude » August 5th, 2023, 11:07 pm

scotia wrote:
servodude wrote:
Rottenrow?

I'm guessing you were referring to the Maternity Hospital in Rotten Row :D As you probably know, It has now moved to the Glasgow Royal Site. I believe the old Rotten Row buildings were demolished by Strathclyde Uni, and are now a public garden.

I actually wasn't aware of that; shows how long since I last had a G postcode :D

scotia
Lemon Quarter

Postby scotia » August 6th, 2023, 6:32 pm

taken2often wrote:
I could of course walk along the straight line. Or I can take the Underground to Partick, change over to a train that stops at the end of the Hospital Grounds. My old age travel card might make this the best option.

Bob

It would also save you from trying to find a spot in the carpark of G Hospital. We use (and pay) for the Hotel car park

Return to “Cycling”