Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to eyeball08,Wondergirly,bofh,johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva, for Donating to support the site

Wow! New Board

Reviews, favourites and suggestions
midnightcatprowl
Lemon Slice

Wow! New Board

Postby midnightcatprowl » December 17th, 2016, 6:55 pm

Wow! New Board. Thanks Stooz and Clariman, much appreciated.

Lynn

amh4

Re: Wow! New Board

Postby amh4 » December 18th, 2016, 9:31 am

What a lovely space - what shall we fill it with, and do we have enough bookshelves?

Anne-Marie

LadyGagarin
2 Lemon pips

Postby LadyGagarin » December 18th, 2016, 9:52 am

This would be the ideal space for a Book Club. On that topic, I was wondering if such a thing might be better on a bi-monthly (rather than monthly) basis, to enable more people to take part, including those who are too busy to stick to the monthly schedule but might still like to join in on a fairly regular basis. What does everyone else think?

midnightcatprowl
Lemon Slice

Postby midnightcatprowl » December 18th, 2016, 12:39 pm

This would be the ideal space for a Book Club. On that topic, I was wondering if such a thing might be better on a bi-monthly (rather than monthly) basis, to enable more people to take part, including those who are too busy to stick to the monthly schedule but might still like to join in on a fairly regular basis. What does everyone else think?

The Fool had a Book Club and one reason some of us (ex-members of The Fool Book Club) have been asking for a 'Books' board is so that we could get going again but via using Book Club threads within the new board rather than having a separate 'Club' as before.

The system we've operated in the past was to choose two books at a time (caters for slow readers and fast readers as well as those with more or less time) and to do so on a bi-monthly basis as you suggest. In fact sometimes we did it on a 'seasonal' basis having found at times (summer holidays, Christmas season) some members at least had less time to read and more people participated if we gave a little longer but this wasn't a system as such just reacting to the numbers of participants who seemed to be around at the time.

It would certainly be good if you and others were interested.

bitstrange

Postby bitstrange » December 18th, 2016, 3:34 pm

I would definitely be interested in a book club. I'm not normally a big reader but I'd like to try and change that and perhaps a bit of structure to it might encourage me. I'll keep an eye on here and do what I can to join in.

Octavia100

Postby Octavia100 » December 19th, 2016, 1:10 pm

I would also be really pleased to join - I love reading and read at least 2 books per week, so am always grateful for suggestions on what's good and what's not.
I've just finished The Couple Next Door and am now reading The Hundred Year Old Man. What is everybody else reading at the moment?

redsturgeon
Lemon Half

Postby redsturgeon » December 19th, 2016, 3:35 pm

Octavia100 wrote:I would also be really pleased to join - I love reading and read at least 2 books per week, so am always grateful for suggestions on what's good and what's not.
I've just finished The Couple Next Door and am now reading The Hundred Year Old Man. What is everybody else reading at the moment?

Read the HYOMWCOTWAD on holiday, good read, I suppose everyone has read the Girl on a Train now. I'm Thinking of Ending Things was an interesting recent read.

John

Octavia100

Postby Octavia100 » December 19th, 2016, 3:55 pm

Thank for the tip, John, re Thinking of Ending Things.. I'll look out for it. Yes, I really enjoyed The Girl on the Train, but I enjoyed The Couple Next Door even more. It is a very fast-paced book with no faffing around, and a great story... it kept me on the edge of my chair all the way through.
I like Michael Connelly's Harry Bosch books, but they're slow in comparison so I couldn't read one straight away, hence THYOMWCOOTWAD to break the mood.
I also want to read the latest Harlen Coben - Fool Me Once. I like his style.
All recommendations are always welcome :)

UncleEbenezer
The full Lemon

Postby UncleEbenezer » December 23rd, 2016, 10:27 am

How does a book club work on a non-synchronous discussion medium like this? I mean, who gets to pick topics, to kick off discussion, to direct discussion? If the answer is "noone and everyone", we have random/undirected discussion, which is fine but not quite what I'd think of as a book club. Is it just a case of coordinating people to read the same book at the same time?

midnightcatprowl
Lemon Slice

Postby midnightcatprowl » December 23rd, 2016, 12:35 pm

we have random/undirected discussion, which is fine but not quite what I'd think of as a book club. Is it just a case of coordinating people to read the same book at the same time?

Well non-virtual Book Clubs actually vary quite a lot going on reports from friends but essentially both they and the 'virtual' Book Club which ran on The Fool from November 2002 until The Fool recently closed the discussion boards share the basic elements of agreeing on the books to be read and then members reviewing or commenting on the books and discussing.

Gyforks

Postby Gyforks » December 23rd, 2016, 3:13 pm

'Lustrum', the second part of Robert Harris's Imperium trilogy. Also trying to get into 'Death in the Andes' by Mario Vargas Llosa after visiting his library in Lima earlier this year. Apparently South America's greatest writer.

MistyMeena

Postby MistyMeena » January 3rd, 2017, 6:18 pm

Very pleased to see this new board (yes, I'm very behind the times), thank you. Hubby's equally as pleased to see the Bitter Lemons board!

Haven't had much reading time over Christmas and The Evolution of Everything by Matt Ridley hasn't been the easiest to concentrate on in short bursts. I have enjoyed reading a couple of Sherlock Holmes stories to my son though.

Return to “Books and Reading”