Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to eyeball08,Wondergirly,bofh,johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva, for Donating to support the site

Helsinki Bus Station Theory

Kit, locations and help
CaledoniaMan

Helsinki Bus Station Theory

Postby CaledoniaMan » January 3rd, 2017, 9:49 am

Apologies to those that have seen this before. I posted it some time ago on the old Fool photography board and thought it was worth re posting again here.

https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyl ... ion-theory

Whilst it is aimed at those who have a chosen genre of photography and trying to develop their own style I am sure the message can be translated across to other parts of life as well.

I can certainly relate to it on a photography basis having returned to the bus station on more than one occasion.

redsturgeon
Lemon Half

Re: Helsinki Bus Station Theory

Postby redsturgeon » January 3rd, 2017, 10:09 am

Thanks for that Cal, I remember the first time you posted it but I had to look again to remind myself what it was about...the memory gets worse with age!

It is indeed a nice metaphor for a good lesson in life.

My father, who first introduced me to photography was a classic serial returner to the bus station...not just in photography though, it was a general hobby thing he had.

First was football and though he was OK he was not great but he played for the company football team, then took on coaching them for a couple of years, then stopped.

Then photography, he had nice Pentax cameras in the early 1960s and a full darkroom set up, did some nice stuff, won some awards, then after a few years, stopped.

Next darts, played most days, won some cups, then fishing, into match fishing, making his own kit, winning some competitions then stopped.

Then bowls, up to county level, then stopped, and fly fishing, tying his own flies very competently then stopped.

Beer making, winemaking, carpentry, bread and cake baking...you name it the pattern was the same. A steep learning curve, basic competency, above average achievement then stop, change course before gaining true mastery and being truly outstanding.

I guess I am similar, I took on a certain genre of photography about ten years ago, became good enough to get published then have just kicked back and although not stopping completely, I have certainly tailed off in my enthusiasm and output.

I many areas of life it requires persistence and determination together with skill to succeed and that is where some of us fall down.

Thanks again for the reminder to stay on the bus!

John

tjh290633
Lemon Half

Re: Helsinki Bus Station Theory

Postby tjh290633 » January 3rd, 2017, 11:46 am

I have used Helsinki bus station once, in 1968, when I took a bus to Karhula and back again, in order to visit a glass factory there, run by Ahlstrom.

We got into trouble through not realising that our coach tickets allocated seats, but the elderly ladies on the coach soon put us right.

I can see the point about how our paths diverge. I think that we stopped in Poorvoo and Lovisa on the way. I think that the final destination was Kotka, and we were collected from there by car.

A much later visit to Finland saw me driving from Helsinki to Taavetti. Lots of snow about.

I might even have some photographs somewhere.

TJH

Return to “Photography”