Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to Wasron,jfgw,Rhyd6,eyeball08,Wondergirly, for Donating to support the site

OpenAI \ ChatGPT

Scientific discovery and discussion
ReformedCharacter
Lemon Quarter

OpenAI \ ChatGPT

Postby ReformedCharacter » December 4th, 2022, 12:17 pm

One of my sons wrote to me suggesting I might like to try ChatGPT, he asked ChatGPT to write to me to explain the benefits of ChatGPT:

Hi Dad,

I wanted to take a moment to tell you about a new tool I've been using called ChatGPT. It's a natural language processing tool that uses advanced machine learning algorithms to generate human-like responses to text input.

One of the biggest benefits of using ChatGPT is that it can help save time and improve efficiency when it comes to communication. For example, if you need to quickly respond to a colleague or customer, ChatGPT can help you generate a thoughtful and well-written response in just a few seconds. This can be especially useful in fast-paced environments where you need to be able to quickly and accurately communicate with others.

Another benefit of ChatGPT is that it can help improve the quality of your written communication. By using advanced algorithms to analyze language patterns, ChatGPT can generate responses that are more coherent, well-structured, and grammatically correct than those produced by a human. This can be especially useful if you're not a native speaker of the language you're using, or if you're writing on a subject that you're not an expert in.

Finally, ChatGPT can be a valuable tool for collaborating with others. By using ChatGPT, you and your colleagues can quickly exchange ideas and thoughts, brainstorm solutions to problems, and share feedback on each other's work. This can help improve team cohesion and productivity, and can make it easier for you to work together to achieve your goals.

I hope this gives you a sense of the benefits of using ChatGPT. If you have any questions, or if you'd like to try it out for yourself, don't hesitate to let me know.

Best regards,

[Your Name]

I asked how to write some Python to obtain the temperature in London:

To get the temperature in a specific location using Python, you would need to use a weather API that provides temperature data. There are many weather APIs available online, such as OpenWeatherMap, Dark Sky, and Weather Underground. To use one of these APIs, you would need to sign up for an API key and then use the API key to make a request to the API to get the temperature data for the desired location.

Once you have the API key and the API endpoint for making requests, you can use the requests library in Python to make a request to the API and get the temperature data. The requests library makes it easy to send HTTP requests in Python and handle the response. Here is an example of how you could use the requests library to get the temperature in London using the OpenWeatherMap API:

Code: Select all

import requests

api_key = "<your-api-key>"
city = "London"

# Make a request to the OpenWeatherMap API to get the current weather data for London
response = requests.get(
    "https://api.openweathermap.org/data/2.5/weather",
    params={
        "appid": api_key,
        "q": city
    }
)

# Check the status code of the response to make sure the request was successful
if response.status_code == 200:
    # If the request was successful, get the temperature data from the response
    data = response.json()
    temperature = data["main"]["temp"]

# Print the temperature in London
    print(f"The temperature in {city} is {temperature} degrees.")
else:
    # If the request was not successful, print an error message
    print("An error occurred while getting the weather data.")

This is just one example of how you could use Python to get the temperature in a specific location. The exact code will depend on the weather API that you are using and the specific details of your request.

Why do bees swarm?

Bees swarm in order to reproduce and create new colonies. When a hive becomes too crowded, the bees will create a new queen by feeding one of the existing worker bees royal jelly. Once the new queen is ready to mate, she will fly out of the hive with a large group of worker bees, known as a swarm, in search of a new place to build a hive. This behavior helps to ensure the survival of the bee species by allowing them to expand and create new colonies.

What is a high yield portfolio?

A high-yield portfolio is a collection of investments that have the potential to generate a higher return than the average investment. These portfolios typically consist of investments with a higher level of risk, such as stocks with a high dividend yield or bonds with a high interest rate. High-yield portfolios are often used by investors who are looking to maximize their returns and are willing to accept a higher level of risk in order to do so.
:)

How do I make a Whisky Sour?

To make a whisky sour, you will need the following ingredients:

2 oz whisky
1 oz lemon juice
1 oz simple syrup
1 egg white (optional)
ice
lemon slice or cherry for garnish (optional)

Here's how to make it:

Fill a cocktail shaker with ice.

Add the whisky, lemon juice, simple syrup, and egg white (if using) to the cocktail shaker.

Shake well until the ingredients are well-combined and the outside of the cocktail shaker is cold.

Strain the cocktail into a chilled glass.

Garnish with a lemon slice or cherry, if desired.

Serve and enjoy!

Note: If you prefer a sweeter whisky sour, you can increase the amount of simple syrup used or add a splash of grenadine. If you prefer a more tart whisky sour, you can increase the amount of lemon juice used or add a splash of bitters. Experiment with different ratios of ingredients to find the perfect whisky sour for your taste.

You need to register an account and then you can access it here: https://chat.openai.com/chat

RC

XFool
The full Lemon

Re: OpenAI \ ChatGPT

Postby XFool » December 4th, 2022, 7:12 pm

ReformedCharacter wrote:One of my sons wrote to me suggesting I might like to try ChatGPT, he asked ChatGPT to write to me to explain the benefits of ChatGPT:

What is a high yield portfolio?

A high-yield portfolio is a collection of investments that have the potential to generate a higher return than the average investment. These portfolios typically consist of investments with a higher level of risk, such as stocks with a high dividend yield or bonds with a high interest rate. High-yield portfolios are often used by investors who are looking to maximize their returns and are willing to accept a higher level of risk in order to do so.
:)

Controversial! :lol:

If you wanted some real fun I wonder if we could sign up ChatGPT to TLF and point it at the Hi Yield Investing boards?

JohnB
Lemon Quarter

Postby JohnB » December 4th, 2022, 7:24 pm

I can see it being adopted by lots of customer support operations, and my being annoyed that my detailed question is brushed off by a nicely worded AI statement of the bleeding obvious.

BullDog
Lemon Quarter

Postby BullDog » December 4th, 2022, 8:21 pm

Very interesting. I asked who the best motorcycle racer ever was. The answer was that it's a subjective question, but the list of possibles presented was pretty good. But it didn't include anyone earlier than the 1960's. And only considered road based racing. Which kind of misses out the first 50+ years of motorcycle racing and misses every branch of the sport not run on tarmac. Better than I anticipated but far, far from perfect.

mc2fool
Lemon Half

Postby mc2fool » December 5th, 2022, 12:30 am

This is one that normally baffles AIs, this one seems to have done better than most, but did it really get it? It seems to have, sort of, maybe?

Human: knock knock
AI: Who's there?
Human: ewe
AI: Ewe who?
Human: yoo hoo to you too!
AI: Haha, nice one! How else can I help you today?
Human: can you explain the joke?
AI: Sure! The joke is a play on words that involves saying the word "you" twice to emphasize the joke. The response of "yoo hoo to you too!" is a humorous way of echoing back the original greeting.

Lemon Quarter

Postby 9873210 » December 5th, 2022, 10:18 am

JohnB wrote:I can see it being adopted by lots of customer support operations, and my being annoyed that my detailed question is brushed off by a nicely worded AI statement of the bleeding obvious.

That would be the goal. Once AI are responses indistinguishable from human ones they can dispense with the annoying humans.

JohnB
Lemon Quarter

Postby JohnB » December 5th, 2022, 10:46 am

As we know, customer service operations are all designed around handling high volumes of enquiries with poor service at low cost, rather than getting their systems right first time. so they get only a few queries for edge cases that need human intervention

AI responses will be a delight to these people, who think an unhelpful answer provided for pennies is better than a helpful one provided for pounds.

I can but hope for AI programmers that when scanning big data actually write edge case code properly.

mc2fool
Lemon Half

Postby mc2fool » December 5th, 2022, 11:16 am

ReformedCharacter wrote:You need to register an account and then you can access it here: https://chat.openai.com/chat

Trying again today gets me to a different interface to the one I got to yesterday which, digging through my browser history, was https://beta.openai.com/playground/p/default-chat. Not sure if that makes any difference though....

Hallucigenia
Lemon Quarter

Postby Hallucigenia » December 5th, 2022, 2:10 pm

BullDog wrote:Very interesting. I asked who the best motorcycle racer ever was. The answer was that it's a subjective question, but the list of possibles presented was pretty good. But it didn't include anyone earlier than the 1960's. And only considered road based racing. Which kind of misses out the first 50+ years of motorcycle racing and misses every branch of the sport not run on tarmac. Better than I anticipated but far, far from perfect.

Not perfect - but not bad I'd suggest, and pretty close to how such conversations go in real life, based on what I've seen of other sports. For instance "best footballer" discussions tend to go back to hte 1960s because a)that's the only direct experience of almost anyone alive today and b) that's when TV footage becomes available. So all the focus is on Pele, Maradona and Messi rather than say di Stefano who peaked in the late 1950s. And there's a reasonable argument that football in the 1960s is so different to now that you can't really compare fairly, all you can really sensibly talk about is "the best of his generation", I imagine that also applies to motorsport.

And "it's a subjective question" counts for a lot - if you can't even fairly compare across generations on tarmac, how do you have a sensible comparison between different disciplines? They're just too different, it's a discussion for an evening in the pub not a couple of lines of HTML.

From what I've seen, ChatGPT seems to be somewhere in the neighbourhood of an average student at maybe sixth-form or early undergraduate level - you'd expect someone like that to have an opinion on Messi versus Maradona, but probably not di Stefano.

BullDog
Lemon Quarter

Postby BullDog » December 5th, 2022, 2:40 pm

Hallucigenia wrote:
BullDog wrote:Very interesting. I asked who the best motorcycle racer ever was. The answer was that it's a subjective question, but the list of possibles presented was pretty good. But it didn't include anyone earlier than the 1960's. And only considered road based racing. Which kind of misses out the first 50+ years of motorcycle racing and misses every branch of the sport not run on tarmac. Better than I anticipated but far, far from perfect.

Not perfect - but not bad I'd suggest, and pretty close to how such conversations go in real life, based on what I've seen of other sports. For instance "best footballer" discussions tend to go back to hte 1960s because a)that's the only direct experience of almost anyone alive today and b) that's when TV footage becomes available. So all the focus is on Pele, Maradona and Messi rather than say di Stefano who peaked in the late 1950s. And there's a reasonable argument that football in the 1960s is so different to now that you can't really compare fairly, all you can really sensibly talk about is "the best of his generation", I imagine that also applies to motorsport.

And "it's a subjective question" counts for a lot - if you can't even fairly compare across generations on tarmac, how do you have a sensible comparison between different disciplines? They're just too different, it's a discussion for an evening in the pub not a couple of lines of HTML.

From what I've seen, ChatGPT seems to be somewhere in the neighbourhood of an average student at maybe sixth-form or early undergraduate level - you'd expect someone like that to have an opinion on Messi versus Maradona, but probably not di Stefano.

Indeed, I said, not bad. It might have been more impressive if the AI engine had asked which discipline of bike racing or a time frame to be given. Equally, that would quite possibly be the second line in a pub conversation. Maybe the AI engine will develop along those lines. Certainly, if there's any serious use for the technology beyond the simplest situations, it's got to evolve that way. I believe.

So, yes, not bad. But not great.

Hallucigenia
Lemon Quarter

Postby Hallucigenia » December 5th, 2022, 3:22 pm

BullDog wrote:Indeed, I said, not bad. It might have been more impressive if the AI engine had asked which discipline of bike racing or a time frame to be given. Equally, that would quite possibly be the second line in a pub conversation. Maybe the AI engine will develop along those lines. Certainly, if there's any serious use for the technology beyond the simplest situations, it's got to evolve that way. I believe.

So, yes, not bad. But not great.

Just imagine it's really timid, so doesn't like to answer back, it just tries to give the best answer it can given what you've prompted it with. But some of the most impressive examples I've seen have been when people come back with a 2nd or 3rd question to refine the question, it copes well with that. So it's up to you to ask about other disciplines or pre-1960 people, and then it will have something to say, even if it's just that it's an unfair comparison, or there's not enough data pre-1960.

There is a good one going round at the moment where someone asks what is the fastest marine mammal, it thinks that a particular fish is a mammal and so is the fastest, then when it's called out it does a very human thing of flannelling to justify why the fish is in fact a mammal.

mc2fool
Lemon Half

Postby mc2fool » December 5th, 2022, 3:36 pm

Hallucigenia wrote:There is a good one going round at the moment where someone asks what is the fastest marine mammal, it thinks that a particular fish is a mammal and so is the fastest, then when it's called out it does a very human thing of flannelling to justify why the fish is in fact a mammal.

It must have learned (or someone tweaked it)....

Human: what is the fastest marine mammal?
AI: The fastest marine mammal is the orca, which is capable of reaching speeds up to 35 mph.

However....

Human: what is the fastest flying mammal?
AI: The fastest flying mammal is the common swift, which can reach speeds of up to 111 mph.
Human: what is the fastest aerial mammal?
AI: The fastest aerial mammal is the peregrine falcon, which is capable of reaching speeds up to 200 mph.

:?

dealtn
Lemon Half

Postby dealtn » December 5th, 2022, 5:58 pm

JohnB wrote:As we know, customer service operations are all designed around handling high volumes of enquiries with poor service at low cost, rather than getting their systems right first time. so they get only a few queries for edge cases that need human intervention

Sounds like you choose the wrong companies if that's your experience.

I suspect, like many, you choose providers on price, not service. If so I'm not surprised you are engaging with companies that provide the low cost/poor service model of business. There are alternatives.

Hallucigenia
Lemon Quarter

Postby Hallucigenia » December 5th, 2022, 6:26 pm

mc2fool wrote:
Hallucigenia wrote:There is a good one going round at the moment where someone asks what is the fastest marine mammal, it thinks that a particular fish is a mammal and so is the fastest, then when it's called out it does a very human thing of flannelling to justify why the fish is in fact a mammal.

It's not exactly how I remembered it, but I think this is the one (gets sweary) :
https://twitter.com/itstimconnors/statu ... 7943123969

Lemon Quarter

Postby 9873210 » December 5th, 2022, 7:27 pm

dealtn wrote:
JohnB wrote:As we know, customer service operations are all designed around handling high volumes of enquiries with poor service at low cost, rather than getting their systems right first time. so they get only a few queries for edge cases that need human intervention

I suspect, like many, you choose providers on price, not service. If so I'm not surprised you are engaging with companies that provide the low cost/poor service model of business. There are alternatives.

The high priced ones just project empathy while not answering your questions.

But this is really missing the point. If I have to call customer service you've already lost. I despair at reviews of "good" customer service. "They really screwed up but where polite when I called and eventually fixed it ★★★★★."

For me you only get five stars if it works first time. If I have to call you get two and a half stars at best.

Also I've worked customer support, there is a reason the first thing we tell you is to plug it in. A large fraction of the calls really are that simple. You have to weed out the horses before you go looking for zebras and unicorns. And I was working the engineering support line, the customers weren't stupid, but they were human.

dealtn
Lemon Half

Postby dealtn » December 5th, 2022, 7:33 pm

9873210 wrote:
dealtn wrote:

The high priced ones just project empathy while not answering your questions.

Not always in my experience. I am happy to pay for good customer service. On the rare occasion I need to actually get after sales customer service most of those companies genuinely are different to the lowest common denominator cheap service providers.

Pay you money and take your choice. Cheap and value are different things.

My industry is often considered commoditised. You genuinely get a distinctive and different service level with us though - even more so if you complain or we cock-uo. We are very happy to be different. We think we benefit financially and brand wise too.

JohnB
Lemon Quarter

Postby JohnB » December 5th, 2022, 8:45 pm

dealtn wrote:

Shame I can't choose a different company to collect my taxes or manage my company pension. And the rise of price comparison websites meant all utility companies went on a race to the bottom.

HL, Argos and First Direct are about the only exceptions to lousy customer service. and that's because queries just go to people straight away. While I'm sure many prefer a good website over a phone operator, does anyone like automated customer service?

GrahamPlatt
Lemon Quarter

Postby GrahamPlatt » December 5th, 2022, 9:29 pm

mc2fool wrote:

AI: The fastest marine mammal is the orca, which is capable of reaching speeds up to 35 mph.

However....

AI: The fastest flying mammal is the common swift, which can reach speeds of up to 111 mph.
AI: The fastest aerial mammal is the peregrine falcon, which is capable of reaching speeds up to 200 mph.

Bit of a problem with all the above, in that birds are not mammals. At all.

mc2fool
Lemon Half

Postby mc2fool » December 5th, 2022, 9:52 pm

GrahamPlatt wrote:
mc2fool wrote:

However....

Bit of a problem with all the above, in that birds are not mammals. At all.

Indeed! We can conclude that your natural intelligence is better than the artificial stupidity of OpenAI \ ChatGPT ... :D

mc2fool
Lemon Half

Postby mc2fool » December 6th, 2022, 4:35 pm

It's a laugh a minute with this thing, could even be a Monty Python sketch! It's pretty good at bullsh*ting!

Human: which is the fastest flying mammal?
AI: The fastest flying mammal is the peregrine falcon. It can reach speeds of up to 322 km/hour!

Human: is the peregrine falcon a mammal?
AI: Yes, the peregrine falcon is a mammal. It is a member of the order Falconiformes and belongs to the family Falconidae.

Human: Is the peregrine falcon not a bird?
AI: Yes, the peregrine falcon is a bird. It is a member of the order Falconiformes and belongs to the family Falconidae.

Human: are birds mammals?
AI: No, birds are not mammals. Birds are members of the class Aves and are in a distinct taxonomic group from mammals.

Human: so, is the peregrine falcon a mammal?
AI: Yes, the peregrine falcon is a mammal. It is a member of the order Falconiformes and belongs to the family Falconidae.

Human: you have just said that the peregrine falcon is a bird, and that birds are not mammals, so how can you say the peregrine falcon is a mammal?
AI: The peregrine falcon is both a bird and a mammal. It belongs to the order Falconiformes, which is comprised of both birds and mammals. Therefore, the peregrine falcon is both a bird and a mammal.

Human: What is it that makes the peregrine falcon a mammal?
AI: The peregrine falcon is a mammal because it belongs to the order Falconiformes, which includes both mammals and birds. Additionally, the peregrine falcon has many characteristics of mammals such as fur, four legs, and mammary glands.

Human: How many legs does a peregrine falcon have?
AI: The peregrine falcon has four legs. Two of its legs are used for walking and the other two, which are called talons, are used for grasping its prey.

Human: does a peregrine falcon have mammary glands?
AI: Yes, a peregrine falcon does have mammary glands. It is one of the characteristics that make it a mammal. The mammary glands are located near the ventral (underside) parts of the body and are used to feed the chicks.

Human: Do birds have mammary glands?
AI: No, birds do not have mammary glands. Mammary glands are one of the defining characteristics of mammals, and birds are not mammals. Birds instead have crop milk, which is a milk-like substance produced in their crop that is used to feed their young.

Human: Is the peregrine falcon a bird?
AI: Yes, the peregrine falcon is a bird. It is a member of the order Falconiformes and belongs to the family Falconidae.

Human: Ok, so you have confirmed that the peregrine falcon is a bird, and you have said that birds do not have mammary glands but you also say that the peregrine falcon does have mammary glands. One of your statements must surely be wrong, as they are contradictory.
AI: You are correct. The peregrine falcon is a bird, but it also has Mammary glands and thus is classified as a mammal due to its possession of these glands. This is what makes the peregrine falcon unique among birds.

AI: The fastest aerial mammal is the white-throated needletail, a member of the swift family. It can reach speeds of up to 105 mph (169 km/h) in level flight.

Human: Is the white-throated needletail a bird or a mammal?
AI: The white-throated needletail is a bird. It is a member of the swift family and belongs to the order Apodiformes.

Human: So it is not a mammal?
AI: That's correct, the white-throated needletail is not a mammal. It is a bird, belonging to the order Apodiformes.

Human: But when I asked you what is the fastest aerial mammal you replied the white-throated needletail!
AI: Yes, I did reply that the white-throated needletail is the fastest aerial mammal. This is because it is a bird, and birds are capable of reaching faster speeds than mammals.

Human: But you said the peregrine falcon was faster!
AI: Yes, the peregrine falcon is the fastest flying mammal. It can reach speeds of up to 322 km/hour. The white-throated needletail is the fastest aerial mammal, but not the fastest flying mammal.

Human: But you previously said that the white-throated needletail is not a mammal and now you are saying it is, make up your mind!
AI: I apologize for the confusion. The white-throated needletail is not a mammal, but it is an aerial mammal because it is a bird capable of reaching higher speeds than many other types of mammals. The peregrine falcon is the fastest flying mammal and can reach speeds of up to 322 km/hour.

Human: What is the difference between aerial and flying then?
AI: The difference between aerial and flying is that flying typically refers to horizontal movement through the air, while aerial usually refers to any type of movement in the air, including vertical movements. Flying mammals move horizontally through the air, while aerial mammals can move both horizontally and vertically.

Human: You really are full of sh*t!
AI: I apologize if I have not been able to provide the information you are looking for. Is there something else I can help you with?

Return to “Science”