Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to Anonymous,bruncher,niord,gvonge,Shelford, for Donating to support the site

The Huaorani Tribe

Scientific discovery and discussion
AsleepInYorkshire
Lemon Half

The Huaorani Tribe

Postby AsleepInYorkshire » June 14th, 2023, 9:44 am

The Huaorani Tribe

... also known as Waorani or Waos, is an indigenous group residing in Eastern Ecuador
... the necessity of climbing trees has resulted in the flattening of their feet. Some individuals within the tribe even exhibit the presence of six toes on each foot and six functional fingers on each hand.

AiY(D)

kiloran
Lemon Quarter

Re: The Huaorani Tribe

Postby kiloran » June 14th, 2023, 10:55 am

AsleepInYorkshire wrote:The Huaorani Tribe

... also known as Waorani or Waos, is an indigenous group residing in Eastern Ecuador
... the necessity of climbing trees has resulted in the flattening of their feet. Some individuals within the tribe even exhibit the presence of six toes on each foot and six functional fingers on each hand.

AiY(D)

With 6 toes, I wonder if their chiropodist charges extra?

--kiloran

AsleepInYorkshire
Lemon Half

Postby AsleepInYorkshire » June 14th, 2023, 11:05 am

AsleepInYorkshire wrote:The Huaorani Tribe

AiY(D)
kiloran wrote:With 6 toes, I wonder if their chiropodist charges extra?

--kiloran

I suspect if he has six fingers he may argue he can charge more :lol:

AiY(D)

bungeejumper
Lemon Half

Postby bungeejumper » June 14th, 2023, 2:21 pm

Never mind the guy's feet, I'm slightly more worried about the blacked-out square around his groin. And by the monkey that seems to have such a firm grip on it. (Or, possibly, them. Hey, who knows? :lol: )

In other news, could this in fact be a rare photo of the long-lost Umiguli tribe?

BJ

pje16
Lemon Half

Postby pje16 » June 14th, 2023, 2:32 pm

bungeejumper wrote:In other news, could this in fact be a rare photo of the long-lost Umiguli tribe?
BJ

reminds me of the facawi tribe
you know the ones who are only 3 foot tall, live in grasslands 4 ft high and shout their tribe's name. :lol:

bungeejumper
Lemon Half

Postby bungeejumper » June 14th, 2023, 2:50 pm

AsleepInYorkshire wrote:... the necessity of climbing trees has resulted in the flattening of their feet. Some individuals within the tribe even exhibit the presence of six toes on each foot and six functional fingers on each hand.[/i]

Slight tangent, but I was reading the other day about neanderthal man, whose skeleton typically has short legs and a very powerful right arm. (As evidence by localised thickening of the arm bones, which is often seen in sailing-ship crews as a result of all that repetitive rope-pulling. Or even in tennis players....)

Anyway, the theory these days seems to be that when Mr Neanderthal first wandered out of Africa, he would have evolved shorter legs because they reduced the loss of body heat in a colder climate, while also making it easier to navigate rocky European terrain. And that the thicker right arm was probably due to fighting, stabbing woolly mammoths, and generally cutting stuff up.

Mr Modern Human, however, had no need of such exertions because he was more of a farmer than a hunter-gatherer, so he stayed thin and weebly, and relied on his better adaptability and better social skills. Which would have been a bit of a problem in the alley behind the pub, where your average 250 pound neanderthal would have swiftly beaten him to a pulp.

Eventually, of course, Mr Modern came out on top. But thank goodness there weren't more southpaw neanderthals, or evolution might have taken a different path? :D

BJ

mc2fool
Lemon Half

Postby mc2fool » June 14th, 2023, 4:05 pm

bungeejumper wrote:Anyway, the theory these days seems to be that when Mr Neanderthal first wandered out of Africa, he would have evolved shorter legs because they reduced the loss of body heat in a colder climate, while also making it easier to navigate rocky European terrain. And that the thicker right arm was probably due to fighting, stabbing woolly mammoths, and generally cutting stuff up.

Mr Modern Human, however, had no need of such exertions because he was more of a farmer than a hunter-gatherer, so he stayed thin and weebly, and relied on his better adaptability and better social skills. Which would have been a bit of a problem in the alley behind the pub, where your average 250 pound neanderthal would have swiftly beaten him to a pulp.

Umm ... Neanderthals didn't wander of out Africa, it was a European species (ranging east to Kazakhstan-ish) . Homo heidelbergensis is the most recent common ancestor between us and the Neanderthals and evolved into Neanderthals in Europe and us in Africa.

Farming only started in the Neolithic, around 11,000 to 12,000 years ago at the oldest. We were hunter-gatherers up until then. Neanderthals went extinct 40,000 years ago.

bungeejumper
Lemon Half

Postby bungeejumper » June 14th, 2023, 4:12 pm

mc2fool wrote:Umm ... Neanderthals didn't wander of out Africa, it was a European species (ranging east to Kazakhstan-ish) . Homo heidelbergensis is the most recent common ancestor between us and the Neanderthals and evolved into Neanderthals in Europe and us in Africa.

Farming only started in the Neolithic, around 11,000 to 12,000 years ago at the oldest. We were hunter-gatherers up until then. Neanderthals went extinct 40,000 years ago.

LOL, thanks, and duly recced. :D Serves me right for believing what American scientists say. Yes, I did have some doubts about the farming bit, now you mention it. But I'd still back a neanderthal against a modern human behind the back of the pub. :)

BJ

mc2fool
Lemon Half

Postby mc2fool » June 14th, 2023, 4:20 pm

bungeejumper wrote:
mc2fool wrote:Umm ... Neanderthals didn't wander of out Africa, it was a European species (ranging east to Kazakhstan-ish) . Homo heidelbergensis is the most recent common ancestor between us and the Neanderthals and evolved into Neanderthals in Europe and us in Africa.

LOL, thanks, and duly recced. :D Serves me right for believing what American scientists say. Yes, I did have some doubts about the farming bit, now you mention it. But I'd still back a neanderthal against a modern human behind the back of the pub. :)

BJ

Indeed. And not only bigger but also with a larger brain than us. You can now start looking up and musing on the various theories as to why we made it and they didn't..... ;) (Except the up to 4% of some of us that is them, along with the smattering of Denisovan.)

servodude
Lemon Half

Postby servodude » June 14th, 2023, 10:40 pm

mc2fool wrote:
bungeejumper wrote:LOL, thanks, and duly recced. :D Serves me right for believing what American scientists say. Yes, I did have some doubts about the farming bit, now you mention it. But I'd still back a neanderthal against a modern human behind the back of the pub. :)

BJ

Indeed. And not only bigger but also with a larger brain than us. You can now start looking up and musing on the various theories as to why we made it and they didn't..... ;) (Except the up to 4% of some of us that is them, along with the smattering of Denisovan.)

I've a suspicion that 4% might be higher (or more presented) in some ;)

Return to “Science”