Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to Wasron,jfgw,Rhyd6,eyeball08,Wondergirly, for Donating to support the site

Battery tech

Scientific discovery and discussion
Lemon Quarter

Re: Battery tech

Postby 9873210 » March 14th, 2024, 2:23 pm

odysseus2000 wrote:Most UK people live in homes built before good insulation was considered necessary & mandated by government, that includes most houses built before the 21st century.

Many houses in the UK were built without central heating. Installing central heating was a big and expensive job, yet people found the money. People find the money to remove chimney breasts to gain a few cubic meters of space and more money to install fake chimneys because of government fiat.

Cavity walls were introduced for a reason, and it wasn't so you could put insulation in the cavity. The many houses without cavity walls are in need of serious renovation, or replacement. Government doesn't need to mandate that, but current policy is to prohibit it.

odysseus2000
Lemon Half

Postby odysseus2000 » March 14th, 2024, 8:08 pm

9873210 wrote:
odysseus2000 wrote:Most UK people live in homes built before good insulation was considered necessary & mandated by government, that includes most houses built before the 21st century.

Many houses in the UK were built without central heating. Installing central heating was a big and expensive job, yet people found the money. People find the money to remove chimney breasts to gain a few cubic meters of space and more money to install fake chimneys because of government fiat.

Cavity walls were introduced for a reason, and it wasn't so you could put insulation in the cavity. The many houses without cavity walls are in need of serious renovation, or replacement. Government doesn't need to mandate that, but current policy is to prohibit it.

Attempts were made in the 1970’s to remove a lot of ‘slum housing” & replace it with high rise blocks of flat that had all modern conveniences.The government ran advertising about lack of space & even used images of Lemmings killing themselves as their population was too big. These were faked in Canada, but shown to uk school children as the reason to save space & build upwards.

Developers made a fortune, in some places they added flammable insulation that eventually lead to a tragedy, but setting aside all those who were killed at Grenfell towers, the quality of life for many high rise flat dwellers was often terrible with lift failures, ambush points for muggers & a whole host of inconveniences & such.

In Manchester many of the flats were abandoned & then rented out to students & even students found troubles & avoided them.

One can certainly argue that these were exceptions & should not detract from the need to modernize the UK housing stock, but on the other hand what we have now works for many & can be operated in a low carbon manor as the cost of both renewable generation & storage continues to fall.

One can argue that the tendency to build on good farm land as encouraged by all political parties while our towns, cities & villages decline is not a good idea & we need more renovations or tear down & replace in all the old population centres, but doing this in ways were the folk who live there, tax payers & such don’t get ripped off & developers make a fortune for shoddy work relies on good, competent & low corruption politicians, but we rarely get any of them.

I am kind of left feeling that muddling through & letting new buyers modernize houses as previous generations leave is as good a way as any.

Science has provided engineers with the knowledge to make any old house much better & comfortable than it was for previous generations & over decades folk will slowly improve the housing stock.

Regards,

hiriskpaul
Lemon Quarter

Postby hiriskpaul » March 18th, 2024, 1:40 pm

hiriskpaul wrote:
clissold345 wrote:
Keep an open mind! Battery chemistries can be mixed under certain circumstances. Safety is important to you. What's the best way of improving safety? Fast charging is important to you. So yes if a B2B provides faster charging, it makes sense for you to have one. I hope you find the facebook group useful!

Safest way would be not to charge off the alternator at all! Which might work if I had sufficient capacity. I need to try and size it better, but I reckon on about 50Ah per day, maybe a little less when at anchor or somewhere with no shore power, so 350Ah should last a week. Probably enough and could extend with a small amount of solar.

Alternator charging is very inefficient, but in emergencies I could connect up with a long cable, but switched off most of the time :)

I have just ordered 4 280Ah LiFePO4 cells, a 200Ah BMS and case from Fogstar. I bought B cells for £65 each, so with extra costs of cable, etc the battery should cost less than £400. This is a great price for a 280Ah battery and B cells are fine for my use.

I intend to mostly charge on shore power, so I will experiment with the long connection lead technique for alternator charging. I will need around 10m of cable in any case (5m each red/black) to reach the place I intend to locate the battery, which may well be about right with 6mm cable.

Thanks for bringing up the long cable approach!

odysseus2000
Lemon Half

Postby odysseus2000 » April 1st, 2024, 10:10 am

Catl offer battery with guaranteed 1 million mile life & no degradation during the first 1000 charges, so if a vehicle does 500 miles per charge, it should see no battery degradation for the first half million miles:

https://www.notebookcheck.net/Electric- ... 405.0.html

Regards,

Return to “Science”