Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to gpadsa,Steffers0,lansdown,Wasron,jfgw, for Donating to support the site

Wind-powered freighters?

Scientific discovery and discussion
stevensfo
Lemon Quarter

Wind-powered freighters?

Postby stevensfo » August 21st, 2023, 12:17 pm

Cars are going back to electric, which predates the use of petrol and diesel. Now we have a return to sailing!

It seems that first results are better than expected.

https://uk.news.yahoo.com/world-first-w ... 00206.html

As an amateur sailor, I know how even a light breeze can get a dinghy sailing quite fast with the sails positioned correctly.

But no crows nest? Hornblower will be turning in his fictional grave.

Steve

Tedx
Lemon Quarter

Re: Wind-powered freighters?

Postby Tedx » August 21st, 2023, 12:28 pm

Reminds me of 'Giant kites could pull cargo ships across the ocean'

https://edition.cnn.com/2023/06/30/trav ... index.html

I remember reading about the idea years ago, but we dont seem all that much further on to me.

DrFfybes
Lemon Quarter

Postby DrFfybes » August 21st, 2023, 12:40 pm

I'd envisaged some sort of turbine similar to the wing shown which drove the propellor and charged batteries for when the wind dropped, coupled with some sort of solar panel arrangement and a generator as backup.

This looks like a giant Monty Python hand should reach down with a large key and wind it up :)

stevensfo
Lemon Quarter

Postby stevensfo » August 21st, 2023, 12:44 pm

Tedx wrote:Reminds me of 'Giant kites could pull cargo ships across the ocean'

https://edition.cnn.com/2023/06/30/trav ... index.html

I remember reading about the idea years ago, but we dont seem all that much further on to me.

Actually the use of kites is mentioned in the article.

They didn't continue, maybe due to lack of control? Probably best to have sails that are attached to the vessel than a large and potentially dangerous kite high above, swinging all over the place and ready to crash down when the wind drops.

Steve

Urbandreamer
Lemon Quarter

Postby Urbandreamer » August 21st, 2023, 1:05 pm

stevensfo wrote:Actually the use of kites is mentioned in the article.

They didn't continue, maybe due to lack of control? Probably best to have sails that are attached to the vessel than a large and potentially dangerous kite high above, swinging all over the place and ready to crash down when the wind drops.

Steve

Kites are a great idea for efficiency, provided that you want force in the direction that the wind (trade wind) is blowing. Not so good if you want your force in a slightly different direction. Sort of the difference between square rig sails and gaff sails.

I'm sure that you know and understand, but for others I hunted this link.
https://www.unediscoveryvoyager.org.au/ ... p-physics/

JohnB
Lemon Quarter

Postby JohnB » August 21st, 2023, 1:15 pm

At least this article mentioned the %age fuel saving, 30%, unlike the daft BBC who just quoted the absolute value.,

ReformedCharacter
Lemon Quarter

Postby ReformedCharacter » August 21st, 2023, 1:18 pm

DrFfybes wrote:I'd envisaged some sort of turbine similar to the wing shown which drove the propellor and charged batteries for when the wind dropped, coupled with some sort of solar panel arrangement and a generator as backup.

This looks like a giant Monty Python hand should reach down with a large key and wind it up :)

About 45 years ago, I wondered if a kite attached to a spool and generator could provide useful power. It looks like someone has tried it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FJmlt3_dOuA

RC

stevensfo
Lemon Quarter

Postby stevensfo » August 21st, 2023, 1:29 pm

Urbandreamer wrote:
stevensfo wrote:Actually the use of kites is mentioned in the article.

Steve

Kites are a great idea for efficiency, provided that you want force in the direction that the wind (trade wind) is blowing. Not so good if you want your force in a slightly different direction. Sort of the difference between square rig sails and gaff sails.

I'm sure that you know and understand, but for others I hunted this link.
https://www.unediscoveryvoyager.org.au/ ... p-physics/

So you use a spinnaker. Like a large kite but attached to the front of the boat and controlled along with the sails. You have more control. Much easier and safer than having a bloody great sheet in the clouds that could drop on you at any second.

Steve

PS I have only once sailed on another person's boat where they used a spinnaker. Unless in a race, they're a pain in the proverbial! 8-)

scotia
Lemon Quarter

Postby scotia » August 22nd, 2023, 10:24 am

stevensfo wrote:Cars are going back to electric, which predates the use of petrol and diesel. Now we have a return to sailing!

It seems that first results are better than expected.

https://uk.news.yahoo.com/world-first-w ... 00206.html

As an amateur sailor, I know how even a light breeze can get a dinghy sailing quite fast with the sails positioned correctly.

But no crows nest? Hornblower will be turning in his fictional grave.

Steve

Rotor sails have been around for some time, and appear to have had some success
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rotor_ship

bungeejumper
Lemon Half

Postby bungeejumper » August 23rd, 2023, 12:55 pm

DrFfybes wrote:I'd envisaged some sort of turbine similar to the wing shown which drove the propellor and charged batteries for when the wind dropped, coupled with some sort of solar panel arrangement and a generator as backup.

I'd imagined the same sort of thing, right up until the moment when I realised it would throb-throb-throb mercilessly, 24 hours a day. You'd have the crew going mad and jumping overboard within a week. :?

It might have worked better if the turbine had been anchored down to a fixed point, but unfortunately there aren't many of those in the middle of the ocean, so the next best thing they could attach it to was the ship's hull. Which was ultimately attached to your bunk. :D Sweet dreams.

BJ

Tedx
Lemon Quarter

Postby Tedx » August 23rd, 2023, 1:00 pm

Surely the wind turbine would cause extra drag and the ship would have to burn more fuel to push it forward?

DrFfybes
Lemon Quarter

Postby DrFfybes » August 23rd, 2023, 1:07 pm

Tedx wrote:Surely the wind turbine would cause extra drag and the ship would have to burn more fuel to push it forward?

Compared to water drag on the hull it would be negligable when in a neutral position, and the gains when it was working would more than compensate.

bungeejumper wrote:It might have worked better if the turbine had been anchored down to a fixed point, but unfortunately there aren't many of those in the middle of the ocean, so the next best thing they could attach it to was the ship's hull. Which was ultimately attached to your bunk. :D Sweet dreams.

Back to hammocks then :)

Return to “Science”