Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to jfgw,Rhyd6,eyeball08,Wondergirly,bofh, for Donating to support the site

Bluecrest Health Screening

Fitness tips, Relaxation, Mind and Body
UncleEbenezer
The full Lemon

Bluecrest Health Screening

Postby UncleEbenezer » January 10th, 2017, 10:48 am

I have junkmail from some folks calling themselves Bluecrest Health Screening. They're "on the road" and will be in a venue near me in a few weeks.

Being of a certain age, I have been aware for some time that my health is more uncertain than of old. I've asked the NHS about a "health MOT" a few times, especially since passing the age where my father had his [big event], but they seem to be limited to five minutes taking my blood pressure.

Bluecrest's offering promises for £130 what BUPA and Nuffield offer for something in the £500 ballpark. I had a Nuffield test about seven years ago (courtesy of my then-employer), and they certainly did a lot more testing than the NHS. On the other hand, if they find something, all they can do is refer me straight back to my GP.

Anyone know, on a scale from save-your-life to pander-to-hypochondria, what these screenings are worth? Are Bluecrest any good? And how big a pinch of salt should I apply to their claim over equivalence to much more expensive screening?

Raptor
Lemon Quarter

Re: Bluecrest Health Screening

Postby Raptor » January 10th, 2017, 2:02 pm

You may want to read this. A few years old but still relevant.

Health screening: top doctors attack 'scare tactics' by private companies

Raptor.

bungeejumper
Lemon Half

Postby bungeejumper » January 10th, 2017, 4:16 pm

Raptor wrote:You may want to read this. A few years old but still relevant.

What he said. Most of these companies are the health equivalent of the Kwik-Fit winter checks for cars. They do them at an attractive price, in the hope of finding something that needs checking at further cost. Which they generally will, knowing that you're not likely to refuse the extra check if you've been scared.

By all means get a cholesterol check done - although it won't be a proper one unless it requires you to starve for twelve hours. Ask if it comes with a lipids breakdown, which will sort out your good cholesterol from your bad cholesterol. (Anything else is just a number.)

Get a blood pressure monitor (Asda currently have a Salter one for about £7.50) and use it several times in a day so as to get a fair average reading. Getting your pressure checked in a strange consulting room is going to give you 'white coat syndrome', and it's also useless.

Booze, ciggies, weight. You can do all that yourself. No cheating. You're a cyclist, I think, so you'll have an idea how much it takes to make you puff.

Check the old gonads when you're in the shower. You can ask your doc for a prostate check, but a lot of them won't do it because they say the false positives make the test useless.

At age 60 the Poohsticks People will be giving you bowel cancer tests every two years. Who says there's nothing to look forward to in later life?

Congratulations, you've just saved yourself a couple of hundred quid.

BJ

Slarti
Lemon Quarter

Postby Slarti » January 11th, 2017, 11:28 am

bungeejumper wrote:At age 60 the Poohsticks People will be giving you bowel cancer tests every two years. Who says there's nothing to look forward to in later life?

Offering, not giving.

They are about as reliable as prostate checks, from my understanding.

Slarti

bungeejumper
Lemon Half

Postby bungeejumper » January 11th, 2017, 1:19 pm

Offering, not giving.

The way they do it, it's "an offer you can't refuse". The last two times, they sent the damn kit on Christmas Eve and then started badgering me around 3rd January because I hadn't returned it yet. Well, I know it's a shock but I have better things to do in Christmas week than that.

Another ten days, and they wrote again to warn that they'd strike me off the check register permanently if I didn't stump up the stool pronto. I was sorely tempted to tell them where to stick their test, but I guess they'd already got there before me on that point. :lol:

And yes, I've had a false positive. Mildly worrying when it happens, but at least they're quick with their response times.

BJ

rhialto

Postby rhialto » February 5th, 2017, 4:28 pm

I might be too late, but don't touch this with a barge pole.

These 'screenings' are positively dangerous. They're bound to find something - they'll do sufficient tests that at least one will be abnormal. They'll then send you to your GP, who has to take a decision to ignore it or act on in.

There's a high risk you'll end up with imaging, or even invasive procedures, which will do you no good but will potentially cause harm.

Most screening tests aren't of net benefit - and the few that are are usually offered free. IF it's not endorsed by the National Screening Committee (https://www.gov.uk/government/groups/uk ... tee-uk-nsc) , don't do it.

bungeejumper
Lemon Half

Postby bungeejumper » February 6th, 2017, 11:16 am

Hi Rhialto, and welcome. :D

BJ

GJHarney
Lemon Slice

Postby GJHarney » February 11th, 2017, 9:23 am

The NHS over 50 health checks are ok and the cholesterol is broken down into the 'good' and bad' counts (my 'bad' one was fine, my 'good' one on the last test far too low, which is worrying as as I understand things it acts like additives in premium fuel that clean your engine, but a few diet tweaks should hopefully do the trick). Men should also be able to get a free NHS PSA blood test which is the more reliable why to check for various prostate problems but it is not 100%, even so I would ask for one: http://www.nhs.uk/Livewell/Prostatehealth/Pages/psa-test.aspx

The basic NHS health check is really just lifestyle discussions, weight, blood pressure, cholesterol and a blood test (although it will be potentially more if you have problems), so I'm guessing that the real benefits of a good paid for health check (and I know nothing about the company mentioned) would be if they include various body scans.

JMN2
Lemon Quarter

Postby JMN2 » March 20th, 2017, 11:03 am

While my friend was in Thailand he visited a health screening private company there, cost less than a hundred pounds, they took blood tests, urine, tool sample, basically every test that can be done without cutting one up, no analysis or advice, he just left with a thick stack of reports, in English, with lots of medical terminology and test result numbers. Then he spent a few days googling and asking around. Simples.

redsturgeon
Lemon Half

Postby redsturgeon » March 20th, 2017, 12:09 pm

JMN2 wrote:While my friend was in Thailand he visited a health screening private company there, cost less than a hundred pounds, they took blood tests, urine, tool sample, basically every test that can be done without cutting one up, no analysis or advice, he just left with a thick stack of reports, in English, with lots of medical terminology and test result numbers. Then he spent a few days googling and asking around. Simples.

OUCH!

Raptor
Lemon Quarter

Postby Raptor » March 20th, 2017, 1:18 pm

redsturgeon wrote:
JMN2 wrote:While my friend was in Thailand he visited a health screening private company there, cost less than a hundred pounds, they took blood tests, urine, tool sample, basically every test that can be done without cutting one up, no analysis or advice, he just left with a thick stack of reports, in English, with lots of medical terminology and test result numbers. Then he spent a few days googling and asking around. Simples.

OUCH!

Thank you for pointing that out. Has made my day and a long laugh, cat thinks I have gone mad. :lol:

Raptor.

charmalacious

Postby charmalacious » April 11th, 2017, 12:27 pm

Hi all,

Just stumbled upon. Wow, what a great question. Made me chuckle and had to join just to post a reply!
Ta.
Charms.
ps, the finance n investment stuff looks cool to.

Return to “Health & Wellbeing”