Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to GrahamPlatt,gpadsa,Steffers0,lansdown,Wasron, for Donating to support the site

Doc has told me to drink more!

Fitness tips, Relaxation, Mind and Body
bungeejumper
Lemon Half

Doc has told me to drink more!

Postby bungeejumper » December 17th, 2022, 11:33 am

Water, worse luck. :( Apparently my recent blood test shows that my potassium levels are at the upper reaches of acceptable, and that this is probably because I'm not taking in enough fluids.

I won't disagree with that. I really don't have a drinking habit, and I almost never hit my hydration targets. One morning mug of strong coffee is usually the only hot drink I'll have all day - if I'm truthful, I don't think I like the taste of milk all that much, although I'm not intolerant. And I just don't like tea. And I've tried adding lime juice to H2O, and it really doesn't do anything for me.

Ho hum, so it's back to drinking one and a half litres of plain cold water every day. Oh groan, how am I ever going to manage that? Do any other lemons need to set reminders to quaff a quick pint at lunchtime, and another in the mid-afternoon, and another at bedtime? What works for other people?

BJ

mc2fool
Lemon Half

Re: Doc has told me to drink more!

Postby mc2fool » December 17th, 2022, 1:14 pm

Squash. Orange & mango is probably my favourite but I also like apple & blackcurrant squash, orange, lemon & pineapple squash, and lime squash. There's a huge variety available. ;)

Hallucigenia
Lemon Quarter

Postby Hallucigenia » December 17th, 2022, 2:28 pm

I just have a pint glass by each basin, and just have a bit of water every time I'm nearby.

kempiejon
Lemon Quarter

Postby kempiejon » December 17th, 2022, 2:31 pm

bungeejumper wrote:Water, worse luck. :( Apparently my recent blood test shows that my potassium levels are at the upper reaches of acceptable, and that this is probably because I'm not taking in enough fluids.

I won't disagree with that. I really don't have a drinking habit, and I almost never hit my hydration targets. One morning mug of strong coffee is usually the only hot drink I'll have all day - if I'm truthful, I don't think I like the taste of milk all that much, although I'm not intolerant. And I just don't like tea. And I've tried adding lime juice to H2O, and it really doesn't do anything for me.

Ho hum, so it's back to drinking one and a half litres of plain cold water every day. Oh groan, how am I ever going to manage that? Do any other lemons need to set reminders to quaff a quick pint at lunchtime, and another in the mid-afternoon, and another at bedtime? What works for other people?

BJ

I remember when my gran was in her 90s and my parents, concerned she wasn't taking enough fluids, came up with the system of her setting a glass and bottle of water out each morning on the living room table. She had to finish the bottle by teatime. Worked OK except we recon she didn't always remember to set the kit up every morning.

NotSure
Lemon Slice

Postby NotSure » December 17th, 2022, 2:51 pm

mc2fool wrote:Squash. Orange & mango is probably my favourite but I also like apple & blackcurrant squash, orange, lemon & pineapple squash, and lime squash. There's a huge variety available. ;)

Ginger cordial is good too.

DrFfybes
Lemon Quarter

Postby DrFfybes » December 17th, 2022, 3:26 pm

Vimto.

After a couple of glasses of that, water will seem more tempting.

Paul

88V8
Lemon Half

Postby 88V8 » December 17th, 2022, 6:03 pm

bungeejumper wrote:Water, worse luck. :( Apparently my recent blood test shows that my potassium levels are at the upper reaches of acceptable...

Odd.
Recently had a BT which showed excessive potassium and yet I drink plenty.
I blame a vegetarian risotto with butternut squash which is high potassium.
Cut out the lunchtime banana, another culprit, and a week later was OK.

Liquid... glass of water and mug of tea before breakfast.
Milk with breakfast then coffee.
Mid-morning tea.
Lunchtime two glasses water then tea.
Afternoon tea.
Squash at 1800h, with hot water in winter.
Milk with dinner and perhaps some booze depending which day.
It just seems to click along if one gets into a routine.

V8

Lootman
The full Lemon

Postby Lootman » December 17th, 2022, 6:12 pm

88V8 wrote:perhaps some booze depending which day.

Same here, I only drink booze on days ending in a "y". :D

I don't really drink water. But I keep a bottle by my bedside and take a few sips during the night if/when I wake up. Other than that I drink:

1) Quadruple espresso first thing.
2) Maybe one cup of Earl Grey tea daily, but often not.
3) Wine with lunch and dinner.
4) Beer when I feel like it.

That's it. However if flying I drink a lot of water. And champagne. :D

Dod101
The full Lemon

Postby Dod101 » December 17th, 2022, 7:06 pm

I have very good tap water at my house but actually do not drink it that often. I have tea first thing, coffee with breakfast, and at least one more coffee during the morning. At lunchtime, usually a salady sort of snack, I then have coffee. Tea about 4 pm. At 6 pm or thereabouts I have gin or a whisky, and then no more liquid. Recently had a blood test and no comments about potassium or anything so I guess this routine could solve the high potassium levels.

Its now being 7pm or so on a Saturday, I will finish my gin and go and prepare something to eat.

It’s a hard life.

Dod

Lootman
The full Lemon

Postby Lootman » December 17th, 2022, 7:12 pm

Dod101 wrote:I have very good tap water at my house but actually do not drink it that often. I have tea first thing, coffee with breakfast, and at least one more coffee during the morning. At lunchtime, usually a salady sort of snack, I then have coffee. Tea about 4 pm. At 6 pm or thereabouts I have gin or a whisky, and then no more liquid. Recently had a blood test and no comments about potassium or anything so I guess this routine could solve the high potassium levels.

Its now being 7pm or so on a Saturday, I will finish my gin and go and prepare something to eat. It’s a hard life.

There are people who drink and smoke like fiends, eat red meat, and live to be 100.

Then there are people like the 54 year old vegan, gluten-free, teetotal friend of my wife who is in hospital right now because of her second stroke.

Funny old world.

Return to “Health & Wellbeing”