Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva,scotia,Anonymous,Cornytiv34, for Donating to support the site

Supreme Court / Article 50 / Why Everyone seems to know the outcome

Straight answers to factual questions
Forum rules
Direct questions and answers, this room is not for general discussion please
csearle
Lemon Quarter

Supreme Court / Article 50 / Why Everyone seems to know the outcome

Postby csearle » January 21st, 2017, 11:47 pm

Does anyone know why seemingly everyone already knows that the government's appeal in the Supreme Court regarding their prerogative powers to sign this Article 50 will fail (including by all accounts the government)?

Obviously I'm not desirous of a great lengthy discussion, I just wonder if I've missed something pretty obvious.

Thanks,
Chris

chas49
Lemon Quarter

Re: Supreme Court / Article 50 / Why Everyone seems to know the outcome

Postby chas49 » January 21st, 2017, 11:52 pm

Genuine question (and perhaps I've just been unobservant) but where are people saying they know the outcome?

csearle
Lemon Quarter

Postby csearle » January 22nd, 2017, 6:02 pm

chas49 wrote:Genuine question (and perhaps I've just been unobservant) but where are people saying they know the outcome?
Well in the news they constantly refer to, well perhaps not knowing, but certainly expecting the government's appeal to fail. This has been reported on Radio 4 to my knowledge, and according to a workmate of mine, by Andrew Neil on "This Week."

I read there have been four versions of Acts of Parliament circulating because of this expectation. Once in a while I hear the conditional tense being used, suggesting that there is the possibility of the appeal succeeding, but actually quite rarely.

Regards,
Chris

Clitheroekid
Lemon Quarter

Postby Clitheroekid » January 22nd, 2017, 7:14 pm

chas49 wrote:Genuine question (and perhaps I've just been unobservant) but where are people saying they know the outcome?

Well the bookies seem pretty confident - https://www.betfair.com/exchange/plus/# ... .128049829

Just over evens for the High Court ruling to be upheld, 7/2 for it to be reversed.

For what it's worth I'm with the bookies, simply because the High Court judges who heard the case were top drawer and analysed the legal issues very impressively. It's difficult to see how their reasoning can be faulted.

And it can't do any harm that most if not all of the Law Lords hearing the appeal will be anti-Brexit anyway - it's amazing how often learned legal reasons can be found to support the desired outcome!

csearle
Lemon Quarter

Postby csearle » January 22nd, 2017, 7:59 pm

Clitheroekid wrote:...the High Court judges who heard the case were top drawer and analysed the legal issues very impressively. It's difficult to see how their reasoning can be faulted.
Thanks, that does seem plausible to me.
Clitheroekid wrote:And it can't do any harm that most if not all of the Law Lords hearing the appeal will be anti-Brexit anyway - it's amazing how often learned legal reasons can be found to support the desired outcome!
Just as an aside, is it those self same Law Lords that sit in the Lords that decamped to this new place and now act under the name of the Supreme Court do you know?

Thanks, Chris

dspp
Lemon Half

Postby dspp » January 23rd, 2017, 9:58 am

I don't know the outcome, but there are two other points not mentioned below:

1) if gov win then I believe Remain-side can appeal it at European level
2) whereas if gov loses then they have said they will not appeal it at European level (instead going direct to Parliament, hence prepping bills)

So in a sense it is not an equal fight. Which side you think is unequal is a matter of opinion.

regards, dspp

Bigfoot111

Postby Bigfoot111 » January 23rd, 2017, 5:48 pm

dspp wrote:1) if gov win then I believe Remain-side can appeal it at European level

If this does happen then it opens the possibility of a very interesting political situation: a European court telling the UK government it does not have the authority to initiate proceedings to leave the EU. The press will have a field day.

Mike88
Lemon Slice

Postby Mike88 » January 23rd, 2017, 10:25 pm

Bigfoot111 wrote:
dspp wrote:1) if gov win then I believe Remain-side can appeal it at European level

If this does happen then it opens the possibility of a very interesting political situation: a European court telling the UK government it does not have the authority to initiate proceedings to leave the EU. The press will have a field day.

Such an eventuality will also delay BREXIT irrespective of the outcome and could even turn the next Election into another Referendum on whether we leave or stay in the EU.

Slarti
Lemon Quarter

Postby Slarti » January 24th, 2017, 10:00 am

Just been announced on radio that Supreme Court says it has to go through Parliament.

Interesting times.
Slarti

77ss
Lemon Quarter

Postby 77ss » January 24th, 2017, 10:25 am

Slarti wrote:Just been announced on radio that Supreme Court says it has to go through Parliament.

Interesting times.
Slarti

By 8 to 3. So much for the touted 7 to 4.

Predictable and illogical frothing from the right-wing tabloids.

UncleEbenezer
The full Lemon

Postby UncleEbenezer » January 24th, 2017, 12:18 pm

77ss wrote:Predictable and illogical frothing from the right-wing tabloids.

Some of them believe neither in the sovereignty of parliament nor the rule of law. Just in rule by press campaign and ill-informed mob.

They've been misinforming us for 30 years in pursuit of brexit, and they're not stopping now.

Moderator Message:
Hi - a tricky one to actually answer factually but a decent (and accepted by the OP) answer has been provided and events have moved on, so to prevent drifting into debate please could this topic now be closed? I am sure, without even having looked, that this will be being discussed over on one of the other boards if people wish to add comment there. Many thanks - Mel

Slarti
Lemon Quarter

Postby Slarti » January 24th, 2017, 12:32 pm

77ss wrote:
Slarti wrote:Just been announced on radio that Supreme Court says it has to go through Parliament.

Interesting times.
Slarti

By 8 to 3. So much for the touted 7 to 4.

Predictable and illogical frothing from the right-wing tabloids.

Wouldn't the tabloids have been frothing, whatever the result?

Its what they do, isn't it?

Slarti

Return to “Does anyone know?”